Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XIII (Nanaki edition)

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
If we're using xGF% as our model then in their minutes together they're still in the green (a shade over 7:30 and at 52%) the TOI is so low though so they're a good shift or bad shift away from tilting the ratio heavily in either direction.

But 52% is impressive considering that the trio of Rempe-Carrick-Edstrom has attempted exactly 2 shots when playing together to 11 against, but that also suggests that they'd almost certainly trend down if given more ice.

With Brodzinski in for Rempe, they're out attempting their opponents 25-20 and have an xGF% of 61%.

Brodzinski annoys the piss out of me, he over skates everything and neither his brain or his hands can keep up with his feet but the 4th line has just objectively been better with him on it vs Rempe. Given what we have on the roster now he's the easy choice but I'd actually like it if we upgraded on both. Rempe is fine as a 13th forward who can handle shenanigans should they arise against teams that enjoy shenanigans but he isn't likely to ever be someone who can be relied on to be an every day player. People need to separate the idea of what he could be from what he actually is right now.
We probably need a lot more data but it seems like carrick -edstrom is just very effective. And gets even better with brodz.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
2026-27 opening night D

Miller - Fox
Emery - Schneider
Walman - Mancini
Walman sucks and Schneider might price himself out given our depth on RD. It could look like:

Miller - Fox
Someone - Mancini
Someone - Emery

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
If I were Lavi, I would be giving Chytil another shot at the top 6 over Zib at this point. Remember, before Chytil got injured last year, he started the season by centering Panarin and Laf, and the three of them looked great together. He carries the puck into the offesive zone well and is the type of guy who can score from the circles with his great shot.

He definitely has top 6 potential. Here's how I'd shake up the forwards:

Panarin-Tro-Laf
Kreider-Chytil-Kakko
Cuyle-Zib-Smith
Edstrom-Carrick-Brod/Rempe

Zibanejad can stay on the PP1 unit but should be replaced by Laf if it starts to struggle. You can't mess with such a productive PP right now.

This also gives Kakko an opportunity to have a bit more ice time to find a scoring touch and a veteran in Kreider to play with. Kreider is a great net-front guy that gives Kakko the opportunity needed to simply get the puck on net with traffic rather than keeping the play to the outside.

This also spreads the veterans/youth players throughout the top 9 so that there is a bit more balance and there is defensive responsibility throughout. Each of the top 3 lines still remains a scoring threat too.

Presently, I don't like how the third line is just a bunch of young guys who need to figure it out together. It's a waste of Chytil's potential. They're contributing to wins by playing low event and defensively responsible hockey, but the team shouldn't be scared to tinker to find the balanced scoring throughout the lineup at even strength that has eluded them for several years now.

At 5v5, Zib produces like a third liner, so he should be treated like one. He has 1 even strength point in 5 games so far. Chytil has 2, but with less opportunity.

Last edited:

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Honestly I don't think Lavi changes up the pairings until they lose 3 of 4 or something.

Dino coaches love them some continuity when things are going well.

Putting Lindgren with Fox right away gives everyone a new partner.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Honestly I don't think Lavi changes up the pairings until they lose 3 of 4 or something.

Dino coaches love them some continuity when things are going well.

Putting Lindgren with Fox right away gives everyone a new partner.
I think this was the best possible outcome.
If Lindgren struggles we’ve got Jones ready to step in.
And we’re not propping Lindgren up w fox.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So someone has to go down. Rempe kinda has to be the guy

Waive Reuwedahl ? Jones 7th D again . Dude probably annoyed lol

I think Lindgren hasn’t been healthy in years and the question is can he be effective if healthy. He’s not even 27 and shouldn’t have fallen off a cliff yet.

He’s ufa and they can’t afford to sign him so be ok with him as 3rd pair LD assuming Schneider continued to play the opposite side as a righty

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
So someone has to go down. Rempe kinda has to be the guy

Waive Reuwedahl ? Jones 7th D again . Dude probably annoyed lol
Someone mentioned the Michigan as to why Jones is getting screwed like this. Is that a real thing? Jones is small. Is that the problem because no offense, Jones' positioning and defense in his own end trumps what I've seen from Mancini so far. Mancini has the size. I understand that but Zac just plays more disciplined in his own end. Mancini is a puck watcher.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
If we're using xGF% as our model then in their minutes together they're still in the green (a shade over 7:30 and at 52%) the TOI is so low though so they're a good shift or bad shift away from tilting the ratio heavily in either direction.

But 52% is impressive considering that the trio of Rempe-Carrick-Edstrom has attempted exactly 2 shots when playing together to 11 against, but that also suggests that they'd almost certainly trend down if given more ice.

With Brodzinski in for Rempe, they're out attempting their opponents 25-20 and have an xGF% of 61%.

Brodzinski annoys the piss out of me, he over skates everything and neither his brain or his hands can keep up with his feet but the 4th line has just objectively been better with him on it vs Rempe. Given what we have on the roster now he's the easy choice but I'd actually like it if we upgraded on both. Rempe is fine as a 13th forward who can handle shenanigans should they arise against teams that enjoy shenanigans but he isn't likely to ever be someone who can be relied on to be an every day player. People need to separate the idea of what he could be from what he actually is right now.
But, but...Rempe fear, etc, etc

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Someone mentioned the Michigan as to why Jones is getting screwed like this. Is that a real thing? Jones is small. Is that the problem because no offense, Jones' positioning and defense in his own end trumps what I've seen from Mancini so far. Mancini has the size. I understand that but Zac just plays more disciplined in his own end. Mancini is a puck watcher.
No. Why would Lavi care that a player tried something that didn't even result in a loss of possession? It literally had zero bearing on anything.

Reactions: IDvsEGO

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
what are the advanced stats saying about Miller-Fox
Screenshot 2024-10-22 at 1.44.44 PM.png

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Hot take: Jones is not an 82 game defenseman on a cup contender and has played an appropriate amount.

He should still be PP2 when he does play.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Hot take: Jones is not an 82 game defenseman on a cup contender and has played an appropriate amount.

He should still be PP2 when he does play.

I think Jones on pp2 makes alot of sense, but that it was clear he was the most likely to change when Lindgren came back. So rather than play w multiple units we got miller there.

I almost want to give Mancini a shot just to see .

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
There’s also a talent gap between Trouba and Lindgren despite them now being paired together as the problem children. If Lindgren is given extended time away from Fox that is going to become obvious even to his strongest supporters, though I'm sure he's going to get to lean on the injury excuse for a while.

I'm not trying to paint Trouba as good either, but I know Trouba can handle bottom pair minutes (not good given his contract, but it is what it is at this point), I don't think Lindgren can handle any thing with out Fox - and he couldn't even paired with Fox last year.

But yeah, Scanlin is bad. My preference would have been to move Lindgren and replace him with a player not in the organization but for what ever reason the FO was hell bent on addressing Trouba first. Lindgren was the easier and more urgent move.
Somewhere along the way we as a fanbase have forgotten that Trouba is a better player than Lindgren.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Somewhere along the way we as a fanbase have forgotten that Trouba is a better player than Lindgren.
More like there’s no degree of “bad”
Trouba is bad for an 8m defenseman. He was good, but never as an 8m defenseman.

Lindgren was good and previously was a 4m defenseman. But not in several years. And now he’s bad for anything above a 3rd pair.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
More like there’s no degree of “bad”
Trouba is bad for an 8m defenseman. He was good, but never as an 8m defenseman.

Lindgren was good and previously was a 4m defenseman. But not in several years. And now he’s bad for anything above a 3rd pair.
At this stage of their careers, I'd rather have Lindgren because he fits in a slot. He should be a 3rd pair guy that kills penalties. There is no perfect spot for Trouba. He was a 2 way defenseman early in his career but doesn't do anything especially well now. He plays horrible fundamental, positional defense. He always out of position and has terrible gap control. 30 years ago we had a guy who had been a very good offensive defenseman and in his later years became a very good stay at home, savvy vet that was perfect for the 3rd pair in Doug Lidster. Too bad Trouba couldn't adapt to that type of role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad