Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The difference is a dump isn't often going to lead to an odd man break the other way unless someone completely blows their coverage.
Sometimes, but a few counterpoints:

1) If the dump-in isn't good enough (which happens more than just rarely), it can lead to an odd man rush as guys head to change and the puck comes back quickly.

2) One player carrying the puck in shouldn't result in an odd man rush either, unless he just loses it at center ice and both other forwards are already at the offensive blue line.

3) Many times that people complain when a player is losing the puck it's when it's in deep (I know I have complained about it in the past), which shouldn't lead to an odd man break any more than dump and chase.

4) Dump and chase more often than not also doesn't lead to a scoring chance vs. a player carrying it is.

I'm not absolving Necas of any sins here. He hasn't scored enough given expectations. He's not good enough defensively. He stays not the perimeter too much for my tastes. He disappears for stretches. He makes some questionable decisions at times, etc.. He has flaws and strengths like most players do and I don't think he's worth a huge contract right now.

I just think some of the narratives about him are overblown.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The play in the World Cup where he lost the puck should qualify as a GVA.
World Hockey Championship, or the IIHF tourney, or, lovingly, the Škoda Cup.

World Cup is the NHL-organized thingy that at least tries to be best-on-best tournament, though YMMV seeing how they had the NA U23 team and Team Europe the last time around.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Speaking of RH centers, I wonder if Utah is willing to listen on Bjugstad. Has 1 year remaining at just $2.1M, is massive at 6'6" and 218 lbs, and had an under-the-radar 45 points in 76 games this season. If Utah is interested in Necas, that's a player who I would want as part of a package return.
Bjugstad is very poor defensively. The guy is a 4th liner playing up because zona had no centers

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Speaking of RH centers, I wonder if Utah is willing to listen on Bjugstad. Has 1 year remaining at just $2.1M, is massive at 6'6" and 218 lbs, and had an under-the-radar 45 points in 76 games this season. If Utah is interested in Necas, that's a player who I would want as part of a package return.
You're joking, right? He's going to be 32 next season and is historically a 20-30 point guy with staggered outlier seasons. Bjugstad for KK is one thing, Bjugstad as part of a package for Necas is a cap dump. Guy is terribad more often than not.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Unless he is forced to take him with no say in the matter, agree that Necas is a mismatch for Torts and how he demands players play the game. The tough love might work and it gets Necas game to a different place. But not sure that is the best landing spot for him and thus the highest return or willing partner from the Flyers side...

Reactions: A Star is Burns

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Bjugstad is very poor defensively. The guy is a 4th liner playing up because zona had no centers

I was thinking of him as a 4C upgrade with size and RHedness lol. All of you guys are overreacting to my suggestion; I never said that he would play on our 2nd line or anything like that. Any Necas package would have to include a 1st round pick, at least. I was thinking about accessory adds to that.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I was thinking of him as a 4C upgrade with size and RHedness lol. All of you guys are overreacting to my suggestion; I never said that he would play on our 2nd line or anything like that. Any Necas package would have to include a 1st round pick, at least. I was thinking about accessory adds to that.
why would our roster player coming back ever be a 4th liner? Just go sign Colin blackwell or similar.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It's only a rental if he doesn't re-sign, and I imagine if they made such a deal, they'd check if he'd (at the very least) be open to signing.

My issue with the deal is it keeps Necas in division, and he will absolutely torture us if that happens.
Well, I think any ufa re signing is a loaded issue with us. It’s hard to imagine JG and TK getting signed. Though both would help obviously. Maybe one would and the other wouldn’t. It’s just one thing to give up prospects for one, and something else to give a 50-70 pt scorer who’s team controlled currently for something similar.

Both would be closer to the team I think we’d all like.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
why would our roster player coming back ever be a 4th liner? Just go sign Colin blackwell or similar.

Blackwell is tiny, first of all, and none of the cheaper RHC options in UFA have a ton of size to them. That's why I was mentioning Bjugstad as a possible throw-in type of piece. Most of our cap should be reserved for Guentzel/Jarvis/one of Skjei/Pesce, so the RHC add likely needs to be lower on the cap hit.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I hadn’t seen this before from a journalist (he must read the hf boards). Friedman thinks Canes will buy out KK:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I hadn’t seen this before from a journalist (he must read the hf boards). Friedman thinks Canes will buy out KK:

I too would be thinking that if I hungered for those sweet Montréal clicks. Not that it isn't a plausible scenario. The contract was built to be bought out.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Not interested in Bjugstad but I would trade Necas for Crouse. Less goal scoring to-date but a big body that would give us a more physical presence on another line. Plus, reasonable cap hit with three years left.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Blackwell is tiny, first of all, and none of the cheaper RHC options in UFA have a ton of size to them. That's why I was mentioning Bjugstad as a possible throw-in type of piece. Most of our cap should be reserved for Guentzel/Jarvis/one of Skjei/Pesce, so the RHC add likely needs to be lower on the cap hit.

yea blackwell is 5'9 but a much better fit as a forechecker. But stunting your return on Necas to get a tall 4th line center is bad business. Especially an expensive 4th liner when the team is going to have cap issues anyways.

Reactions: Chan790 and DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Not interested in Bjugstad but I would trade Necas for Crouse. Less goal scoring to-date but a big body that would give us a more physical presence on another line. Plus, reasonable cap hit with three years left.

Crouse would be the picture-perfect trade add, but Utah likely would rather trade a 1st round pick, even a mid-to-high one, over someone like Crouse, I would think.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Speaking of KK, round 1 stat published by JFresh (at very least could upgrade his trade versus buyout possibility):

1716402228439.jpeg

Reactions: WreckingCrew

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

and he's probably right, the only alternative is taking back another bad contract. MAYBE Utah, San Jose, or Chicago taking him for futures if they for some reason think they can salvage something of his career, but then why not just wait for us to buy him out and sign him at half the price.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
in fairness Friedman threw a KK buyout as a possibility a couple of days ago. They share a show and kinda mimic each other's talking points.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
World Hockey Championship, or the IIHF tourney, or, lovingly, the Škoda Cup.

World Cup is the NHL-organized thingy that at least tries to be best-on-best tournament, though YMMV seeing how they had the NA U23 team and Team Europe the last time around.
Hey, it's my job to nit pick on stuff like that. It's your job to know about contracts and the cap and to make witty remarks about posts. Stay in your lane.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

The buyout would only be like $800k a year so maybe it's the right call, but man, my 3 year old will be a rising sophomore in high school when we stop paying for this lmao.

If we trade Necas and get a 2C (now that Konecny's been put on my mind he's my #1 target), Kotkaniemi is a very reasonable middle 6 winger (I thought he's looked great at wing) and we'd still get another 2 full summers to reap the rewards of the early buyout thing (before he turns 26).

I get that the cap crunch is now and not the next 2 summers, but there's also a very real scenario where he plays up to this contract anyway. I guess it probably is the lever they have available, so even if in a vacuum you wouldn't do that to Kotkaniemi, you wouldn't keep him if it meant giving up on signing Guentzel or whatever.

(That said, playing around in CapFriendly, it makes everything a whole lot easier if Kuznetsov simply become a 2C...)

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
The buyout would only be like $800k a year so maybe it's the right call, but man, my 3 year old will be a rising sophomore in high school when we stop paying for this lmao.

If we trade Necas and get a 2C (now that Konecny's been put on my mind he's my #1 target), Kotkaniemi is a very reasonable middle 6 winger (I thought he's looked great at wing) and we'd still get another 2 full summers to reap the rewards of the early buyout thing (before he turns 26).

I get that the cap crunch is now and not the next 2 summers, but there's also a very real scenario where he plays up to this contract anyway. I guess it probably is the lever they have available, so even if in a vacuum you wouldn't do that to Kotkaniemi, you wouldn't keep him if it meant giving up on signing Guentzel or whatever.

(That said, playing around in CapFriendly, it makes everything a whole lot easier if Kuznetsov simply become a 2C...)
I think Kuzy could be a good 2C with Jarvis on the right but the Canes would have to sign a good left winger to pair with them. Or put Svec with them, move Jake to the left on the top line and sign a right wing for the top line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad