Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Brooks is crapping on the players to take less. Thing is, they take less. Buch wanted a long term deal but was forced to sign a short deal. Anyone wanna bet that JT Miller, Kevin Hayes, Zucc and co haven’t been in that situation before?

Had we signed Buch to a long term deal he would have been much more valuable. NMC/NTC aren’t allowed for RFA years.

The question that always is asked in NY by Gorton and Slats was, have they earned it? Kreider, Staal, Smith and Girardi all had “earned” their contracts. Have that helped us?

The GM must make these calls. It’s not charity.

And for all the success we had for 4 years there a decade ago, it's ultimately what kept that window very brief and just below what was needed to win it all.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Its actually about 22% of the cap but yeah, still not good.

The Kreider contract is the most unforgivable shit that the FO has done. This is a player they 10000% should have monetized and thanked for his services. This team was playing well when he was extended and I realize that they had ripped apart the room, but they had already squeezed the best hockey they were going to get out of the player and its not like they were at contender status where you keep the band together while you can win and worry about the bad years later.

It was a dumb move even before COVID happened and they won the lottery.

The Kreider contract looked bad on the day it was signed, long before we won the draft lottery and added Lafrenière.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I'm fairly certain that the Rangers will have to trade Lindgren next year to make any of this work. Which is a bummer.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

The Kreider contract is the most unforgivable shit that the FO has done. This is a player they 10000% should have monetized and thanked for his services. This team was playing well when he was extended and I realize that they had ripped apart the room, but they had already squeezed the best hockey they were going to get out of the player and its not like they were at contender status where you keep the band together while you can win and worry about the bad years later.

I've posted something exactly like this at least a few times since the contract was signed... you're more colorful in your wording tho.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013

finding out we could've gotten a 1st and a ROTY candidate for him too and his f***ing atrocious play this year really added to this kick in the nuts lol

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Has it been confirmed that the cap is going to increase by 1 million the next 4 years? If that's the case, the Rangers get 2 million increase next year and 4 million increase the year after. That's a significant amount of money that we are getting in the offseason we will need it most.

It depends on revenue yet the league is projecting for the 2022/23 season the cap ceiling could be 82.5M

From there theoretically it will increase by 1M per season until the 50/50 balance between the players and league is restored as long as revenue comes in above a certain threshold (I think 4.8 Billion)

Reactions: MrAlmost

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
NYR missed the playoffs in 1993.
They also won the Pres Trophy in 1992... it was largely considered ridiculous that they didn't even MAKE the playoffs in 1993

Point being they were a stacked team that may or may not have needed some winning players and some tuffness brought in.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Blais skates like rookie Kakko. He’s not an awful skater, it’s just not a strength. His game isn’t predicated on being a strong skater either; that’s one of the reasons he has potential. He’s learned(learning) to play to his strengths, which are tenacity, being a disruptive guy who creates space, a strong shot with a good release he doesn’t need time to get off. He acquitted himself well every time he had opportunities with talent in St. Louis. I’ve been watching him pretty keenly since their SC run. Always felt he’d be a great bottom six addition. I definitely think he has more than enough talent to be a third liner on his own merit and may well end up being a fit across from Panarin. There’s several candidates for that spot. He paced for 17 goals and 34 points last year. A change of situation could certainly see him succeed in a third line role.

Underwhelming return on Buchnevich aside, i am excited to see Blais/Goodrow/Reaves create some chaos in front of the net this year. They are all big guys who will make life difficult for opposing defenseman. Scoring dirty goals has not been a strength of this team since the early AV days

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
NYR missed the playoffs in 1993.
Wow big difference. You should know better. The 1992 team finished first in the Patrick Division with 105 points and with better goaltending in the Pitt series could easily have advanced to the conference finals if not further. They also made the playoffs the prior 3 seasons. This team has done squat and has a bunch of question marks whereas the 1992 team had a solid nucleus and solid leadership with both a veteran and youth presence. Not even close.

Reactions: Riche16

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Greater men than you have tried and failed. Pretty sure 4 out of the 5 mods have considered it to some extent at various points.

Haohmaru, baby.

haoh-ss2-entrance.gif

Reactions: Mac n Gs and DialUp

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
I think the chances of Trouba finishing contract in New York are extremely high.

I think with a competent partner he will be a good player for the duration. There was an article that showed when he played with Morrissey he played well. Part of it was chemistry as they played together for 3 years, and part of it was they were both pretty good. As our left side continues to grow and he meshes with a partner, I think he'll get closer to what he used to be.

I don't think he'll ever be worth the $8M, but he'll be more tolerable if he's playing like a bonafide top-4 guy.

Article for those interested - By the numbers: Why Jacob Trouba and Josh Morrissey have struggled without each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad