Roster Building Thread - Part XII

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
12+ is completely absurd for a goalie. Not to mention the term and that it will likely be NMC for most of it. Wild that anyone on this board will defend that. I genuinely hope that Drury doesnt cave. Theres zero incentive for the Rangers to just throw that contract at him. Let him test FA. When he see's his options, maybe his price will drop.

Win the cup this year and let him walk.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I doubt it. For one, we are currently using LTIR to fit Mancini on the roster. If we keep him once Lindgren is back, then we have to send down one of the forwards. I'm sure you'd be okay with waiving Brodzinski, but I doubt Drury/Lavi will agree. That means one of Edstrom or Rempe would have to go down.

Mancini has played all of 18 games as a pro. He won't be hurt by spending time in Hartford, and he'll be the first call up if and one someone gets hurt.
I agree. In fact Mancini will benefit from being the go to guy in Hartford, if even for the majority of the season. Let him get monster minutes down there.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
12+ is completely absurd for a goalie. Not to mention the term and that it will likely be NMC for most of it. Wild that anyone on this board will defend that. I genuinely hope that Drury doesnt cave. Theres zero incentive for the Rangers to just throw that contract at him. Let him test FA. When he see's his options, maybe his price will drop.
They already offered him 11 lol

You’re acting like the extra million is some huge jump. This contract is in line cap percentage wise to what they gave Henrik at the time.

Drury already said they’re signing him, it’s just a matter of when he finally drops the pretense and gives Igor what he wants.

Reactions: Mandar

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I’m interested to know what kind of a jump we are going to see with the new cba allegedly. Heard the same shit after the debt was paid off. Anyway locking Laf up at that number through his prime is pretty good.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
It isn't just Laf, Kakko and Miller that need new contracts. Cuylle, Ed, Rempe, and Jones do too.

As someone mentioned above, if he makes 9.6, he is the highest paid player on the team. Why does that cap matter so much? 11 is more than fair, and really should be 10.

I'm guessing of course, but going a little high for everyone and with Trouba and Lindgren gone:

Laf at 8.5
Miller at 6.5
Kakko (with a great year) at 4.5
Cuylle with a bridge at 2.5
Ed at 1.5
Rempe at 1
Jones with same bridge at 2.5
Othmann and Mancini in

Leaves about 12.7 in cap space with a 92.5 cap for Igor, a 3 LD, a 7th and a backup. Assume Garand is the backup at 850k, and now it's right on the 12 million number, with no 3 LD or 7th.

Tight. Real tight. Of course, some guys might get less, but I am going high cause that seems more likely. However, I do think there is a real possibility we see a 94 million cap. We will see.

Reactions: Atax

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

You’re acting like the extra million is some huge jump. This contract is in line cap percentage wise to what they gave Henrik at the time.

Drury already said they’re signing him, it’s just a matter of when he finally drops the pretense and gives Igor what he wants.
Flipside is then why is that 1mil so important to Igor? How much more comfortable does that extra money make him, that 11mil somehow wouldn't afford him? 11mil would be just as in line as 12mil cap % wise. 11mil makes him (nearly) the highest paid Ranger and highest paid goalie in league history. And I think it's foolish to assume and operate as if the cap is going to skyrocket because of x/y/z. We've been hearing that for the last ~5 years and the cap's gone up like 6.5mil in that time span.

Last edited:

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Mancini takes Trouba's role over the next year+ and Chytil eventually gets top 6 minutes while Mika plays a more offensive Jordan Staal shutdown role as he ages. That would be my vision as we transition from the NMC core to the rebuild core.

No sense in paying Mika $8m to do that though.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
12+ is completely absurd for a goalie. Not to mention the term and that it will likely be NMC for most of it. Wild that anyone on this board will defend that.
I'm in no way defending the number, but I don't see any better options out there. If we let him walk, we will be worse for it, and it may be many years before we can get back to where we are.

Panarin will have 1 year left. Kreider will have 2. Mika may decline further. Everyone likes to talk about the window to win. Well, it will close a hell of a lot faster if we don't have a competent goalie. We could find ourselves in another rebuild in a few years, having won absolutely nothing.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
EF said on 32T today that Igor and his reps know he’s NYR best player and want to top Panarins 11.6 AAV.

AP got 14.29% of cap when he signed. Igor wants that. 12-12.5 with todays math

• Haha

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I'm in no way defending the number, but I don't see any better options out there. If we let him walk, we will be worse for it, and it may be many years before we can get back to where we are.

Panarin will have 1 year left. Kreider will have 2. Mika may decline further. Everyone likes to talk about the window to win. Well, it will close a hell of a lot faster if we don't have a competent goalie. We could find ourselves in another rebuild in a few years, having won absolutely nothing.
It’s possible but I think it might be true whether Igor is here or not. But then we are stuck with a $12M goalie.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Biggest issue with the org is dead weight.

Mika is not a 1C. ( the bigger issue is not his contract per se but that he gets all the top offensive responsibilities when there’s clearly better options )

Trouba is a bottom pairing defenseman.

Replace Trouba and Lindgren with actual good defenseman. Demote Zibs.

That’s our full potential imo

A 1C and a first pair D to play with Fox would go a long way for us.

Like, if we had hit on Andersson and Kravtsov even a little and then been able to flip them for a young C, we'd be in good shape. We are already in good shape on the wings. Laf, Kakko, Perrault, Othmann, Berard. There's enough there.

By gawd we need a young center or two though.

And a first pair D to play with Fox, getting Trouba off the books.

EF on 32T. Igor wants $12M-$12.5M. He wants to be the highest paid player on the team.

CBA expires in 2026. New agreement will bring a big jump to the cap.

$92.5M next season and big jump in 26-27. EF said some people are thinking/hoping the NHL rips up the last season of the CBA. Bettman said earlier this at the BOG meeting that they are hoping to announce a new CBA before the Cup final. Some people hope the new CBA would start next season and not in two seasons. Gary isn't doing that.

Goodbye, Igor.

sorry, 12.5 is absurd.

This isn't Hanks teams where we were devoid of talent. We actually do have some talent that needs to get paid.

I love Igor. He's the best goalie in the game.... He's not Nathan MacKinnon though. He plays 55 games out of 82. 10-11 is way more than fair.

9 is more than fair.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
No sense in paying Mika $8m to do that though.

You have to play the hands you're dealt. 8 mil will look like 6mil by the time that it's necessary. Im high on the Rangers center depth long term if Chytil stays healthy. Mika is slightly overpaid and not a play driver anymore, but he's not washed up or anything. 70+ points in the worst season as a Ranger. if he actually makes an effort to shoot the puck this year, he'll have 90 points again.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011

I think our biggest window/chance is this year. After that, I think the cores chances drop drastically (Igor or not). Our franchise has a rich history of drafting and turning goalies into greats. I'm quite fine trusting that process again. We dont know who or what will happen within the 8 years. Im quite optimistic in that time we will find and/or our develop a goalie. I understand your concern. I just think that contract will hamstring us and prevent us from really rebuilding a better team around those 2 guys. (Lafs/Fox team)

Look how strapped we already are for cap space. Look what we had to do to get a guy like Kane onto the team. 11 mil is already an extremly nice offer. We need to stop acting like a few mil here or there on contracts isn't a big deal. What happens when he becomes an slightly above average goalie in 4 years and has a full NMC?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'll keep screaming this from the rooftops:

If he can regain his form and get back to 40 points, he is a VERY VALUABLE piece for a competing team. He's a big body who plays solid 2-way hockey and can generate 5v5 points. At some point, a middle-6 power forward isn't a disappointment

There is no point that a middle 6 40 point power forward isn't a disappointment for a 2 overall however, it's still a good valuable player.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
EF said on 32T today that Igor and his reps know he’s NYR best player and want to top Panarins 11.6 AAV.

AP got 14.29% of cap when he signed. Igor wants that. 12-12.5 with todays math

Panarin's contract was signed before the COVID dip.

At no point should we cave on giving Igor that much. Goalies are not worth more than skaters.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005

A better idea is to keep your window open longer, or within striking distance of easily re-opening, by not hamstringing yourself with inescapable bad contracts.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Like I said I expect Igor to get extended, but the idea that he’s the best player on the team I don’t buy it. It’s Fox or Panarin. And even if he technically is, goalies are less valuable than skaters so they shouldn’t be paid as much.

Yea, I don't know where this whole "Igor is the best player on the team" thing has come from. It's not. He's the third best. The media says nonsense like this all the time though. 3-4 years ago Joe and such would nonstop talk about how Zibanejad was the best player on the team when he obviously was not better than Panarin. It's recency bias because he had a great playoff and ignores the fact that he was actively bad in December and January.
Looking back at where he was drafted is a pointless endeavor. Look at the player he is now and go from there.

Well, you used the term "isn't a disappointment." He is very clearly a disappointment, as of now, given when was expected out of him. Doesn't mean he's not an important player.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think Kakko is a cap casualty no matter what. The rangers are going to have to go extremely cheap on the periphery of the roster, and they have cheap in-house options like Berard, Othmann, and Gabe Perreault on the wing. Just hope he has a good season and they get good value for him when he’s traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad