F Rutger McGroarty - University of Michigan, NCAA (2022, 14th, WPG; traded to PIT)

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Good luck to Rutger McCrybaby, have fun in Pittsburgh where forward prospects go to die. Besides Malkin and Crosby, who were sure fire NHL players, not one forward on their roster was developed by Pittsburgh. You wanted out of Winnipeg, a phenomenal place to develop (see Connors, Ehlers, Scheifele, Appleton, Lowry), live with the consequences. He should have been thinking long term for his career. A lot of these kids should be better advised by their agents, in this case Pat Brisson (Mario Lemieux good buddy).
Rutger wanted out and you are writing paragraphs on a hockey board , I think he wins , got what he wanted I guess

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Interesting that the Caps managed to soften the post-Ovy era blow and build a pretty good prospects pool. The future over there actually doesn't look all that bad. They did this with some smart drafting, while the Pens let it all go and left Kyle Dubas with a poo-poo platter of options.

If the Pens took Yurov over Pickering in 2022, they'd be in a much better situation. I get that hindsight is 20/20, but even back then it was a baffling pick. I liked the McGroarty trade, but Dubas needs to pull more rabbits out of the hat.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Interesting that the Caps managed to soften the post-Ovy era blow and build a pretty good prospects pool. The future over there actually doesn't look all that bad. They did this with some smart drafting, while the Pens let it all go and left Kyle Dubas with a poo-poo platter of options.

If the Pens took Yurov over Pickering in 2022, they'd be in a much better situation. I get that hindsight is 20/20, but even back then it was a baffling pick. I liked the McGroarty trade, but Dubas needs to pull more rabbits out of the hat.
Pickering was drafted right where he was expected to go. The fact we didn’t draft Lambert is a travesty. But, Pickering just hasn’t really improved all that much. He is going to need at least two/3 years in the AHL before he is getting NHL minutes.

I don’t mind the trade for Rutger but I don’t expect him to ever be a big impact player. He’ll get some big goals here and there but he’ll never drive a line. I was a big fan of Yager, but I feel like he hasn’t taken the step I thought he would. I think it was a fair trade for both teams.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Seems like the goalposts are now being moved.

He quite literally got an NHL job. That's it. That's the end of that discussion. He got what he wanted, and Pittsburgh held up their end.

Obviously there's no guarantee on what happens once that happens. Maybe he struggles. Maybe he doesn't. He's not a Bedard or Michkov. It likely won't be smooth sailing from there. Isn't for most 20 year olds trying to prove themselves in this league. But he got the opportunity with Pittsburgh he wanted.

And beyond that, I'm not sure how anything has been proven that he's not ready for the NHL. He's played less than 35 total minutes in the NHL. And even if we want to go there, he looked absolutely okay in the game I saw and had a good preseason. If anything, the evidence points to that he is NHL ready. Further, Pittsburgh is going to give him an opportunity that he wouldn't have gotten in Winnipeg. For all we know, Winnipeg might've not given him any opportunity to be a regular in the NHL this year no matter how well he did in the minors. That won't be the case in Pittsburgh, and they've already shown that they are willing to give him the chance to play in the NHL, if he earned it.

So save the stage five clinging. Let it go. You traded for a good player. You don't need to be so petty.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Hearing a trade request..
Seems like the goalposts are now being moved.

He quite literally got an NHL job. That's it. That's the end of that discussion. He got what he wanted, and Pittsburgh held up their end.

Obviously there's no guarantee on what happens once that happens. Maybe he struggles. Maybe he doesn't. He's not a Bedard or Michkov. It likely won't be smooth sailing from there. Isn't for most 20 year olds trying to prove themselves in this league. But he got the opportunity with Pittsburgh he wanted.

And beyond that, I'm not sure how anything has been proven that he's not ready for the NHL. He's played less than 35 total minutes in the NHL. And even if we want to go there, he looked absolutely okay in the game I saw and had a good preseason. If anything, the evidence points to that he is NHL ready. Further, Pittsburgh is going to give him an opportunity that he wouldn't have gotten in Winnipeg. For all we know, Winnipeg might've not given him any opportunity to be a regular in the NHL this year no matter how well he did in the minors. That won't be the case in Pittsburgh, and they've already shown that they are willing to give him the chance to play in the NHL, if he earned it.

So save the stage five clinging. Let it go. You traded for a good player. You don't need to be so petty.
Buch - I think he's proven he is NOT NHL ready. What makes you say he is if he's on his way to WBS?

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
Mcgroarty has the bust word written all over his face, mark my words. Those egocentric type of person who thinks too highly of themselves usually doesn't do good when they hit a brick wall, showing them how far they were from the elite level. It's a rude awakening for him and I hope that it will teach him a proper humility lesson. :teach:

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Mcgroarty has the bust word written all over his face, mark words. Those egocentric type of person who thinks too highly of themselves usually doesn't do good when they hit a brick wall, showing them how far they were from the elite level. It's a rude awakening for him and I hope that it gives him a proper humility lesson. :teach:
He put up a ppg in the preseason and is now going to the AHL to develop with more playing time. Literally no reason to think he's going to bust besides he hurt your feelings.

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
He put up a ppg in the preseason and is now going to the AHL to develop with more playing time. Literally no reason to think he's going to bust besides he hurt your feelings.
Who cares about preseason points. Also, I'm not even a fan of either team and doesn't care about that scrub Mcgroarty. I just smile when I see immature kids getting put back in their place.

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
Nobody cares if he hurts my feelings or your feelings or anybody's feelings. Why you trying to put the focus on that ?

All we know is that he's not good enough for the NHL right now and will be riding busses in the AHL, something that he wanted to avoid at all costs. Sometimes Karma hits people's pretty hard 👍 and it's hilarious to see.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Rutger wanted out and you are writing paragraphs on a hockey board , I think he wins , got what he wanted I guess
And your point is? You're at 13,000 Posts, keep it up winner...All I was saying with my "Paragraph" was that he would have been better off career-wise staying in Winnipeg, not sure where why you're chirping instead of replying with something constructive?

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
And your point is? You're at 13,000 Posts, keep it up winner...All I was saying with my "Paragraph" was that he would have been better off career-wise staying in Winnipeg, not sure where why you're chirping instead of replying with something constructive?
Agreed, look at that Turin person replying to me with a meaningless answer. So that's how they got to their 23k+ messages... the quality of the comments on this board is pretty bad nowadays. Sad to see

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
The guy demanded an nhl job and the Jets said he had to earn it. He shoes and gets traded to a club who promises an nhl spot. He signs and it takes not even a week for him to be sent to the A because that’s where he needs to develop. He needs to get over his belief he’s an nhl player. It’s not a development league.
I don't think they promised him an NHL spot at all. In his first press conference he literally said they didn't promise him anything and he'd have to earn it.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
Good luck to Rutger McCrybaby, have fun in Pittsburgh where forward prospects go to die. Besides Malkin and Crosby, who were sure fire NHL players, not one forward on their roster was developed by Pittsburgh. You wanted out of Winnipeg, a phenomenal place to develop (see Connors, Ehlers, Scheifele, Appleton, Lowry), live with the consequences. He should have been thinking long term for his career. A lot of these kids should be better advised by their agents, in this case Pat Brisson (Mario Lemieux good buddy).
He didn’t “want out of Winnipeg” because he was never in Winnipeg to begin with

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
The guy demanded an nhl job and the Jets said he had to earn it. He shoes and gets traded to a club who promises an nhl spot. He signs and it takes not even a week for him to be sent to the A because that’s where he needs to develop. He needs to get over his belief he’s an nhl player. It’s not a development league.
You have no idea what he demanded or didn’t demand.

PGH was up front with him that the AHL was a possibility, and yet he still signed with them. Clearly there was more to his decision not to play for WPG than an aversion to the AHL.

It’s not like he signed and then demanded a trade. He never signed a contract with the Jets so he doesn’t owe the franchise a damn thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad