Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XIII (Nanaki edition)

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Two things outside the typical talking points:

I really like Ruehwedel as a #7 D. He’s not out of place at all in all 3 zones when he’s in the lineup. He has good wheels and is good at using them to close his gaps. He’s a solid player and I wouldn’t lose a wink of sleep if he was in every day as the 6d.

Reilly Smith is a very good fit in on this team overall. He’s a good PKer, he’s not out of place anywhere in the lineup, he’s a savvy pro and you can tell all over the ice. That line is still finding chemistry but Smith has shown he’s a very solid player.

I’m not understanding much of the pessimism around the team aside from the typical Rangers fan self loathing. This team is still really good. We have Igor. We upgraded the 2RW spot with Smith. The Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere line hasn’t skipped a beat and may even be better this season with Laf’s growth. And most importantly for me, we have a healthy Chytil which makes the 3rd line a scoring threat.

Make no mistake, we made it to game 6 of the ECF with our entire bottom 6 being a non factor. Those minutes were just hoping to not get scored on aside from Goodrow turning into Adam Graves. You’re telling me a healthy Chytil centering the 3rd line (rendering it a real offensive threat) and that couldn’t have helped us win the cup last year?

Minor extra thought, Carrick is a player. Like what I’ve seen from him. Really like him at 4C, especially at his 1m cap hit. I like Goodrow more than most during his tenure but his cap hit was prohibitive. Replacing him for nearly just a third of the price with a guy who can solidly fill the role Goodrow was in is a nice perk.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I dont like what the broadcast team said last night one bit. I don't know if this is the agent's sentiment or if this is Igor's thoughts, but I didn't like to hear that. They said he wants to be the highest paid player on the team because he thinks he's the most important player on the team. He said he wants to be the highest paid goalie because he thinks he's the best goalie in the league.

He has zero issues with handicapping the team. On personal level, great go get that money make as much as you can. In terms of being a fan, who the hell wants to hear that? The way the broadcast team reported it last night it rubbed me the wrong way. It came off incredibly arrogant and narcissistic. After they said it I pretty much felt, here's 10 million.. you don't want it go f*** yourself.
I hear you but also the real culprit is the dumb cap. While I’d love Igor to accommodate the roster construction, I’m not going to be upset with a guy asking for everything he has earned.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Fortescue and Emery will both take a while. But they will add some size. Lets say one makes it. So we will need a stopgap in there. But a base with Fox - Miller - Schneider - Mancini - Jones and a band aid solution or two should make for a sound D for years to come. We will also have to deal some of our many prospects somewhere along the line. We are outta midround picks so that might be a way of salvaging some recycling momentum. But if we can work the cap and rid ourselves of Capitano and Warrior Lindgren this offseason, I see no reason why cannot have a 5 year window after a slight retool in 2 years. Mika will be our only anchor - maybe we get another buyout in the next CBA? Not sure yet what we could target at the TDL. Too early to tell. It ain't all gloom and doom though.

Reactions: kovazub94

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
FFS keep Kaapo!!!

Trouba gets dealt at the draft.

Lindgren has to be dealt before the TDL + a 2nd in the year of 2165 for an upgrade on LD.

Also Laf losing motivation after his payday? Brethren pls.
Trouba will not be traded at the deadline.....As someone mentioned, I think he made agreement with Drury that he would not block a trade in off season in order for him to say while she finishes her last year. If you try and trade him at the deadline, you'll only encounter the same problems as before.

Reactions: hardnosed

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Why wouldn’t people be upset about it?
I won't be upset because:

1) It's better to send him down than risk losing depth. Even if that depth isn't great, it's still better than the other options in Hartford.
2) Mancini can be brought back up at any time, and likely will play more in the NHL this year than the AHL.
3) We are likely to make the playoffs regardless, and I'd bet money that Mancini will be in the lineup when the games really matter.

Not every choice is black and white. It's not always about player A being a better option than player B. There are other considerations that factor into the decision.

Would I prefer to have Mancini stay with the team and play every game? Sure. But what I want isn't necessarily what is best for the team as a whole.

The only way Mancini doesn't get sent down when Lindgren is back is if Drury believes he can get Ruhwedel through waivers. Ruhwedel is making the minimum on a 2-way contract, which suggests no other team was willing to give him a 1-way contract. It may be then that no team would claim him. We'll see if Drury is willing to take that chance.

I don't think Drury or Lavi has any particular love for him. He barely played after we acquired him last year, and he has barely played this year so far. It's clear that they prefer Mancini. It's just a question of whether or not they will take the risk of waiving Ruhwedel.

FFS keep Kaapo!!!
I've been a proponent of keeping him, but we are coming to a head next offseason. Assuming we re-sign all of Shesty, Laf and Miller, the money is going to be tight. We may not be able to afford Kakko anymore.

He'll probably finish around 40 points this year, assuming he stays healthy. He will be worth a 2nd round pick to someone. Maybe we can turn that into another Cuylle, like we did with Andersson.

I'll be sad to see him go, but it's going to be difficult to fit him under the cap.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Im not going to cry about Mancini being sent down at this point in the season. He'll be back and the games played as the 1D for a competitive Hartford team will help down the line.

Lindgren has given the Rangers enough good service over the years that he at least deserves a chance to bounceback from last year. But if he is immediately put next to Fox again, it will show they learned nothing. Play him with Trouba and they can try to hide each other's weaknesses. If it doesnt work out, Im sure they will be looking for a trade on D.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Im not going to cry about Mancini being sent down at this point in the season. He'll be back and the games played as the 1D for a competitive Hartford team will help down the line.

Lindgren has given the Rangers enough good service over the years that he at least deserves a chance to bounceback from last year. But if he is immediately put next to Fox again, it will show they learned nothing. Play him with Trouba and they can try to hide each other's weaknesses. If it doesnt work out, Im sure they will be looking for a trade on D.
I’d rather pair Lindgren w Schneider and Trouba w Jones, hoping the kids can hide their flaws.

Reactions: TominNC

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
It's very unrealistic to expect all of your top 6 D to play 82 games. Mancini will be called up a few times and play a decent amount of games. Chad will only play when somebody has the flu or is suspended one game. Any longer injury will be Mancini's spot. Then next year, he will be top 6.

Reactions: IDvsEGO

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I won't be upset because:

1) It's better to send him down than risk losing depth. Even if that depth isn't great, it's still better than the other options in Hartford.
2) Mancini can be brought back up at any time, and likely will play more in the NHL this year than the AHL.
3) We are likely to make the playoffs regardless, and I'd bet money that Mancini will be in the lineup when the games really matter.

Not every choice is black and white. It's not always about player A being a better option than player B. There are other considerations that factor into the decision.

Would I prefer to have Mancini stay with the team and play every game? Sure. But what I want isn't necessarily what is best for the team as a whole.

The only way Mancini doesn't get sent down when Lindgren is back is if Drury believes he can get Ruhwedel through waivers. Ruhwedel is making the minimum on a 2-way contract, which suggests no other team was willing to give him a 1-way contract. It may be then that no team would claim him. We'll see if Drury is willing to take that chance.

I don't think Drury or Lavi has any particular love for him. He barely played after we acquired him last year, and he has barely played this year so far. It's clear that they prefer Mancini. It's just a question of whether or not they will take the risk of waiving Ruhwedel.
I'd be upset because you are subtracting a player who is performing well, has earned his spot on a team that is scoring 5 goals a game (and giving up less than 2 goals a game) and hasn't lost in regulation yet, to accommodate a player who is one of their worst and if off the team next year. It's very silly to me. Rangers aren't broken right now so I wouldn't try to fix it for a guy who hasn't been good and isn't apart of the long term planning
I've been a proponent of keeping him, but we are coming to a head next offseason. Assuming we re-sign all of Shesty, Laf and Miller, the money is going to be tight. We may not be able to afford Kakko anymore.

He'll probably finish around 40 points this year, assuming he stays healthy. He will be worth a 2nd round pick to someone. Maybe we can turn that into another Cuylle, like we did with Andersson.

I'll be sad to see him go, but it's going to be difficult to fit him under the cap.
If we want to send Mancini down we should trade Kakko for a viable LHD. No to accommodate Lindgren

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
GaV3dk8WoAAmxuk.jpg

The Rangers are producing the most even strength chances in the league so far and it's not terribly close, especially once you get past Carolina. And we know Carolina games that number with their 300 shot attempts per game.

It's been a really good start.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
View attachment 919402

The Rangers are producing the most even strength chances in the league so far and it's not terribly close, especially once you get past Carolina. And we know Carolina games that number with their 300 shot attempts per game.

The board humping epidemic seems nearly gone. They will undoubtedly get more injuries this way though.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
View attachment 919402

That's good.

Chytil's healthy, Panarin's line is picking up where they left off, no Goodrow or Bonino/4th line is better than last year, Fox-Miller pair tilts the ice.

How do we do with expected goals against?

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's good.

Chytil's healthy, Panarin's line is picking up where they left off, no Goodrow or Bonino/4th line is better than last year, Fox-Miller pair tilts the ice.

How do we do with expected goals against?
22nd, which I'm not surprised. Some of our pairs have been shaky. Trouba still completely sucks at defending.

Overall, though, I'm more concerned about generating offense. Defense is what we have Igor for.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Laf out day to day.

RW needs to be addressed. If either Smith or Laf go down for even a week or 2, it could really hurt this team.

Kakko is ass on a butt to have to play a top six role. Dudes a 3rd liner.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Laf out day to day.

RW needs to be addressed. If either Smith or Laf go down for even a week or 2, it could really hurt this team.

Kakko is ass on a butt to have to play a top six role. Dudes a 3rd liner.
You can't "address" a top-6 player going missing for a short time in this cap league.

Reactions: lilphildub

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I didn't mean today. I meant going forward.

Like at the deadline.
If we lose any of the following:
A center
a RW
Panarin
Fox

we're absolutely f***ed

You can't really have a contingency for big time injuries.

Just gotta hope and pray.

Now, for minor injures i.e Laf a few games day to day or even week to week, I would like to try and integrate a Berard or even Othmann, but who knows what Lav will do

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Fortescue and Emery will both take a while. But they will add some size. Lets say one makes it. So we will need a stopgap in there. But a base with Fox - Miller - Schneider - Mancini - Jones and a band aid solution or two should make for a sound D for years to come. We will also have to deal some of our many prospects somewhere along the line. We are outta midround picks so that might be a way of salvaging some recycling momentum. But if we can work the cap and rid ourselves of Capitano and Warrior Lindgren this offseason, I see no reason why cannot have a 5 year window after a slight retool in 2 years. Mika will be our only anchor - maybe we get another buyout in the next CBA? Not sure yet what we could target at the TDL. Too early to tell. It ain't all gloom and doom though.
5 of 6 D regulars being internally developed is a very positive sign for the organization. With Fortescue and Emery in some near future it could be all 6!

Reactions: Atax and noncents

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
If we lose any of the following:
A center
a RW
Panarin
Fox

we're absolutely f***ed

You can't really have a contingency for big time injuries.

Just gotta hope and pray.

Now, for minor injures i.e Laf a few games day to day or even week to week, I would like to try and integrate a Berard or even Othmann, but who knows what Lav will do
I
Meant
The
Deadline

lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad