Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I can understand not wanting Hertl or Giroux. And even somewhat Miller. But why is Scheifele grouped in with them? He has 2 more years of term left and has a reasonable cap hit. He produces, places with an edge, and is an improvement on the faceoff dot.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I can understand not wanting Hertl or Giroux. And even somewhat Miller. But why is Scheifele grouped in with them? He has 2 more years of term left and has a reasonable cap hit. He produces, places with an edge, and is an improvement on the faceoff dot.
whats his roll here? he aint going to be cheap. hes been terrible defensively. i think most would rather just find a more defensive minded and reliable center that wudnt cost as much as scheifele.

Reactions: savebyrichter94

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
because it's a short term answer, will cost a lot and he has abysmal defensive metrics.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Radulov is a name you’d be excited for about a decade ago lol

I guess if it doesn’t cost much it’s fine.

Although I’d say it says a lot that Dallas is chasing a playoff and they’re even willing to move him. Means they don’t think they’ll be much worse without him

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA

Although I’d say it says a lot that Dallas is chasing a playoff and they’re even willing to move him. Means they don’t think they’ll be much worse without him

It's likely to free up cap space to add an upgrade at his position (or another position of need).

This is where the Rangers can take on an expiring bad contract and get compensation for it.

Reactions: NYR Viper

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Two full years of contract is not short term. That’s two full runs.
Short term as in it maxes our cap and that's our team for 2 years. I don't see that team winning anything, isn't that the point? It feels more like a fantasy hockey team.... or Winnipeg 2.0 but with Shesterkin.

We're screwed if Laffy takes off next season.

We need better defensive centers. I don't know how that's not the mantra. Cup Winners have at least 2-3 good/great defensive centers. We barely have 1.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Strict cap dump by Dallas. He's just another option to possible upgrade the bottom 6. He will cost very little if anything. I'm glad Drury is exploring these options as we still have 29 mil in cap space this year.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Waiting for this “big move” we kept hearing from the media lol. Still no hints or anything on what it can be
Clicks and retweets. If the pundits don’t have sure fire info, they’ll link teams like NYR, Toronto, Montreal, etc. to names because they know how many fans follow them…I’m sure there’s some truth in there as well, but they aren’t motivated solely by providing inside info.

Reactions: Tob and bleedblue94

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
You didn't want to pay Hertl $8M plus over 8 years? What's wrong with you? Thank goodness that nonsense is over. Do you think the Rangers can get Hertl? Have you morons seen the Rangers cap situation? How the f*** are the Rangers paying Hertl when they have nearly $50M invested in their 6 highest paid players? Maybe they can get Kreider to waive? Why would he waive his NMC? Maybe they can get Trouba to waive? Not happening. Maybe they can dump Chytil and Nemeth for nothing to free up $4.8M in space. The Rangers don't re-sign Strome and they get rid of Georgiev. That doesn't add up to $8M for Hertl and you need to fill those roster spots. Strome and Georgiev don't have contracts for next season.

Creative accounting is not enough. Take out Hertl and replace him with another big name. The same issues exist.

The Rangers have Igor Shesterkin in net. The Rangers win every goalie matchup in the playoffs. Are they playing one on one? Igor hasn't played a single second of playoff hockey and he is supposedly carrying the Rangers to the Stanley Cup this season. The Rangers won every goaltending matchup when Lundqvist was there. It didn't mean much.
Tell me RB, what changes next season that gives the Rangers better shot next year than this one, except for the looming cap crunch? What about the season after that, or the one after that?!? We have a great team with a few holes this season. The objective should be to address those holes and try to win this season. I’m not saying trade all of the prospects and picks, but three good pickups this year and we have a legit shot. Most of this board is ready to throw away this season for some pie in the sky theory of windows and having to lose to win…nonsense!

Last edited:
Reactions: McRanger92

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Clicks and retweets. If the pundits don’t have sure fire info, they’ll link teams like NYR, Toronto, Montreal, etc. to names because they know how many fans follow them…I’m sure there’s some truth in there as well, but they aren’t motivated solely by providing inside info.
I don't doubt that there's validity to the talk of us looking at certain players. People need to remember that it's just talk. GMs have lots of conversations and only a few ever end up happening.

I think where the pundits take license is with the level of the talks. A simple phone call just to check in on a player becomes something that the team is actively working on. It was reported that he Rangers interest in Miller was "Next Level". What does that even mean? Obviously it wasn't the level Vancouver wanted.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Tell me RB, what changes next season that gives the Rangers better shot next year than this one, except for the looming cap crunch? What about the season after that, or the one after that?!? We have a great team with a few holes this season. The objective should be to address those holes and try to win this season. I’m not saying trade all of the prospects and picks, but three good pickups this year and we have a legit shot. Most of this board is ready to throw away this season for some pie in the sky the art of windows and have long to lose to win…nonsense!
Kakko, Laf, Chytil, Miller, Schneider. There's no telling which of these players will still be here next year--though I would expect most to still be here--but I do expect that they will all improve as they get older. Plus we have other prospects who might come in and make an impact, like Cuylle, Othmann, Lundkvist, Jones.

In a couple years, both Trouba and Kreider will be tradeable, as their NMCs become NTCs. And the cap should go up significantly by then. The next 2 years will be tight cap-wise, but after that, we have lots of options. That's not to say we should wait 2 years before doing anything significant, but at the same time we shouldn't be going all in now.

Right now, unless we can find a deal for the perfect 2C, we should be playing moneyball. No high priced acquisitions. No big trades. Find players who mesh well and help to build a team that is more than the sum of its parts. If we make a big trade for a center and we get it wrong, it's going to hurt us for a lot longer than 2 years.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Friedman was on Sirius Morning Skate just now. He echoed what Dreger said the other night; the teams in on Copp are NYR, BOS, & COL. He said while WPG is not far from a playoff spot, the math doesn’t add up for them to not be sellers. He hinted that the most interest is from NYR and BOS

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

This may be interesting…

Very. He isn't without his flaws as a prospect but that's a situation NYR have to consider given the center situation. He's closer to being an NHL player than any 2nd round pick is likely to be.

We also know it's sometimes tough to put up gangbusters numbers in the BC program as an underclassman.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Radulov has sucked ass for a very long time now. You probably think he’s still good now because you watched a few games in 2017 and 2018 when he wasn’t frolicking on the ice like diva waiting for his teammates to spring him.

The only thing Radulov strangles is his teams offensive opportunities. I’d rather see McKegg than that worthless scrub.
Way over your head dude - you wouldn’t know a puck if it hit you in your gunt.
Go back and re-read schmuck

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

This may be interesting…

Is he ready to play in the NHL? He wants a year burned from his ELC. What are we looking at long term with a player like this? Is it a 3C with 2nd PP use?

Blowing up in your senior year, kind of reminds me of Hayes, but he didn't have the same production.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Strict cap dump by Dallas. He's just another option to possible upgrade the bottom 6. He will cost very little if anything. I'm glad Drury is exploring these options as we still have 29 mil in cap space this year.
I wouldnt be over the moon bringing in Radulov, but its worth looking at. Even with Kakko and Rooney sidelined they've been very lucky on the injury front for the most part. Bringing in an another able body wouldnt hurt as a backup and who knows he magically finds his game again.

But my gut says this wont happen. I dont think theres much of a fit and there are better, younger options out there. This is likely Drury investigating plan B's and C's if his A's are too costly.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I follow BC and have watched or attended 6 games this season. I'd take a flyer on McBain but his skating is going to hold him back at the next level. Whoever compared him to Barron was spot on. He's not skilled enough to compare to a Kevin Hayes, for example...closer to Brian Boyle.

His stats, size and everything I have read about him describes Barron. Now, I like Barron. I think Barron will be a good bottom-6 staple here. But we sdhould all temper expectations on McBain a bit.

In terms of Radulov, he would be inexpensive depth. Perhaps he comes in and lights the world on fire being reinvigorated. Perhaps he comes in and sits the remainder of the games as he doesn't beat out someone. If Dallas is willing to send him over and include a pick with him then it's worthwhile. I believe he knows Panarin and Shesty personally as the other night when they were playing he barely bumped Shesty in the crease, Lindgren came over and got in his face and you could make out Radulov saying "I know him" pointing at Shesty, explaining to Lindgren that the contact was completely an accident.

Here's another thing about Radulov. He is coming back from surgery on his core last year. It's distinctly possible that he isn't 100% up to speed nor completely healthy. If he comes in and the Rangers staff thinks he just needs rest and recuperation, he may be more willing to sign at a discounted 1-year term this off-season as a 'show-me' deal. With a full off-season of training and being comfortable in NY with guys he knows, he could be the type of buy-low reclamation project that may fit in well in NY. It could benefit both parties to bring him in and see what's going on this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad