Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

Takeahnase

Jun 29, 2024
NLV
sure and 3,4 and 7th highest forward cap hits.

There’s a valid point that your best players should be your best players in the playoffs.

Mcdavid damn near carried Edmonton on his back. Mackinnon is a monster in the playoffs. Barkov was fantastic.

Mika disappeared. Panarin scores but soft goals and rarely clutch.

Tied with Barkov for 1st in playoff game winning goals yet “rarely clutch.” Makes sense.

Reactions: Mandar and TominNC

Takeahnase

Jun 29, 2024
NLV
I am one of Othmann’s biggest supporters / defenders, but it’s absolutely mystifying, and by mystifying I mean Hound of the Baskervilles level of mystery, that there is anyone in the world who would jettison our 120 point player for Brennan Othmann right now.

What are we doing here, boys?

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Crazy idea, but with Swayman and the Bruins at odds...

Trade Shesty for Swayman?

Swayman would have to agree to a 1-year deal initially for about what Shesty is making now, but we could then give him a long-term deal in January.

Swayman is younger and will probably take less than 12 mil.
A handful of unknowns..What have the Bruins actually offered Swayman, what will/won't he accept, is he turning down what is assumedly an 8x8 contract and looking for more $$, are NYR setting an internal limit on how much they want to pay a goalie/what are NYR willing to pay for a goalie. If NYR are setting a limit and are trying to avoid paying a goalie, say $10/11m+, it might just be treading water. But certainly worth exploring. Makes me wonder what something around Shesty+Kakko could pull from the B's.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
the reports are already out that the Rangers are willing to go above 10.5 for Igor. If it's really about this 12mil, I doubt Drury is worrying about Igor going to market. No team could give him that even if they would--and I highly doubt any team would.

Also, as much as Swayman is waiting on an Igor extension, Drury is obviously happy to wait for Swayman's new deal to settle. He's not sitting out the season. I'd bet he's signed for 8 or just over. Igor won't have a comparable, present or historical to justify the kind of seismic leap he's asking for. And that's all without accounting for if he doesn't have a great season, or struggles in the playoffs.

Personally, I'm very happy to walk him to UFA this year.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
the reports are already out that the Rangers are willing to go above 10.5 for Igor. If it's really about this 12mil, I doubt Drury is worrying about Igor going to market. No team could give him that even if they would--and I highly doubt any team would.

Also, as much as Swayman is waiting on an Igor extension, Drury is obviously happy to wait for Swayman's new deal to settle. He's not sitting out the season. I'd bet he's signed for 8 or just over. Igor won't have a comparable, present or historical to justify the kind of seismic leap he's asking for. And that's all without accounting for if he doesn't have a great season, or struggles in the playoffs.

Cant compare RFA with about to be an UFA. Different situations. But I get it

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Drury will pay him 12+

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Essentially where I am at. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt last season and it was a great regular season and another enjoyable run. But the ECF was a carbon copy of 2022 against Tampa, just with a different coach.

MAYBE some locker room turmoil with Trouba essentially calling out with the "last chance" stuff sparks them, but most of the preseason Ive watched has been familiar. I do see potential in the young group of players we have. Why not let Rempe, Othmann, Edstrom and Mancini all make the team? So Vesey and Brodzinki and Lindgren can be "glue guys" who contribute nothing and get the shit kicked out of them? Thats what a team who wants to raise its ceiling would do.

Guys who win 1v1 battles all over the ice will drastically improve the 5v5 play. It's simple math when you think about it. Hitting, forecheck, drawing penalties, leads to scoring chances. We're too soft physically when you get to the later rounds against real contenders. McDavid would flattened us if we lucked past Florida.

I accept the moniker

Well we went something like 1 for 17 on the power play vs. Florida and ended our playoffs with a 24% power play. Rangers had a power play goal in 1 game out of 6.

Edmonton went 3 for 25 (one of them came on a full two minute taken two man advantage) against Florida and ended their playoffs a 29.33% power play. Oilers had a power play goal in 2 games out of 7.

And looking at that one could say that the Florida penalty kill was a big reason why they won the Cup. It wasn't just the Rangers that had a problem scoring on them on the power play. Edmonton had gone through 3 series pretty much converting on a third of their power plays and did 12% against the Panthers.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Also looking at the Cup finals.

McDavid had 3 goals and 8 assists but was shut out in games 1, 6 and 7. He had two big nights game 4--1 goal 3 assists and game 5 2 goals and 2 assists. That's 8 of his 11 points in two of the games.

Draisatl was shut out in games 1, 2, 3, 5 and 7 and had only 3 assists in the Florida series.

Hyman was shut out in games 1, 2, 3, and 7 and had 2 goals and 2 assist for the series.

Nugent-Hopkins was shut out in games 1, 2, 3, 5 and 7 and had 2 assists in the Florida series.

Bouchard was shut out in games 1, 3, 6 and 7 and had 5 assists (3 in game 6) in the Florida series.

So how we would have done in the Cup finals against Edmonton is hard to say. Florida seemed to have something that negated both the Rangers and Oilers offenses when they had to have it. The Oilers broke through once or twice and maybe the Rangers really once but couldn't sustain the offense long enough. Compare Draisatl to Panarin or Zibanejad---Hyman to Kreider. Nugent-Hopkins went missing and Bouchard had his struggles too. McDavid blows the doors off in 2 of 7 games but in the other 5 manages 3 assists.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Also looking at the Cup finals.

McDavid had 3 goals and 8 assists but was shut out in games 1, 6 and 7. He had two big nights game 4--1 goal 3 assists and game 5 2 goals and 2 assists. That's 8 of his 11 points in two of the games.

Draisatl was shut out in games 1, 2, 3, 5 and 7 and had only 3 assists in the Florida series.

Hyman was shut out in games 1, 2, 3, and 7 and had 2 goals and 2 assist for the series.

Nugent-Hopkins was shut out in games 1, 2, 3, 5 and 7 and had 2 assists in the Florida series.

Bouchard was shut out in games 1, 3, 6 and 7 and had 5 assists (3 in game 6) in the Florida series.

So how we would have done in the Cup finals against Edmonton is hard to say. Florida seemed to have something that negated both the Rangers and Oilers offenses when they had to have it. The Oilers broke through once or twice and maybe the Rangers really once but couldn't sustain the offense long enough. Compare Draisatl to Panarin or Zibanejad---Hyman to Kreider. Nugent-Hopkins went missing and Bouchard had his struggles too. McDavid blows the doors off in 2 of 7 games but in the other 5 manages 3 assists.
So, maybe the takeaway here is that defense wins championships. Who'da thunk it?

Reactions: Kocur Dill

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Drury will pay him 12+

And we will be right back on the train of overpaying for the least crucial position on ice, especially in the post season. It's rinse and repeat being a Ranger fan for decades. I had hoped we would maybe be spared this for a good number of years, but with the lack of our top prospects developing into true 'star' players, we'll be right back having a hugely expensive goalie supposedly as our best player, and quite possibly even that far from certainly being the case. Very few can be a Henrik.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
And we will be right back on the train of overpaying for the least crucial position on ice, especially in the post season. It's rinse and repeat being a Ranger fan for decades. I had hoped we would maybe be spared this for a good number of years, but with the lack of our top prospects developing into true 'star' players, we'll be right back having a hugely expensive goalie supposedly as our best player, and quite possibly even that far from certainly being the case. Very few can be a Henrik.
I’m sorry did you just say goalie was the least crucial position on ice?

Bad goaltending ruins a team.
Please see NJ, Toronto , edmonton
All in the past few years.

Star goaltenders rarely win the cup for the same reason we didn’t see a guy making 10m win until mackinnon. The cap is the cap and it values underpaying everyone.

Reactions: TominNC

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
I’m sorry did you just say goalie was the least crucial position on ice?

Bad goaltending ruins a team.
Please see NJ, Toronto , edmonton
All in the past few years.

Star goaltenders rarely win the cup for the same reason we didn’t see a guy making 10m win until mackinnon. The cap is the cap and it values underpaying everyone.

Well, no, I didn't. I presumed people wouldn't be daft enough to assume I meant you can win with awful goaltending, as I certainly didn't say that. What you can absolutely do is win with bang average goaltending at half the price of a crazy goalie contract.

You say the cap, but it would be totally disengenious to ignore how much more effective giving these kind of massive cap proportional contracts to D or forwards is than handing it to a goalie. Particularly on a roster already filled with a top heavy / loaded structure, otherwise it might be somewhat less damaging.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Dont come crying when the Rangers PP dries up in the most important games of the season because Mika can't get his one timer to hit the net. You've been warned.
And somehow it's a guarantee that with a different unit, or just swapping players around will have better success during the most important games? This "Haha, I told you" doesn't work when the other option might be worse.

Again, nobody here is arguing that the powerplay is 100% a shoe in to finish top 3 again, or that a struggling powerplay shouldn't be touched, when struggling.

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Well, no, I didn't. I presumed people wouldn't be daft enough to assume I meant you can win with awful goaltending, as I certainly didn't say that. What you can absolutely do is win with bang average goaltending at half the price of a crazy goalie contract.

You say the cap, but it would be totally disengenious to ignore how much more effective giving these kind of massive cap proportional contracts to D or forwards is than handing it to a goalie. Particularly on a roster already filled with a top heavy / loaded structure, otherwise it might be somewhat less damaging.
Ok. Now find me average goaltending who’s consistently average, and doesn’t fluctuate between terrible and good.
Good goalies are rare because they’re fairly consistent, but the position has huge variables, and that variation makes it really hard.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If Igor is going to be that stubborn and insist on getting his number then take him to UFA. Let’s see if another team is willing to go near his asking price. But even if he has an incredible season it’s not going to change much. That’s what I would do but I bet he’s signed.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad