Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Zuccarello changed the picture on his twitter page yesterday. He had the same picture of him in a Rangers blue sweater on his page. He changed the Forward for the Dallas Stars from Forward for the New York Rangers soon after the trade. The picture was the same.

Type Zuccarello twitter into Google search. The first picture is this one(a day ago) and if you click on Mats Zuccarello (@Zuccarello36),it takes you to his twitter page. New picture. Free agency is just 6 weeks away.

View attachment 228301

View attachment 228313

I wanted to see the Zuccarello takedown in game 7 against the Blues. The Blues are complaining about the goal last night. They got a huge break. This is 2 minutes for interference. It took away a scoring chance. It could have been a goal. Late in the 3rd period. The Stars win game 7. I knew Shayna made a gif.

I noticed Zuccarello's picture has been changed. His account is the first account to appear. He was pictured in his Rangers sweater as recently as Tuesday/Wednesday.

That Stars #1 pick in 2020 would be huge for the Rangers. The Stars have a tough year. That pick becomes a higher pick.

At this point I would be shocked if the Stars DID NOT sign Zucc. They're in win-now mode with a core locked-in a future Norris winner on his entry deal. They're only gaining cap space with Spezza off the books and no other major FA's. Zucc was arguably their best player in the playoffs.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Not saying the Rangers are tied to him, but TJ Brodie might get moved.

His name was put there around the deadline as well. Flames need to move some money out and have a lot of good young defensemen knocking on the door. They could also stand to improve their forward depth a bit.

Not sure I see the Rangers adding him to their lineup. Though I could see them taking him and flipping him to another team with more of an immediate need. Perhaps as a financial assist to a cap strapped org? He might be a good fit next to Reilly in Toronto. Could also be a good replacement if the Jets trade Trouba and can't get Myers under a new deal.

trench23

Aug 2, 2005
Bear with me guys, but would you consider moving Kreider and Georg to Buffalo for the 7th and 30th pick, with Buffalo also receiving a conditional 2nd or 3rd in 2020 if Kreider doesn't sign again? With Buffalo having a major failure this past season and a new head coach they will want to make a move to be a playoff contender. Not really a fan of moving either player, but this would absolutely fast-track our build. Also gives Buffalo a great option for goaltending and much deeper forward core to have punch on the second line to take pressure off Eichel/Skinner.

Thoughts?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Bear with me guys, but would you consider moving Kreider and Georg to Buffalo for the 7th and 30th pick, with Buffalo also receiving a conditional 2nd or 3rd in 2020 if Kreider doesn't sign again? With Buffalo having a major failure this past season and a new head coach they will want to make a move to be a playoff contender. Not really a fan of moving either player, but this would absolutely fast-track our build. Also gives Buffalo a great option for goaltending and much deeper forward core to have punch on the second line to take pressure off Eichel/Skinner.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that I don't think Buffalo does this even with the conditional picks.

I'm Kreider's biggest fan but I'd take that deal and run. I'd even consider Kreider+Georg for the 7th alone.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Thoughts?

I would. Though the 2020 2nd/3rd are tied up in the Fox trade. They'd need to be 2021 picks anyway since Kreider could technically re-sign with Buffalo after the 2020 draft is complete.

That being said, I don't think Buffalo does that deal. They'll want assurances up front that Kreider is a long term piece for them.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Arthur Staple of The Athletic spoke with 3 NHL execs and one player agent regarding the Islanders free agents.

The consensus for Anders Lee is $42M over 7 years to stay with the Islanders. Chris Kreider will be looking at that contract negotiation very closely.

Brock Nelson.

Watch Hayes get $42M over 6 years. That's insane.

I mean, if Brock Nelson is getting 6.75m per for 7 years then Hayes getting 7m per for 6 years wouldn't really be insane at all.

7 years 42m (6m aav) for Lee being a comparable for Kreider would be good if we want to extend him.

Reactions: RGY

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
At this point I would be shocked if the Stars DID NOT sign Zucc. They're in win-now mode with a core locked-in a future Norris winner on his entry deal. They're only gaining cap space with Spezza off the books and no other major FA's. Zucc was arguably their best player in the playoffs.

The problem I have with this is not that the Stars wouldn't be interested in re-signing Zucc--it's that it wouldn't necessarily be dumb on Zucc's part to take it to July 1st and just see what the market has to say because signing with Dallas now--maybe he just doesn't get the deal he wants or maybe there's another city he'd rather be or a better team than Dallas interested in his services. There's a lot of things that can factor into this and FWIW this is probably his last NHL contract coming up.....so why rush into things.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The problem I have with this is not that the Stars wouldn't be interested in re-signing Zucc--it's that it wouldn't necessarily be dumb on Zucc's part to take it to July 1st and just see what the market has to say because signing with Dallas now--maybe he just doesn't get the deal he wants or maybe there's another city he'd rather be or a better team than Dallas interested in his services. There's a lot of things that can factor into this and FWIW this is probably his last NHL contract coming up.....so why rush into things.

Grass isn't always greener. If he likes Dallas and he is happy with the contract being offered, why add confusion into the mix? You know what I mean?

Reactions: jas

trench23

Aug 2, 2005
Add to the fact that he has taken two "discount" deals with the rangers, and he may just want to cash in - deservedly so- to the highest bidder that has half a chance.

Reactions: eco's bones

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Not saying the Rangers are tied to him, but TJ Brodie might get moved.
Wasn’t he weirdly linked to the Rangers at the TDL? I think a deal around Kreider and Brodie that was speculated?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Thoughts?

We can't trade our 2nd or 3rd in 2020. The Fox deal is for a conditional 3rd that upgrades to a 2nd if Fox plays 30 games. That's effectively ties up both those picks.

But on the question of Kreider and Georgiev for the 7OA and 30 OA--yeah, I would do that but I don't think Buffalo would. Personally I think Kreider is worth a mid 1st rounder and I would want a 1st for Georgiev as well--so bringing back the 7 OA would be a great return. I think he's the real deal and will be an NHL starter. All apologies to Henrik but to me Alex is the better goalie....and he's young and he should get even better.

Reactions: Lion Hound

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Grass isn't always greener. If he likes Dallas and he is happy with the contract being offered, why add confusion into the mix? You know what I mean?

That might be what happens. I just don't see it as a layup or a slam dunk that he will sign right away and it might be he signs with Dallas in July after checking out other offers and the thing is I wouldn't put Dallas in the top tier of teams--they have some great young defensemen and Bishop is like the Duncan the Walrus in goal but their best forwards with the exception of Seguin are kind of old.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
That might be what happens. I just don't see it as a layup or a slam dunk that he will sign right away and it might be he signs with Dallas in July after checking out other offers and the thing is I wouldn't put Dallas in the top tier of teams--they have some great young defensemen and Bishop is like the Duncan the Walrus in goal but their best forwards with the exception of Seguin are kind of old.

For sure. I don't think it is a slam dunk that he signs right away or with Dallas at all. But, I would be surprised if he didn't sign right away and still ended up staying with Dallas.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
the more I think about it , the more I want to really go hard after Panarin. The benefits outweigh the downsides so heavily. I think having Kravtsov, Kakko, Chytil etc play with Panarin will be so beneficial for their development, even if Panarin is on his decline by the time these players reach their prime, we'll have another Panarin or two to step in and take over for him. Kind of like how the Le'Veon Bell signing is less about winning now and more about developing Sam Darnold.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Add to the fact that he has taken two "discount" deals with the rangers, and he may just want to cash in - deservedly so- to the highest bidder that has half a chance.

I think this will be the case here. He's never received the big payday, and the reality of it is...Zucc deserves it! Guy left his heart and soul out there so far in NY and Dallas.

I want that 2020 pick, but no matter what the reports are im going to remain a little skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad