Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIV: Walk the line into the ring of fire

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Gorton is totally f*cking this up by waiting for the last minute.

He knows he needs to either trade Kreider by Monday or sign him or risk getting John Tavared. The longer he waits the more leverage other GMs have and Kreider has and they all know this.

In the end we either will trade Kreider for a low value deal, or we will sign Kreider for a terrible team for the team.

He should have given Kreider a take it or leave it deal days ago. Gorton is dropping the ball on this.

I mean I guess this could happen but you nor anybody else has any idea what is really going on right now and what Gorton is considering. We will find out in less than 72 hours though. I highly doubt he is stupid enough to be John Taveresed.

Reactions: NYRangers0723

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I mean I guess this could happen but you nor anybody else has any idea what is really going on right now and what Gorton is considering. We will find out in less than 72 hours though. I highly doubt he is stupid enough to be John Taveresed.
. You can tell some people are starting to lose it over this thing lol. Look I admit my first preference is for CK to stay for a reasonable deal. But I understand that it might work out. My only issue is that I’m not convinced we are getting a awesome return. Either way I’ve seen plenty of players I like come and go. I just find it silly that if CK does stay for a reasonable deal some will go batshit lol

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
. You can tell some people are starting to lose it over this thing lol. Look I admit my first preference is for CK to stay for a reasonable deal. But I understand that it might work out. My only issue is that I’m not convinced we are getting a awesome return. Either way I’ve seen plenty of players I like come and go. I just find it silly that if CK does stay for a reasonable deal some will go batshit lol

They will and they will whine for the entire time he is signed for if that happens. I believe he will be traded for a 1st and a B prospect plus a lower pick.

Reactions: NYRangers0723

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
They will and they will whine for the entire time he is signed for if that happens. I believe he will be traded for a 1st and a B prospect plus a lower pick.
Yup that’s what I’ve been thinking too. A late first and a B level prospect. Better than nothing I guess but makes our team weaker. I just have a hard time seeing the punting the year away when they have a playoff shot. Sends a shitty message

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
What is your idea of a reasonable deal?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Yup that’s what I’ve been thinking too. A late first and a B level prospect. Better than nothing I guess but makes our team weaker. I just have a hard time seeing the punting the year away when they have a playoff shot. Sends a shitty message

It will certainly make this team weaker and the playoffs will not happen this year for sure. I'm enjoying the way this team is playing right now.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Well the goal is to win the Stanley Cup. Not to squeak into the playoffs as the 8th seed to play TB. So keeping players to try and do that does not sound like a good plan to me.
Of course the goal is to win the Stanley Cup but that doesn’t mean you can’t try to be a playoff team if you are close which we are getting. If you have a hot young goaltender like we have you never know.

Reactions: egelband

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Of course the goal is to win the Stanley Cup but that doesn’t mean you can’t try to be a playoff team if you are close which we are getting. If you have a hot young goaltender like we have you never know.
Reasonable deal for kreider? You didnt reply the first time

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Some posters here cant think long term though.
Bullshit. Most of us were all for the rebuild. In fact I can guarantee I wanted to rebuild probably before you. If you have read my posts I never said we should self rent our UFA. I simply said if CK comes down in price to what Gorton is comfortable with then it makes sense

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Ok, we’re basically in the position where, imo, pay a fortune or (blank) you

Anybody agree?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Well trying to make the playoffs this year at the expense of acquiring assets to help the team reach another level in the years to come does not sound like a very good plan to me. Besides, trading some players away doesn't mean they suddenly have no chance to keep playing well.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Bullshit. Most of us were all for the rebuild. In fact I can guarantee I wanted to rebuild probably before you. If you have read my posts I never said we should self rent our UFA. I simply said if CK comes down in price to what Gorton is comfortable with then it makes sense
Oh you guarantee that huh? Back it up

Reactions: Kupo

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Im gonna say it. I wish Haley didnt go down with an injury so we wouldnt be stuck in this situation rn. We would still be day dreaming about byfield

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Some posters here cant think long term though.
So, long term, how does Kreider make us a 'worse' team? Minus the bottleneck this upcoming season, the cap will not be an issue.

You can't get to your long goals by disregarding short - intermediate goals. All you see is long term. You don't know how you're going to get there but you envision some utopia of talent and cohesiveness.

Keep repeating the same talking points. You dont even realize what you're saying.

How did STL win? Was it with teenagers and young 20 year olds? Or was it late 20 - early 30's?
How did WAS win? Was it with teenagers and kids in their early 20's? Or was it mid/late 20's - early 30's?
How did PITT win? Was it with older vets and some form of youth infusion? or just HF dream of kids and prospects?

What you're proposing is waiting until these 19-22 year old come of age, which is 6-7 years from now... and by then, HOPE AND PRAY it works. Wait 7 years for Chytil and Kakko to come of age to lead a team. Solid plan. In your dream world there are no vets, yet in the real world, you need a strong vet presence to win.

How I see it.
We can compete and win in the short term. 1-2 years.
We can compete and win in the intermediate 3-5 years.
We can compete and win in the long term 6+ years.

It's not 1 or the other.

We currently have an abundance of ELC and controllable assets. So over the next 5-7 years we will get great value from them. Combine that with GOOD vet talent ( .ie Panarin.. Kreider.. NOT Staal ) there's a recipe for some delicious success. May be wise to take advantage of Igor's prime. He's 24.

When Fox, Chytil, Kakko etc reach UFA years, Panarin and Kreider will be coming off the books. At this point we'd have accumulated 7 years worth of draft picks... ( Yes I know, you forgot about that. It's an on going process.... ) Fox, Chytil, Kakko etc become the vets and we infuse more ELC/controllable asset talent into the mix.

The fact that I have to spell it out to this extent is mind numbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad