Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
I wonder how many of the young prospects will find their way into the lineup. Its a great way to fill out the lineup and save $$$$$$
I am not the one to comment on the younger guys.. I don't follow that part enough to know who is ready to step in... I do believe that IF everyone on the team returned, which will not happen.. BUT if they did the Canes still need a Center for the 2nd line and a top line d-man to pair with Slavin. Those two spots are not on the current roster.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
From what I have read from Guentzel:
Enjoys the team mates.
Likes the area, said it has more to offer than he realized off the ice.
Thinks the team is a contender.
Wants long term stability for his family.

Sounds like he would stay, but looking at a 8y and NTC/NMC
If we are serious about winning a cup that shouldn't scare us at all

f***, we just gave Jordo a 3 year deal when he's already a shell of his former self, like c'mon.

And Necas is absolutely gone. Has apparently requested a trade

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Andy & Romo? Pffffftt

4 years x 2.9 million isn’t in the same ballpark as a 8 year 8+ million deal. That is scary. JG has injury history and is smaller. No guarantee he holds up very long

Reactions: DaveG and Daeavorn

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
From what I have read from Guentzel:
Enjoys the team mates.
Likes the area, said it has more to offer than he realized off the ice.
Thinks the team is a contender.
Wants long term stability for his family.

Sounds like he would stay, but looking at a 8y and NTC/NMC
It's good to have rules re: player contracts but clearly there are some that stand the test of time. 59 may be one of them.

FWIW: I'd suggest the decision to jettison Tro over term and assign comparable cap to a very medicore "younger" player in KK cost us this series and our chance at the Cup. At 30, Tro has performed highly the first two years of his 7 year contract and surely at 30 still has multiple good years left (maybe last year of his deal will be bad).

I'd sign 59 and not let him go to market because there is always an irrational bidder that will pry him away. Canes had a chance to get him locked up and now may lose him.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
It's good to have rules re: player contracts but clearly there are some that stand the test of time. 59 may be one of them.

FWIW: I'd suggest the decision to jettison Tro over term and assign comparable cap to a very medicore "younger" player in KK cost us this series and our chance at the Cup. At 30, Tro has performed highly the first two years of his 7 year contract and surely at 30 still has multiple good years left (maybe last year of his deal will be bad).

I'd sign 59 and not let him go to market because there is always an irrational bidder that will pry him away. Canes had a chance to get him locked up and now may lose him.
Tro’s increased performance has more to do with panarin and a lack of penalties going against him than anything. Trocheck wasn’t that good here.

Not even a hint of it. Just like lindholm. Sometimes guys get more points playing a long side 100 point wingers

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
IMG_3569.jpeg

He doesn’t sound particularly attached.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015

Hasn’t Dundon said they don’t want to do the make a run then rebuild cycle that seems to somewhat be the SOP for most teams?

The NYR don’t care as much about the ramifications of signing potentially bad contracts because there’s usually a glutton of FA’s knocking on their door. And if they get a few deep playoff runs out of a group of potentially poorly aging contracts they likely consider that a success.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Hasn’t Dundon said they don’t want to do the make a run then rebuild cycle that seems to somewhat be the SOP for most teams?

The NYR don’t care as much about the ramifications of signing potentially bad contracts because there’s usually a glutton of FA’s knocking on their door. And if they get a few deep playoff runs out of a group of potentially poorly aging contracts they likely consider that a success.
Rangers will lose some defensive depth this offseason and then they some big money needed the next.

Reactions: Tryamw and ndp

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Rangers will also be profitable regardless of the ramifications of bad contracts and if they go through a rebuild cycle. Dundon also knows that won't be the case here in Carolina.

Last edited:

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Probably best not to parse the exit interviews too much. Guentzel's a smart guy, the "would love to stay, but we'll see what happens" line is just what an agent would coach a big-time pending UFA to say.

On the 32 Thoughts Necas report, Friedman is definitely more cautious as an insider compared to Dreger or Seravalli. So I'm not surprised his other updates weren't all that illuminating, but he speaks more definitively on Necas.

Waddell on the other hand, we all know he loves to negotiate through the media. It's just the correct posturing from his position to not even suggest we wouldn't sign Necas long-term. But we've seen how Necas has been used as a potential trade piece multiple times (Tkachuk, EP, etc.) and there's enough smoke to see the writing on the wall.

I'm conflicted because I think there's room for a high-variance guy like him who doesn't necessarily fit as a typical Cane, but has that game-breaking skill that you need when the rest of the squad doesn't have it going. But with Jarvis (sometimes Svech) on the right side, and right-shot prospects like FUS, Nadeau, and Blake, it's probably the easiest position for us to deal at the moment.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Will there be a more dynamic forward on the trade market? You’ve got to sign him and he’s close to ufa so that would maybe hurt the return. I think both sides will be happy to move on.

I think this will hurt us but if it has to happen just get it over with. I assume he has arbitration rights and could get a one year deal to walk himself to ufa if we don’t trade him or give him the cash he wants.

Without Necas we’re going to have an interesting second line, especially if Kuzy doesn’t get the job.

He has arb rights, but has 2 RFA years left. His AHL season didn’t count towards his timeline.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I think we need a new coach before we make any personnel decisions. Let's face it, Rod wants a team full of 48's, 11's and 71's. Talk of acquiring Laine or Zegras is pure folly. If we listed Brind'Amour's 10 most important qualities in a player, offensive skill would rank about number 8.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I think we need a new coach before we make any personnel decisions. Let's face it, Rod wants a team full of 48's, 11's and 71's. Talk of acquiring Laine or Zegras is pure folly. If we listed Brind'Amour's 10 most important qualities in a player, offensive skill would rank about number 8.
Until we have a top 5 goalie in the league we need a team to play sound defense. That isn’t a rba problem

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Does he have the right to choose between a one or two year deal or is that the teams choice? I forget how it’s currently working.
When the player elects for salary arbitration, the team gets to choose the term. And when team elects for salary arbitration, the player gets to choose the term. The exception is when there's only one year to UFA, then no one can elect for 2 years arbitration.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
When the player elects for salary arbitration, the team gets to choose the term. And when team elects for salary arbitration, the player gets to choose the term.
Honestly Necas would have to wrestle with getting 2 years at 5 million per in a system he doesn’t like and potentially losing money in the 2nd year vs taking the 1 year. Walking Necas to UFA isn’t ideal but I would take that gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad