Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLVI: Dog Days Pending

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Takeaways:

-Dan Girardi will be a Ranger next season, no matter what

-Everyone except Lundqvist, Skjei, and Buchnevich are available

-The Rangers are going to go hard for Jimmy Vesey

-It is very likely that Nash gets traded this summer, but the Rangers will have to retain salary

-The Rangers will be very busy on the trade market, not in the UFA market.

-Rangers will most likely wait until Shattenkirk becomes a UFA next summer, but he may price out regardless

-The Rangers are not likely to make a play for Stamkos

Did I miss anything?

Honestly, other than Girardi being an immovable boat anchor, I like it.
Thanks for summarizing what I was too lazy to type out.
It's also another indictment of AV atrocious deployment of the RHDs.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Lots of overreacting here. We haven't even seen what's going to happen and how much things will change

I'm fine with being a lotto team.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Please, by all means, explain what logic the front office is missing.

There is zero reason for the team to be trading prime assets like McDonagh/Stepan/Hayes/Kreider. Unless the plan is to tank for a couple years and stock picks, but then why aren't they trading Hank?

They don't need to blow it up at all. And them allegedly not even considering buying out or asking Girardi to waive his clause is beyond stupidity on their end.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I kind of like hearing that the brass is listening on McD, Step, and Brassard aside from the obvious Nash. You want to talk about retooling the core, there ya go.

No mention of Staal or Zucc in that group which is a little interesting.

NoQuitInNewMexico

it's okay cause it's all just the way it should be
Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Hank is the big internal contradiction, we can't have a "full rebuild" Leafs/Isles style with him winning meaningless games and knowing the team isn't a contender. Keeping him on a terrible team can actually be pretty awful as far as hockey media circuses go. But I don't think we're going from all-in to all-out in a couple months. I guess it will be things kind of like the Bruins did, some (potentially unpopular) tinkering with the core to make the team generally younger, giving the coach a chance, and keeping a foot in the water just in case the group clicks (theirs didn't).

Last edited:

jenkinsNYR9

Dec 5, 2011
I kind of like hearing that the brass is listening on McD, Step, and Brassard aside from the obvious Nash. You want to talk about retooling the core, there ya go.

But retooling the core is useless if Girardi and Staal are still here and Yandle walks. You are completely ignoring the massive problem on this team. You're moving the few positives on the team thinking that was the issue. They won't be a lotto team with Hank around. Now they'll be stuck in a loop of mediocrity.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
But retooling the core is useless if Girardi and Staal are still here and Yandle walks. You are completely ignoring the massive problem on this team. You're moving the few positives on the team thinking that was the issue. They won't be a lotto team with Hank around. Now they'll be stuck in a loop of mediocrity.

Exactly. Retooling with Staal and Girardi still here is useless. Might as well go full rebuild.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
There is zero reason for the team to be trading prime assets like McDonagh/Stepan/Hayes/Kreider. Unless the plan is to tank for a couple years and stock picks, but then why aren't they trading Hank?

They don't need to blow it up at all. And them allegedly not even considering buying out or asking Girardi to waive his clause is beyond stupidity on their end.

How do you know there is zero reason? What if a GM is offering up elite building blocks in exchange for one of them? What if the Avs love Kreider and offer Barrie? What if the Wild offer up Spurgeon+ for Stepan? What if a team dying for a #1 on an affordable deal offers up a kings ransom for McDonagh? The management would be doing the franchise a disservice if they weren't listening on pretty much everyone.

Maybe they've kicked Girardi's name around the league and found nobody is interested. Their best option is to hope he can play up his value next season and maybe land a suitor, or expose him in the expansion draft and hope he gets taken. While he's not a great defender anymore, I can't think of too many guys I'd rather have mentoring a young blue line.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Well I think that was implied when he said everyone in the organization except Hank, Buch and Skjei is available. The team has some really quality pieces on good contracts, they could sell off a couple players and possibly turn the team around within a year.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
How do you know there is zero reason? What if a GM is offering up elite building blocks in exchange for one of them? What if the Avs love Kreider and offer Barrie? What if the Wild offer up Spurgeon+ for Stepan? What if a team dying for a #1 on an affordable deal offers up a kings ransom for McDonagh? The management would be doing the franchise a disservice if they weren't listening on pretty much everyone.

Maybe they've kicked Girardi's name around the league and found nobody is interested. Their best option is to hope he can play up his value next season and maybe land a suitor, or expose him in the expansion draft and hope he gets taken. While he's not a great defender anymore, I can't think of too many guys I'd rather have mentoring a young blue line.

Was just going to post something similar. I'm firmly in the belief that they can retool, but management is finally talking about moves that will help set us up for the long-term, and we're freaking out. There's no winning here.

Those players would return great assets. Gorton isn't trading these guys for garbage. Imagine the coup you'd get for trading McDonagh to Dallas? You don't think Nill would salivate at the idea of a McDonagh-Klingberg top pairing signed cheaply for the next three years?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Wild have serious interest in Stepan.

Alex Tuch. 2014 first round pick. Remember when Gorton went to the East Regional in Worcester last month. BC was playing. They also have Joel Eriksson-Ek. 2015 first round pick. Jonas Brodin. 15th pick in the June draft. Charlie Coyle. They also have a young Russian Krill Kaprizov. Matt Dumba.

The Wild are loaded with hideous contracts. They might buyout Vanek which would clear $5M in space.

Stepan has a $6.5M cap hit.

15th pick overall
Coyle or Dumba. Coyle.
Tuch or Eriksson-Ek. The Swede is the better player. The Wild have already signed him. They haven't decided where Eriksson-Ek will play next season. Tuch is a right handed shot left winger. He is also signed.

Stepan is a signed player for next 5 seasons. He has either a NMC or NTC in years 3 & 4 and a limited NTC to 15 teams in years 5 & 6.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Of course Rick Nash is available — as is everyone in the organization other than Henrik Lundqvist, Brady Skjei and Pavel Buchnevich. The Rangers, we’re told, are prepared to listen to offers for everyone.

That includes Ryan McDonagh, Derek Stepan, Derick Brassard, Chris Kreider and Kevin Hayes, each player’s availability, of course, will be dependent upon the exchange rate in return. But nothing is off the table. And the Wild are believed to have serious interest in native Minnesotan Stepan.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/25/you-might-not-recognize-anyone-on-the-rangers-next-season/

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
The Wild have serious interest in Stepan.

Alex Tuch. 2014 first round pick. Remember when Gorton went to the East Regional in Worcester last month. BC was playing. They also have Joel Eriksson-Ek. 2015 first round pick. Jonas Brodin. 15th pick in the June draft. Charlie Coyle. They also have a young Russian Krill Kaprizov. Matt Dumba.

The Wild are loaded with hideous contracts. They might buyout Vanek which would clear $5M in space.

Stepan has a $6.5M cap hit.

15th pick overall
Coyle or Dumba. Coyle.
Tuch or Eriksson-Ek. The Swede is the better player. The Wild have already signed him. They haven't decided where Eriksson-Ek will play next season. Tuch is a right handed shot left winger. He is also signed.

Stepan is a signed player for next 5 seasons. He has either a NMC or NTC in years 3 & 4 and a limited NTC to 15 teams in years 5 & 6.
Brodin, Tuch and the 1st. I don't think they're moving Coyle or Dumba.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Said it before, but I do think Brodin is an opportunity to land a guy before he breaks out and he's signed for 5 more years at just above $4M per. The reports on him have always been elite skating, great hockey sense, and a great outlet pass with the ability to play the PP. Sounds like hot garbage for Mike Yeo's asinine system, but could be perfect for the transition game here.

Not sure Stepan alone gets it done, but Brodin, Tuch, and their 1st could be a hell of a package.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'd prefer to move Brassard over Stepan. As far as who I would love the list is:

Nash
Klein
Staal
Brassard
MZA
Kreider
Hayes
Stepan

Assuming we all know Girardi and Glass need to go

I have a feeling we are all going to be disappointed though.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Said it before, but I do think Brodin is an opportunity to land a guy before he breaks out and he's signed for 5 more years at just above $4M per. The reports on him have always been elite skating, great hockey sense, and a great outlet pass with the ability to play the PP. Sounds like hot garbage for Mike Yeo's asinine system, but could be perfect for the transition game here.

Not sure Stepan alone gets it done, but Brodin, Tuch, and their 1st could be a hell of a package.

Brodin and Dumba are candidates for that same thing

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I'd rather get Dumba than Brodin. Dumba is a RH shot, and he has plenty more offensive upside than Brodin, which is what we need on the back-end.

Wouldn't mind a package like #15, Tuch/JEE and Dumba, or I guess Coyle(would prefer Dumba) for Stepan at all. But does Minny do it?

glees68

Penn State
Dec 20, 2008
Pittsburgh
The way I read it was that this is probably the last chance for Girardi. They will see how he performs once fully healthy, and, if it fails, I would hope he is as good as gone.

Obviously, I wish he was gone now because there is no way he will return to what he used to be. But, with a fully healed kneecap, he cannot be as bad as he was last year, can he? :help:

Other than that, though, I am really intrigued. I think it will at least be an interesting offseason. :laugh::scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad