Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

AvalancheSpeedsters

Aug 2, 2005
Kamloops, BC
If you're trading for Gibson you're essentially just paying for cap relief. That dude will play two games then park his ass on IR for the rest of the year, just like he always does
If you played for a team like the Ducks, outshot , outplayed on a daily basis for 4 years you’d do the same . Going to a winning team changes attitudes in a hurry

Reactions: CobraAcesS

AvalancheSpeedsters

Aug 2, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Coming to Colorado the by your logic wouldn’t change his attitude then ;)
I suppose I walked right into that one
1729117254211.jpeg

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it :thumbu:

Not an ideal start to the season, but there are some positive signs. Averaging over 3+ goals a game in scoring (without Lehks, Drouin, Nuke, Landy & Toews). Mittelstadt really hitting his strides. Ritchie is a breath of fresh air.

As we get troops back, and the chemistry starts building, we'll be back with a vengeance. We are still a heavy weight, and we are still in a Stanley Cup window. I have no doubts we'll bounce back, and I also think this adversity will form part of our resilience and resurgence (and make no mistakes, we'll clique).

We just have to hang in there. I'm glad Bednar isn't or doesn't seem too flustered. Stability, support, and sticking together (even as a fanbase) is key here. These tougher times, make the better times taste all that sweeter.

Poor old Georgiev / Annunen are really struggling at the moment. Their confidence seems shot, playing behind what appears an unrecognizable team in front of them at times. No excuses, they could be way better, but I also think once that swagger returns (goalies need a swagger), and our troops return, we'll be much, much better for it.

I don't really want to talk about me. All I'll say is I respect everyone's view. The more negative and angry someone is, just says to me how passionate they are about our teams results & culture, so I could never knock anyone for their opinion, good, bad and ugly - because at the end of the day, we all want the same thing - and I really think we aren't too far off or long in regards to making that happen again.

Cheers :)

IMG_5291.gif

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The rationale for me is simple:

- Gets the Avs a similar defensman to Girard who is a bit bigger
- Gets the Avs their best shot at a really good goaltender. Yes, there's huge risk given his play the last several years but you aren't going to find a good-to-great goalie available league-wide.
- Allows the Avs to not only jettison Georgiev but Wood as well, and if the Ducks were willing to retain on Fowler or Gibson it could give the Avs the necessary cap space to bring Landeskog and Nichushkin back without issues.

Obviously it's a massive trade that is far-fetched but in an ideal world for me personally:

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Mittelstadt - Rantanen
Landeskog - Colton - Kovalenko
Kelly - Ivan - O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Fowler - Manson
Ludvig - Malinski

Gibson
Kahkonen

With a deadline deal or two to shore up the 4th line/3rd pair would be unreal GMing.

I gave you flack about Wood, but I'd do that. I'd rather just keep it simple though.

It seems so far away to actually imagine Landy and Nuke in the lineup at the same time though. Hope it happens by January.

Reactions: dahrougem2

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
This is more a scouting question...how do you identify good young bottom six talent? A guy that was maybe drafted offensively but failed to sustain those numbers but have the tools, speed, IQ, and mentality to relish a transition to defensive bottom sixer..like Cogliano. Or even better yet, how do you find the next Matt Calvert and LOC? Is there some specific trait these guys and really any really great 3rd liners possess in common? How do you find the guys who will relish the suck involved in those um...highly contested minutes.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
There’s a famous Einstein quote - “God does not play dice with human life.” But then Hawking comes along and shows that life is really random.

Not the same discussion but if it applies there, why would it not apply here?

For every trait that one considers to be important, you can look at one guy who was successful that has it and another 50 or more guys who have it but aren’t as successful.

Work ethic and dedication of players are a factor but “nature vs nurture” is also a big part of this. Organizational fit is also a part. How many other Logan OConnors were out there in the NHL but amounted to a lot less because some organizations value traits differently?

If this were baseball, it’s a world where a .210 hitter is good and a .190 hitter is normal.

Sorry for the references that are all over the map. It’s not often you see a post invoking Einstein, Hawking, “nature vs nurture”, and the Mendoza Line. And what’s missing? Bentham vs Kant (greatest good for greatest number vs intrinsic value) or an Alexander Solzhenitsyn reference? Sorry guys. It was already all over the map enough.

In the end, focusing on the player trait also involves blaming the player. Don’t dismiss luck as it also relates to fit/coaching/development.

Last edited:
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
There’s a famous Einstein quote - “God does not play dice with human life.” But then Hawking comes along and shows that life is really random.

For every trait that one considers to be important, you can look at one guy who was successful that has it and another 50 or more guys who have it but aren’t as successful.

Work ethic and dedication of players are a factor but “nature vs nurture” is also a big part of this. Organizational fit is also a part. How many other Logan OConnors were out there in the NHL but amounted to a lot less because some organizations value traits differently?

If this were baseball, it’s a world where a .210 hitter is good and a .190 hitter is normal.

Sorry for the references that are all over the map. It’s not often you see a post invoking Einstein, Hawking, “nature vs nurture”, and the Mendoza Line. And what’s missing? Bentham vs Kant (greatest good for greatest number vs intrinsic value) or an Alexander Solzhenitsyn reference? Sorry guys. It was already all over the map enough.

In the end, focusing on the player trait also involves blaming the player. Don’t dismiss luck as it also relates to fit/coaching/development.
Nerd :)

• Haha
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

IMG_1196.gif

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
A 4th for Kovacevic and two 3rds for Logan Thompson. Those are two trades that Cmac should have totally been on, that would have solidified two needs with at league min. cap hits and very reasonable prices. So many missed chances over the summer.

Reactions: Freaky Styley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad