Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XIII (Nanaki edition)

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Im not worried about losing any of them. Also you snuck Jones in there like we wouldnt notice.
i'm not sure what you mean. you don't think they will lose any of them? or you don't think it would be a problem to lose any of them?

do you not care for jones?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
i'm not sure what you mean. you don't think they will lose any of them? or you don't think it would be a problem to lose any of them?

do you not care for jones?

Jones is a 7th defenseman. I like him but the Rangers dont. I wont be upset if he's gone.

As far as the others go, I think the Rangers will find a way to fit all of them. Maybe they trade Kakko if he really prices himself but knowing how Drury operates, he will prioritize the young Rangers.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
These numbers are obviously going to fall off a but, who would be a comparable for Will Cuylle on his next contract?

Currently at PPG pace.
All production has come via 5X5
Leads team in Hits 29
Leads team in plus/minus +9
6th on the Rangers in SOG 14

Hes what 21, 22 years old? 6'3, 211 lbs.

Lets say the numbers tail off, but he finishes the season between 45-50 points. Early estimates were much lower for his next contract but if he continues to produce in multiple areas with lesser icetime then players in the top 6 this next contract could be an issue for Drury.
Who would have thought Lias Andersson became maybe one of our best draft picks after all.
Let's give some credit to Drury

we are kind of getting to the point where, even with lindgren and trouba subtracted, were gonna lose one of the other guys that in theory we do not want to lose:

Laf
Shesterkin
Chytil
Cuylle
Kakko
Miller
Edstrom
Jones

edit: how crazy to see the young players the Rangers have drafted and developed into the NHL.
yep crickets on HFBoards main.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Watching the first half-dozen games, it has become apparent why the Rangers should, barring injuries or unforeseen circumstances, be considered one of the top teams in the league.

Every team has top end, high level talent. Most teams can ice one top line. But the depth of Rangers, up and down the lineup, the top nine forwards, and the top six (or 7) D separates us from the pack.

Bodes well for the season/
They've convincingly beaten the teams they're expected to beat. That's a good thing and a huge improvement since the DQ years where they often looked unprepared.

They won the president's trophy and two rounds of Playoffs last year, so I don't think anyone was saying they stink. The question will be whether they can deal with the Devils' speed or Florida's ability to shut them down when springtime comes.

we are kind of getting to the point where, even with lindgren and trouba subtracted, were gonna lose one of the other guys that in theory we do not want to lose:

Laf
Shesterkin
Chytil
Cuylle
Kakko
Miller
Edstrom
Jones

edit: how crazy to see the young players the Rangers have drafted and developed into the NHL.
Does that include Kreider? I think they may trade him this summer even if he continues playing well to sign as many of these players as possible.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA

Laf
Shesterkin
Chytil
Cuylle
Kakko
Miller
Edstrom
Jones

What can you do. Kids grow up and move away.
At least will still have our little Rempe.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Does that include Kreider? I think they may trade him this summer even if he continues playing well to sign as many of these players as possible.
I hope they do. Keep the youth. Kreider should be a prime trade candidate if he agrees to move NmC. You cans still get good value for him.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I hope they do. Keep the youth. Kreider should be a prime trade candidate if he agrees to move NmC. You cans still get good value for him.
I think he has a modified NMC this year and has to submit a list of teams, similar to Trouba last year.

I love Kreider but the writing may be on the wall for the sake of the team's future.

Reactions: Ruggs225

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
They've convincingly beaten the teams they're expected to beat. That's a good thing and a huge improvement since the DQ years where they often looked unprepared.

They won the president's trophy and two rounds of Playoffs last year, so I don't think anyone was saying they stink. The question will be whether they can deal with the Devils' speed or Florida's ability to shut them down when springtime comes.

If Miller wants 6 Million....I would consider a trade for a more rugged stay at home defender to play with Fox ....his early numbers mean diddly squat . I want a guy who is mean and nasty to compliment Fox when needed especially in a playoff series against a barrage of big fast forwards . I want our D abusing & not the defence being abused .

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
If Miller wants 6 Million....I would consider a trade for a more rugged stay at home defender to play with Fox ....his early numbers mean diddly squat . I want a guy who is mean and nasty to compliment Fox when needed especially in a playoff series against a barrage of big fast forwards . I want our D abusing & not the defence being abused .
6 would be too high, yes.

Reactions: leetch99

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

It's 2024, we're past this rugged stay at home guy needing to play with the offensive guy. Lindgren was supposed to be that guy. It's not 1994 anymore.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I mean Miller can be a little more physical. It's a fair criticism for him. He has great length and uses his stick well, but he's not particularly sound positionally and he randomly gets an edge to his game, but not often enough. He could be an elite defenseman if he adds that edge and works on his awareness in the D zone.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I don't think it unreasonable to want Miller to play with more of an edge. Maybe a bit angrier. And Fox is a small guy who was banged up the last two playoffs, he's great but less so on one leg. These are legit concerns.
A few things. I get that we'd love for Miller to play with more edge. And in truth, he plays with more edge than he did when he was younger. For a lot of these guys, playing with edge is a process of physical maturity and aging. Most players need time to grow into their frames before they can really handle all that comes with playing with an edge. There's a big price to pay when you play that way. And it's not something you see most 22 or 23 year olds in the league do. We tend to look at younger players with size with some bewilderment. But there is a reality to this. Heck, look at Rempe and Edstrom. Rempe paid a huge price for playing that way last season. And it was clear he wasn't ready. Lindgren has played that way and it's likely going to cost him some years of longevity. Until this year, Edstrom played with very little aggression, but now that he's 24, he's finally growing into his man strength.

Miller is playing more physically than he has ever played before. Last night, he rubbed a few guys out along the walls where he totally eliminated them. His problem is, 1-2 times a game, he makes a gaffe with the puck and it's glaring. There are times he's out of position. He has brain farts. But I don't really need him to be the most physical player on the ice. I think he's looked mostly good this season. He's not perfect by any stretch. But if you're asking me would I rather have Brady Skjei or K'Andre Miller? It's not even close to me. Much rather have K'Andre. And Skjei just signed 7m AAV contract.

That all being said, I cannot get over how good Victor Mancini has looked. I'm sure we may have to send him down for numbers reasons, but I really do not know how you can justify it given what be brings to that bottom pair. He's better than Lindgren as of this moment. He is better than Jones. He's not far off from being better than Trouba. He already has a better first pass. Better skater, better puck handler. But Trouba is better positionally in his own zone. Better at taking the man. For now... but I think Mancini can develop well beyond Trouba within a year or two.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I just saw this on twitter.
1729716986520.png

our 3rd line!!!

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
A few things. I get that we'd love for Miller to play with more edge. And in truth, he plays with more edge than he did when he was younger. For a lot of these guys, playing with edge is a process of physical maturity and aging. Most players need time to grow into their frames before they can really handle all that comes with playing with an edge. There's a big price to pay when you play that way. And it's not something you see most 22 or 23 year olds in the league do. We tend to look at younger players with size with some bewilderment. But there is a reality to this. Heck, look at Rempe and Edstrom. Rempe paid a huge price for playing that way last season. And it was clear he wasn't ready. Lindgren has played that way and it's likely going to cost him some years of longevity. Until this year, Edstrom played with very little aggression, but now that he's 24, he's finally growing into his man strength.

Miller is playing more physically than he has ever played before. Last night, he rubbed a few guys out along the walls where he totally eliminated them. His problem is, 1-2 times a game, he makes a gaffe with the puck and it's glaring. There are times he's out of position. He has brain farts. But I don't really need him to be the most physical player on the ice. I think he's looked mostly good this season. He's not perfect by any stretch. But if you're asking me would I rather have Brady Skjei or K'Andre Miller? It's not even close to me. Much rather have K'Andre. And Skjei just signed 7m AAV contract.

That all being said, I cannot get over how good Victor Mancini has looked. I'm sure we may have to send him down for numbers reasons, but I really do not know how you can justify it given what be brings to that bottom pair. He's better than Lindgren as of this moment. He is better than Jones. He's not far off from being better than Trouba. He already has a better first pass. Better skater, better puck handler. But Trouba is better positionally in his own zone. Better at taking the man. For now... but I think Mancini can develop well beyond Trouba within a year or two.
100%!!
Also for Mancini. He has nowhere near his man strength.
He’s 22. He’s only gonna get better!

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Fox doesn’t need to prove anything.

Miller has regressed pretty hard the past season or 2.

Makes bozo mistakes constantly and his offense has all but disappeared.

Hopefully more time getting settled in next to Fox will rub off on him.
His offense disappeared?
He went from 43 pts to 30.
His even strength numbers were relatively close (1 fewer goals, 9 fewer assists)

He hasn’t regressed he was just playing with Trouba. Who everyone admits was terrible last year.

How is it that miller has no offense and no defense and yet part of a pair that’s the best pair we’ve ever had in my memory.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad