Manchester United partial sale completed: Sir Jim era

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
United had almost double the amount of staff (1112) than other top teams in the league. Supposedly a lot of "do nothing at the office/relative hires". No problem with cutting out people who do nothing there. Stadium project is absolutely not related to those in anyway. Whatever fits your agenda though.

United insist they need 'significant transformation' to meet new financial regulations and challenges, with costs continuing to rise every year. According to the club's latest accounts, United had 1,112 employees on the monthly payroll, which is an increase of 129 in two years. That is the highest employee count in the Premier League.

Arsenal and City have about half of that number. Between 500 -600.

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
On the one hand Radcliffe is clearly a parasite, on the other hand Man United have clearly been taken for a ride by a lot of people for a long time. Always a bold move to cut loose someone who has a stand named after them mind you.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
United sacking Fergie before Ten Hag was definitely not on my bingo card. Regardless of essentially being a ceremonial position, this is an interesting decision

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Radcliffe must have snapped when he saw the contract. Holy shit. It must have been like with the intercom at school when we were kids. 'Attention please, bring Ferguson to my office immediately' and then sacked him right then and there. 2.16 million pounds!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
United sacking Fergie before Ten Hag was definitely not on my bingo card. Regardless of essentially being a ceremonial position, this is an interesting decision
Sir Jim and Sir Alex are friends, according to The Athletic, so it was said to be amicable. Plus he was making 2 million pounds per year. I think he's financially fine. :laugh:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Sir Jim and Sir Alex are friends, according to The Athletic, so it was said to be amicable. Plus he was making 2 million pounds per year. I think he's financially fine. :laugh:
This is about the optics above anything else.

You lay off all the low-earners while giving insane bloated wage packages to washed up losers, and then you sack the club's biggest icon? The looks are f***ing bad. No one is concerned about Fergie's well-being, but if things really are amicable then they maybe should've played the PR on this better.

I find it kinda funny that Ratcliffe is basically doing the private equity playbook here.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
This is about the optics above anything else.

You lay off all the low-earners while giving insane bloated wage packages to washed up losers, and then you sack the club's biggest icon? The looks are f***ing bad. No one is concerned about Fergie's well-being, but if things really are amicable then they maybe should've played the PR on this better.

I find it kinda funny that Ratcliffe is basically doing the private equity playbook here.
On the other hand, laying off low-earners (again, United had the largest staff of all PL clubs by almost double) while paying 2 million a year for someone who definitely doesn't need that money, would have been bad optics too. And he will remain as a non-executive director. Seems he wanted to step back from duties in general at the age of 82 (turns 83 in December):

A source told ESPN that Ferguson, who turns 83 in December, will also step back from other roles over the course of the next year, some of which are not related to United.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
United need a senior citizen to be an ambassador? Are they opening a consulate somewhere? Does a brand that big need some fossil for exposure? It’s legitimately just to keep a friend on the payroll. Ratcliff is right not to pay him.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
United need a senior citizen to be an ambassador? Are they opening a consulate somewhere? Does a brand that big need some fossil for exposure? It’s legitimately just to keep a friend on the payroll. Ratcliff is right not to pay him.
Many United fans have almost exact feelings. Other clubs don't even pay their global ambassadors, at least nowhere in the region SAF was paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad