Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I’ll be fine with Nash or Vanek (Vanek more than Grabner) if we don’t get Kovalchuk and especially if we trade Zuccarello. There’s not a lot of depth at wing anymore. That’s why we signed the guys from Finland and Sweden, we might just need bodies after we decide what to do with Zucc, Spooner and Namestnikov

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I wonder if something can be worked out with Chicago with either moving up to 8 or trading for Saad. They’re coming up to a cap crunch and have a few RFAs to sign.

Those huge contracts are killing them, especially that awful Seabrook one.

Edit: 8th not 7th

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Lettieri, Chytil, Andersson, Nieves. We have Spooner and Namestnikov, our players right now are KZB ,Zucc, Hayes, Spooner, Namestnikov, Chytil, Fast,Vesey, Andersson.
Do you think Rick Nash won't be a 17 min per game player in this team? Give the ice time for young kids.
I'm over the "Rick Nash looks awesome but is snakebitten" phase.
I think making sure that Chytil and Andersson have spots at center (a position neither Nash nor Graber play) if they show they are ready should be done. I also think having yourself covered in case they don't should be too. And I'm not of the camp that we need to dump 18 minutes of ice time on young players or else they won't develop.

I am definitely whole-heartedly against not signing free agents for the purpose of leaving spots for Boo Nieves and/or Vinni Letteri.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
I don’t want to sign anyone really. I think trading Zucc is the move and keeping Spooner and Namestnikov.

Kreider
Vesey
Buchnevich
Spooner
Namestnikov
Fast
Lettieri

That’s 7 out of 8 wingers

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Necessary or redundant? I don't see redundant because there's no real forward veteran on the roster right now.

I guess it depends on how we look at it.

Hayes, Kreider, and Zibanejad should (ideally) have a presence as they enter their respective fifth, sixth, and seventh seasons.

Even a guy like Fast is entering his fifth season already.

So in theory, we should have the experience checkbox covered. Add a free agent, and you're talking about half your forwards starting on at least their fifth season. And that's assuming Zucc isn't on the roster.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I wouldn’t mind that either to be honest. Not really sold on either player, I’m just not in love with the idea of bringing Nash or Grabner back. It almost feels like running back to an ex girlfriend, I think we should move on.
I agree with regards to Nash, not really interested. He's not taking a 1 year deal most likely, so I would look elsewhere.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I don't really get the "we should move on because ex-girlfriends" or whatever angle. What, specifically, would be the negative consequences of bringing old faces back? It's pretty much the exact scenario of Marty Rucinsky in 2005-06 and that team didn't seem hampered by any sort of negative feng shui.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't really get the "we should move on because ex-girlfriends" or whatever angle. What, specifically, would be the negative consequences of bringing old faces back? It's pretty much the exact scenario of Marty Rucinsky in 2005-06 and that team didn't seem hampered by any sort of negative feng shui.

Off the top of my head, without too much time spent:

That was a veteran team with a different makeup and a different goal.

The Rangers purposefully just moved on from the old guard. There was a reason for that.

Rick Nash was not just some random veteran who maybe played a season or two as a support player. He was here for six seasons, often as a focal point or as a star player, and was part of the leadership corps. If the goal is to try and develop the next group of team leaders, and put them in a situation where they can establish their own identity, I'm not really seeing the fit there.

Contrary to some opinions, this really isn't a team that is going to be lacking veterans at any position. I'm not oppossed to adding the right vets, but I also don't think the need is dire per say.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Off the top of my head, without too much time spent:

That was a veteran team with a different makeup and a different goal.

The Rangers purposefully just moved on from the old guard. There was a reason for that.

Rick Nash was not just some random veteran who maybe played a season or two as a support player. He was here for six seasons, often as a focal point or as a star player, and was part of the leadership corps. If the goal is to try and develop the next group of team leaders, and put them in a situation where they can establish their own identity, I'm not really seeing the fit there.

Contrary to some opinions, this really isn't a team that is going to be lacking veterans at any position. I'm not oppossed to adding the right vets, but I also don't think the need is dire per say.
And Grabner?

I could understand not wanting to bring a Messier type back for the above reasons. I can't picture Nash, as laid back as he is, preventing the next wave of leaders from developing.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
There are many ways to know that players are unlikely to be NHL players without seeing them fail at the NHL level. Do you think there are forwards in the system at the level of Pionk or DeAngelo even?

I'm on team trade some of the group Zuccarello, Spooner and Vladdy for young assets. Replace them with free agent contracts that are designed to be tradeable (for young assets) if next season goes the same as the last one.

I would hope Chytil, Andersson were on the level of ADA/Pionk. I have no idea if Howden is there or not.

If they are trading Zucc, Spooner, Name and just replacing them with free agents it's not opening up any more spots.

The contracts that are designed to be movable, I'm not sure I see the motivation on the part of the specific players being mentioned to signing that sort of deal? Nash, Grabner, Kovalchuk are going to be taking 1 or 2 years without clauses?

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Friedman said he thinks the Rangers will be conservative in their moves this summer. Long way rebuild. He could see them bringing back Nash or Grabner at a lower number. The Rangers need to find out if some of their guys can play.

Nash or Grabner were terrible for their new teams. Time to turn the page.
So much this.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Since Nash and Grabner had a bad 10-15 games while needing to adjust to a new team (and deal with injuries in Nash's case) 80% of the way through the year that's certainly a sign they are completely awful players now and nobody should even sign them for league minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad