Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XIII (Nanaki edition)

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
already looking at potential top4LHD....

what's everyones thoughts on Walman?

He had a pretty good year in Detroit last season. Was a cap casualty? and sent to NHLhell in San Jose. Has size, can move the puck and skate.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
when vesey comes back, we will have 4 wingers for the 4th line, and someone has to go down.
Edstrom has played every game, as has carrick. Rempe has rotated with Brodz.
But Brodz and carrick have to clear waivers. Vesey is better then brodzinski.
It leaves 2 possibilities to go down to the AHL.

You see this as pearl clutching I see this as not wanting my organization to make a dumbass move.
And so far they have proven to me that they are not going to willingly hamstring themselves for the sake of spectacle. To me it seems unwarranted and driven mostly by beat writers (of which no one puts any value in) and social media twits who wouldn't know their ass from a hole in the wall. I think we're both on the same side of the coin here just from different perspectives - We both don't think he should see a ton of time with NYR and that there are currently better options for fielding a better overall hockey team.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
It's really too bad we have trade protection in mika's contract, with the way Petterson is in Vancouver you never know if a mika + deal could be had and do another Derek brassard trade. Petterson looks lost, uninterested, if you could bring him here and drop him with panarin and laf it would be gold. Unfortunately we hand out ntc like candy

Carrick vs Reaves should be an adventure.
mika for pettersson is like the ideal scenario

already looking at potential top4LHD....

what's everyones thoughts on Walman?

He had a pretty good year in Detroit last season. Was a cap casualty? and sent to NHLhell in San Jose. Has size, can move the puck and skate.
the weirdest step in the yzerplan to date. not a 2D obviously but steady eddie LD who fit well with skill guys before.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I dont care what he does now, and rotating brodz in is absolutely fine. The brodz line has been much stronger. The one game he did play was our worst defensive game, not saying those were his fault, as Utah is doing much better than expected, but he's only played 1 game so lets see if not being able to play the 4th evenly leads to higher scoring games because the top 9 skates alot more.
Well Rempe was even for his one game and I don’t think his under 4 mins of ice time was the reason for our giving up 6 goals. Hahaha.
All I’m saying is no matter what WE think, the coaching staff sees benefit to playing him some games. Pretty simple.
When Vesey comes back the best option for Rempe is probably some Hartford time if he’ll be getting in even fewer games. Guess we will see.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I personally like rempe in the lineup but they don't play him enough for my liking and will play the 4th line more with Brodz on it so if that's the case what's the point I guess but for me I like the fear he puts into dmen on the dump.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I personally like rempe in the lineup but they don't play him enough for my liking and will play the 4th line more with Brodz on it so if that's the case what's the point I guess but for me I like the fear he puts into dmen on the dump.
Sure the problem is more he’s not good at the defensive zone, so you can pin him there, and a defenseman doesn’t fear him in the offensive zone because he can’t really open ice hit.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Does anyone really fear Rempe? Hockey players, especially defensemen, dive in front of frozen rubber, get hit in the face, bleed and come back. Lindgren regularly gets his ass kicked and comes back for more. Sure they may get squashed by the big goofball, but fear? I don't buy it.

Reactions: DanishRanger

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Does anyone really fear Rempe? Hockey players, especially defensemen, dive in front of frozen rubber, get hit in the face, bleed and come back. Lindgren regularly gets his ass kicked and comes back for more. Sure they may get squashed by the big goofball, but fear? I don't buy it.
i think there is a lizard brain thing where if you know he's barreling towards you at speed, you're more likely to make a bad play with the puck. those bad plays are margin events that do lead to change of possession, in-zone hemming, and sometimes goals

Reactions: bhamill

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
i think there is a lizard brain thing where if you know he's barreling towards you at speed, you're more likely to make a bad play with the puck. those bad plays are margin events that do lead to change of possession, in-zone hemming, and sometimes goals
Let's count all the opportunities he creates tonight

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
He definitely forces defenders to move quicker than they'd like. The problem is a defender who doesn't move quicker, likely draws a penalty because he takes some bad angles.

Reactions: bhamill

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
We need to sign Lafreniere immediately.

He’s now 13th in even strength goals since the start of last season, and 23rd in even strength points. Showed up big in the playoffs. I have a feeling he’ll be valued at $10M+/year by the offseason.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020

He’s now 13th in even strength goals since the start of last season, and 23rd in even strength points. Showed up big in the playoffs. I have a feeling he’ll be valued at $10M+/year by the offseason.
He was replaced by Cuylle with the goalie pulled. We should get a discount for that.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Well, everytime he’s bearing down on one they pull up and toss the puck like it’s a grenade. I have yet to see one willing to take the hit to make the play. It’s why Rempe misses so many checks. Players pull up instead of fighting through. He’s effective at disrupting the play because the D refuse to take a hit from him, he’s too big to easily get around to get back into the play, and he’s not sticking out an arm or leg so he’s not getting penalized. Is that FEAR on the Ds part? Common sense? I mean you and I are smart enough not to step in front of a speeding car. Is that fear? Kind of the same thing. Bottom line is they “play scared” when he’s coming.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Hopefully the kids motivation doesn’t wane once he cashes in.

Thankfully he’s not really the kind of player who needs to bust his ass to be effective.

But it does look like he’s gonna end up a 70 point guy just like he was projected around the draft.

What this forward roster needs at the deadline is a playmaking winger for the Kakko Chytil line. Vesey-Carrick-Cuylle ends up the 4th unit when everyone is healthy.

Someone like an Erat, Zuccarello type. I’d hate to burn an ELC year but… Perreault, maybe? A Kreider maneuver

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

Thankfully he’s not really the kind of player who needs to bust his ass to be effective.

But it does look like he’s gonna end up a 70 point guy just like he was projected around the draft.

What this forward roster needs at the deadline is a playmaking winger for the Kakko Chytil line. Vesey-Carrick-Cuylle ends up the 4th unit when everyone is healthy.

Someone like an Erat, Zuccarello type. I’d hate to burn an ELC year but… Perreault, maybe? A Kreider maneuver
He could be more with proper special teams time.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
More for sure. I just don’t think he will ever be as good as Panarin is now. So if we are looking to build around him we will need help
while small sample size.
he's currently on pace for an 85 pt season, and he's got 0 pp points.
if you have an 85 pt season, and 0 pp points. You have a 120+ pt season basically.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

Are you sitting or sending down Edstrom? I feel like he's earned his spot.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Well the math isn’t mathing there but there are very few players who are a
PPG at es in the league.
Is your point that Laf wouldn't be a ppg player simply because its rare?
Laf is playing very very well, and none of his points are really flukey.

Last season there were zero players who were ppg at 5v5. So what he's doing is unlikely to continue, but the few guys who were close, all had 120+ seasons.

Reactions: Atax

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Is your point that Laf wouldn't be a ppg player simply because its rare?
Laf is playing very very well, and none of his points are really flukey.

Last season there were zero players who were ppg at 5v5. So what he's doing is unlikely to continue, but the few guys who were close, all had 120+ seasons.

No I wouldn’t assume that he would put up 40 points on the pp lol.

If he’s at a PPG at ES he’s going to
Be a top 5 es producer.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
If Igor gets $12 Mil from the NY Rangers, who then is the sacrificial mule/s? After the Trouba drama i would assume he is staying put till the end of his deal.

$11,100,000 Coming off the books with 5 players.
Smith's $3,750,000 expires.
Vesey's $800,000 expires
Lindgren's $4,500,000 expires
Quick's $1,275,000 expires
Ruhwedl's $775,000 expires

Some real Key RFA's due significant raises.

RFA's
Lafreniere (8mil?)
Miller
Kakko
Cuylle

Jones
Edstrom
Rempe
I wouldn't count on Trouba playing here on the last year of his contract. I'm fairly certain that Drury will jettison him come the offseason.

Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad