Roster Building (& Training Camp) XXIII: Re-signings, Re-considerations, Recriminations

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Cap move???
I’m assuming pure cap move that kind of skirts the rules a bit… if the player is cool with it…but may be wrong and it’s a pure cap move plus Lemieux wanting to get a form of conditioning assignment while we get some banked cap dollars benefit..

Expectation is Lemieux doesn’t play until there is an injury with the nhl roster….. Blake has now settled things for Rod and it will take a few bad games from him to rotate him out…. So better to risk trying to send down lemieux when no one really paying attention after he has been scratched and not on teams radars so we get some cap relief…

He could clear and he goes nowhere… stays with the team and we don’t force him to go down as part of our agreement with him.. so he just sits in the press box same as he is currently doing and we get banked cap space until he is needed to play…Whereby we do an “emergency call up for injury purposes which allows us to play him for a period of time and then “send him back down” to “Chicago” without needing another waivers if the injured nhl player comes back inside the window of the rules for emergency call ups for waiver electively players..

He is on a one way so he gets paid the same nhl salary sitting in the press box, practicing and traveling with the team as he would playing in Chicago…. We could have an agreement with him not to send him down and he stays with the team….

Or it could really be he wants to get a few games to keep up his game shape in the case of an injury…

Either way we clear a few more bucks off our daily cap hit so we can bank more cap per day towards the trade deadline than we currently are with him fully on the roster…. It’s not a huge amount as he is on a league min type deal… but every bit helps when we are trying to bring in a more expensive contract at the deadline…

Will be interesting to see if it was a pure paper move and he stays with the team after he clears or if he does go down so he can play in Chicago… maybe they have a need for him or he wants some game action and to help that young team…

ETA: he might not get to travel with the team while he is “assigned”…. I’m trying to remember the couple other times we kind of did this on paper but didn’t actually send the player down like the Martinook waiver thing to start the season, etc.. basically where the line is before it becomes cap circumvention and raises the ire of the other teams…, if Lemieux is happy and in on it, and he gets his full salary no matter what and others had the chance to claim him, whether he has to actually report is not is where this gets fuzzy for me… so may be a lot of my rambling can be ignored and it really is a true assignment because overall the team wants the cap banking most of all in this situation or they wouldn’t be doing it.. I doubt they want to send Lemieux down if he doesn’t want to go and lose the nhl level amenities for riding the bus even with Chicago being a higher end AHL situation..

Last edited:

Roland of Gilead

The Gunslinger
May 18, 2007
Dark Tower
Have to say, Canes roster is not near to win Stanley Cup. Roster is so much weaker than a year ago. Defence lost so much.... defence. Offence lost 30% its production. Kotkaniemi is a 3rd/4rd line center, but you have him at 2nd? Staal is so slow nowdays that Martinook is always offside? ETC?

I love Canes, but your trades were so bad IMO....

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Have to say, Canes roster is not near to win Stanley Cup. Roster is so much weaker than a year ago. Defence lost so much.... defence. Offence lost 30% its production. Kotkaniemi is a 3rd/4rd line center, but you have him at 2nd? Staal is so slow nowdays that Martinook is always offside? ETC?

Who you be?

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

uhhhhh, what trades??

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Considering they haven’t made a player for player trade since Guentzel at the deadline…what is you talking about?

They lost a few 30-something UFAs that they refused to give max term to. In a cap world, there’s no way they could have kept last year’s version of the team together anyway. It’s not like they did anything in the playoffs anyway, change was needed.

If you’re referring to their ufa signings, I think you’ll mostly find praise for them bringing in Gostisbehere and Walker on shorter term deals and for less money combined than Skjei got. Their forward signings were lacking, but what cap space did they have and who else other than Guentzel was really available this off-season? This is a transition year, any rational Canes’ fan recognizes that. They’re still very likely a playoff team.

Think I forget to say “Bless your heart”

Now kindly piss off

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

Go then. There are other boards than these.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

I get it man, sometimes you just feel like you have to say it.

And thank goodness you did, really. Someone has to.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

As for your comment, well, the Canes wanted to keep their boy Jarvis for as long as they possibly could. The moves that they made in UFA were done in the way that they were in order to both maintain team depth and to give them the room to max-term Jarvis. That means a lot of swings on guys who could be greater than the sum of their parts. It's honestly not all that different from how Bill Zito and the Panthers run their roster.

Last edited:

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006

You've forgotten the face of your father.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad