Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XIII (Nanaki edition)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Has anyone mentioned how Panarin and Jack Eichel's contracts end at the same time? On a related note, how fast would Mika waive his NMC if Kreider was gone?
moving Kreider to induce Mika is cutting yr nose....

As I've posted before, Zib needs to be told, look, bern is right, we are doing it his way, we are not gonna make the welfare of the whole team capitulate to the vets and we are going to control the cap, not let it control us.

Relative to what he costs and delivers and fact he is always in peak physical shape, CK stays

but Shesty, bread, Trouba, Lindgren are all buh bye

going forward, chemistry is huge
atm, new kid line has it
Tro + LaF have it
you and Kreider not showing enuf chem most of the time

If you play ball, we can prob hook you up w/preferred relocation
like TOR where you can top 6 w/Matthews
or if we score Byfield to LA where you can challenge for 1C after Kopitar, close to retirement

if not we have to carefully consider when we dress you for play
and new line assignments
but understand, the vets do not run this place

I just realized Kreider only has a 15 team NTC now instead of Nmc.

Hopefully he is an offseason casualty

K sucks too. He is only good on special teams.

Useless on 5v5.
wrong x 2, and counting...

He's carrying around a horrible 5v5 player. Kreider was consistently one of the best even strength players in the league before Zibanejad regressed into "can't put him on the ice" territory.
correctimudo, well said

Trocheck already has a good line, and so does chytil.

Lets not make the dame mistake 2x with kreider and not ship him out when u can get a good return. Last time it was rumored that dallas wanted to send robertson and a first.

We can easily get a good return on him and he is part of the country club rangers. Im just sick of him.

Watch him now. He doesnt take the body anymore, shies from contact and isnt good on the forecheck. His game is slipping all around. Better to rid him and grt assets. Also lets the youth step up and become leaders.

He is done. Not going to get better and holds back the youth at this point.

Edit: i should add. I dont trade him this year, but the offseason. Him and trouba are needed to go to clear salary for our overpaid goalie.

Also, they arent part of the solution going forward. Get assets, and we have plenty of wingers in the system who hopefully can step up.
wrong x 3, and counting...

by taking on ice time during games going forward. Being lavs crutch. Youth deferring leadership to him instead of becoming leaders themselves.

He is part of the old guard. After this year, he needs to go. Its time to start the turnover and giving thr reins to laff and hopefully kakko. Perrrault will also need top 6 minutes.

He is not going to get better and if we want the youth to bust through and get their chance, he must go and get a max return. Hopefully a high pick or a center prospect.

He has run his course. Like messier did. At some point they need to go. Much better to let them go while u can get a good return than for nothing 2 season later.
wrong x 4, and counting...

Great so lets grt a good return. Our cap situation sucks, and we need to start turning the team over. Keeping him for 2 years while we have a major cap issue in one of them would be dumb.

Especially since we have an abundance of wingers, and perrault needs to play top 6. Kakko needs to play more.

Othmann is another.

Kreider is going to be worth more to us as a trade chip then the diminishing returns he will provide over the last 2 years of contract.
wrong x 5, and counting...

let us know when you give up

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This year is our best chance to win. We are going to take a step back next year basically no matter what. We wont have cap space to better ourselves and most likely our d core is going to be a mess.

Knowing this, it is smarter to start a retool by trading a good but aging asset.

With that cap we could also try to sign a dman which we are going to need no matter what.

We have wingers on this team and in the pipeline. Better to start giving them bigger minutes. Laff could probably slide back to LW if really needed. But we have panarin, cuylee, laff, kakko, othmann, berard and perreault who all project to be in the top 9. That six wingers for six slots. U can always sign a free agent to if one isnt ready.

I am completely operating under the assumption we are taking a step back no matter what next year and probably the year after. Better to rip off the bandaid to get a retool quickly and the best assets possible then keep an aging player.
Let me stop you right there. If you believe that, then you keep Chris Kreider. Freezing cold take.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, yet another reminder

1000005443.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Was listening to 32 thoughts this morning and they were talking about how Petey’s teammates and friends were doing just this in Vancouver trying to get him to play a harder game. I immediately thought about Mika and Kreider but who knows what goes on behind closed doors I guess.

Having said that, I want Kreids to retire a Ranger. If Mika has any direct or indirect influence on him getting run out of town I’ll be super pissed. Not that I’m not already when it comes to him, but man that would really cement it for me.

Maybe I was imagining things, but Ive watched this team like a hawk for years (we all have) and they cut to Panarin a couple times last night on the power play, directly after giveaways by Mika and it was the most pissed off I've seen him in awhile. Boyle also mentioned slamming doors at the bench. Do you think Zibanejad has the strength to slam a door? I kid, but, for guys like Trouba, Kreider, Panarin that know they are running out of time to win here, how do they feel about the guy with the ironclad NMC loafing around the ice and never getting his line or assignments changed?

To build on that, how do Chytil & Laf feel about Mika when their play has far exceeded Zibanejad this year, but they dont get to sniff the PP and he sits in a lounge chair at the top of the circle waiting to fire a one timer into the goalies chest? It's going to cause a rift in the locker room the longer it goes on.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
At the very least I think there may be some merit to putting Kreider in a lesser role at 5v5. It’s clear at this stage of his career he doesn’t quite have the motor he used to, he’s not as impactful on the forecheck/ off the cycle. Is that a product of being attached to Mika? Maybe and that something to consider, but I also think at age 33 he’s beginning to reach that age where he’s going to need to be slotted down in the lineup.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
At the very least I think there may be some merit to putting Kreider in a lesser role at 5v5. It’s clear at this stage of his career he doesn’t quite have the motor he used to, he’s not as impactful on the forecheck/ off the cycle. Is that a product of being attached to Mika? Maybe and that something to consider, but I also think at age 33 he’s beginning to reach that age where he’s going to need to be slotted down in the lineup.
This, I can live with.

Granted, you should have three good lines and the stress over "top 6" is extremely exhausting.

And yeah, he should never play for another team because he's f***ing Chris Kreider. I will mismanage assets to put loyalty first in this case and I'm not sorry.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
And yeah, he should never play for another team because he's f***ing Chris Kreider. I will mismanage assets to put loyalty first in this case and I'm not sorry.

Hes not Sidney f***ing crosby. Or ovechkin or even a hall of famer.

He is a second liner for christ sake. This should have no bearing

Even ray bourque was traded. f*** lundqvist was bought out.

This is the dumbest reasoning ever. I dont give a shit who the player is if there is a trade to be made to make the team better then do it.

And the Mets did it to great avail in baseball this year. They traded deGrom to get assets and move on. They might will let alonso walk. It happens. Get over it.

The team is more important than one player. Especially not a hall of famer.

• Love
Reactions: leetch99

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Hes not Sidney f***ing crosby. Or ovechkin or even a hall of famer.

He is a second liner for christ sake. This should have no bearing

Even ray bourque was traded. f*** lundqvist was bought out.

This is the dumbest reasoning ever. I dont give a shit who the player is if there is a trade to be made to make the team better then do it.

And the Mets did it to great avail in baseball this year. They traded deGrom to get assets and move on. They might will let alonso walk. It happens. Get over it.

The team is more important than one player. Especially not a hall of famer.
deGrom left the Mets as a FA

I think the love for him is insane. For some hes like the embodiment of christ it seems
Go play your video games

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I believe where he ends up depends on where the Mrs. does her residency.
I seriously doubt that THAT will be the deciding factor. I’m sure the team will try to accommodate him, but they aren’t going to take a bath to send him where he wants to go. 12 team list after 7/1.

Nope he's gotta go.

The money is needed.
Yes. I’m saying he will go. This off season. I’m also saying I won’t be surprised if he ends up back here as a UFA…

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Maybe I was imagining things, but Ive watched this team like a hawk for years (we all have) and they cut to Panarin a couple times last night on the power play, directly after giveaways by Mika and it was the most pissed off I've seen him in awhile. Boyle also mentioned slamming doors at the bench. Do you think Zibanejad has the strength to slam a door? I kid, but, for guys like Trouba, Kreider, Panarin that know they are running out of time to win here, how do they feel about the guy with the ironclad NMC loafing around the ice and never getting his line or assignments changed?

To build on that, how do Chytil & Laf feel about Mika when their play has far exceeded Zibanejad this year, but they dont get to sniff the PP and he sits in a lounge chair at the top of the circle waiting to fire a one timer into the goalies chest? It's going to cause a rift in the locker room the longer it goes on.

Yeah, I was thinking about Chytil too today. If anyone should be shying away from board battles and dirty areas it's him, but he hasn't changed his game at all. Like, I wish he would play a little safer don't get me wrong but he understands the sport and loves the game too much. I get that Mika has a kid now and want's to keep his brains intact, but this is a contact sport. Giving up on every 50/50 puck along the boards is just not how the game is played. Fil gets hit several times a game. Imagine him watching Mika flinch every time an opponent comes near him causing a turnover. Frustrating.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
deGrom left the Mets as a FA
Mixed him up with sherzer and verlander.

Point still stands. They traded vets for youth.

Again next offseason we should start looking to do the same.

This year go for gold. But in offseason we need to move money and keep youth. Especially if shesty goes for 12m+

Decisions hae to be made and he is part of the old core. If we want to start a new core at some point u need to hand over the reins and build around them.

This team will be at some crossroads this offseason, especially if this team doesnt win again.

Him being a lifelong ranger shouldn't matter. His age and only 2 years of contract and the value he has could.

Drury is going to have alot of interesting decision’s to make. I think he made a great one with signing Laf. Kakko, and miller astill need to be signed.

And then there is shesty.

Nobody is taking Zibs. Even if we get rid of trouba u need to sig a top 4 dman. That will cost $6m

U cant run a top 4 of milller, fox, schneider and.mancini. That aint gonna cut it.

Tough choices ahead. But Kreider u can move, and can move him for a good if not great return. Maybe even sneak into back end of top 10 in draft if a Buffalo or Detroit fall there and want some vets to pau them over the top. That could be a center prospect we dont have.

Again, many ways to go, but the thought of “but its Kreider” to me is ridiculous.

• Love

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I seriously doubt that THAT will be the deciding factor. I’m sure the team will try to accommodate him, but they aren’t going to take a bath to send him where he wants to go. 12 team list after 7/1.
What I meant is that Trouba's list will probably be influenced by it. I'm not saying team will (or should) accommodate his wants/needs.

Reactions: bhamill

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Kreider is a really nice complimentary player who is signed to a really nice contract. The problem is Mika. He's supposed to be the play driver. He's supposed to be the 200 ft superstar. He's been absolute hot ass for too long now. If you want to trade anyone, it's him...not that any team even wants him with his albatross contract.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
If we're talking Kreider, I'd love to see him with Chytil. They looked great together for those ten games four years ago or whenever it was.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Mixed him up with sherzer and verlander.

Point still stands. They traded vets for youth.

Again next offseason we should start looking to do the same.

This year go for gold. But in offseason we need to move money and keep youth. Especially if shesty goes for 12m+

Decisions hae to be made and he is part of the old core. If we want to start a new core at some point u need to hand over the reins and build around them.

This team will be at some crossroads this offseason, especially if this team doesnt win again.

Him being a lifelong ranger shouldn't matter. His age and only 2 years of contract and the value he has could.

Drury is going to have alot of interesting decision’s to make. I think he made a great one with signing Laf. Kakko, and miller astill need to be signed.

And then there is shesty.

Nobody is taking Zibs. Even if we get rid of trouba u need to sig a top 4 dman. That will cost $6m

U cant run a top 4 of milller, fox, schneider and.mancini. That aint gonna cut it.

Tough choices ahead. But Kreider u can move, and can move him for a good if not great return. Maybe even sneak into back end of top 10 in draft if a Buffalo or Detroit fall there and want some vets to pau them over the top. That could be a center prospect we dont have.

Again, many ways to go, but the thought of “but its Kreider” to me is ridiculous.
Lindgren/Trouba out gives you some money to work with. Trading Kreider for futures makes no sense. We have future defensemen and wings. This isn’t one and done.

Signing Fox, Laf and Shesty in their prime then punting seasons makes no sense

Reactions: IDvsEGO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad