Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nyaz11

Jun 15, 2021
The biggest news of this offseason, was the NHL allowing deferred money to lower cap hits.

Drury and Dolan should absolutely take advantage asap and lock both shesty and laf up to deals that they want money wise and the rangers can defer to make work cap wise. It’s time for them to be ahead of the curve before the NHL starts preventing it.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
This could plausibly be the last year before we blow it up if the playoffs are a disappointment again.

I don’t think it’s super likely? But I’d rather not start a new rebuild with a 8x100 contract at goalie.

I love Igor and hope we retires here but I think we can wait until the offseason to decide
Agreed.

I'd like to proceed based on how this season goes. There's going to be some heavy furniture moved next summer either way.

I'm also not worried about Kakko. Didn't he come into the preseason looking like gangbusters last year and then fall back to earth anyway during the season?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If you think we’re not in playoff position at the deadline I’ve got a bridge to sell you
I didn't say that. But if you think we are still a Cup contender without him, I've got a bridge to sell you.

So we either:

A) Sign him now to his 12M or whatever he wants.
B) Trade him at deadline because we don't want to risk losing him for nothing, thus DRASTICALLY reducing the chances of winning a cup.
C) Pray to got he signs with us after the season, but likely he wants to see the offers he will get at that point.

Reactions: JohnC

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The biggest news of this offseason, was the NHL allowing deferred money to lower cap hits.

Drury and Dolan should absolutely take advantage asap and lock both shesty and laf up to deals that they want money wise and the rangers can defer to make work cap wise. It’s time for them to be ahead of the curve before the NHL starts preventing it.

Players will have to want deferred money for this to work.

Most will not.

Reactions: frozenrubber

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Players will have to want deferred money for this to work.

Most will not.
Yeah, it's a bit like saying "A lower salary will lower the cap hit". Although what is the minimum contract length for this deferred money thing to work? On one year deals it could be very useful.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I asked and still haven’t seen any confirmation that deferred money can result in AAV allocation to 9 years of 8 year contract, for example. Until then this is strictly a cash flow concept that has nothing to do with salary cap.

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
And let him walk for nothing? No thanks. The longer we wait the longer he can up his demands. Or we can have a shit show at the trade deadline and lose any chance we have at the cup.
I hear you but better to squeeze whatever left there is this year. This will be a very bad move on the organization to do this. Haven't people learned the nfl mistakes with signing 15 qbs to outrageous contracts ? Just not worth it. Either way he is and will still demand outrageous numbers this year or next.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
I hear you but better to squeeze whatever left there is this year. This will be a very bad move on the organization to do this. Haven't people learned the nfl mistakes with signing 15 qbs to outrageous contracts ? Just not worth it. Either way he is and will still demand outrageous numbers this year or next.
QB's are even a poor example, they can affect the game infinitely more than a goalie.

Goalies are like field goal kickers. It's important to have a good one, but it's rare you need a star one (although it helps).

The NHL is all about star studded centers and center depth.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Igor contract is a nothingburger. He either takes a "discount" the Rangers are comfortable with before the season, or the Rangers match whatever contract he gets from outside the organization when free agency hits. It it's a massive overpay, he can go. Fox and Mika took below market deals. Igor should too. Jalen Brunson did it, hell even Crosby has taken discounts his whole career. If Igor wont, he better win them a Cup this year, because the fanbase and organization will probably be in agreement that at 12m+ AAV goalie isnt worth it after 2 separate Cup windows squandered with a big ticket goalie. It is what it is.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Igor contract is a nothingburger. He either takes a "discount" the Rangers are comfortable with before the season, or the Rangers match whatever contract he gets from outside the organization when free agency hits. It it's a massive overpay, he can go. Fox and Mika took below market deals. Igor should too. Jalen Brunson did it, hell even Crosby has taken discounts his whole career. If Igor wont, he better win them a Cup this year, because the fanbase and organization will probably be in agreement that at 12m+ AAV goalie isnt worth it after 2 separate Cup windows squandered with a big ticket goalie. It is what it is.
him walking does not help us
either he stays at a # we can live with, or we deal him to not lose asset for nothing.

And whether or not he should be dealt at a reasonable but expensive # anyway b'c repurposing his worth elsewhere into the team is a fair ?, esp since we have Garand ready to knock on the door

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
him walking does not help us
either he stays at a # we can live with, or we deal him to not lose asset for nothing.

And whether or not he should be dealt at a reasonable but expensive # anyway b'c repurposing his worth elsewhere into the team is a fair ?, esp since we have Garand ready to knock on the door
Goalies aren't worth much in trades in the cap era.

If we offered Adam Fox, 31 teams pick up the phone.

If Igor is on the block, there's like 2 or 3 teams that are going to be willing/able to pay the price.

Because you can only have one starter, either most teams with a starter wouldn't be in the market, or they would have to send that starter back because of the cap. We would end up trading Igor for a worse goalie and a small add.

I would rather let him walk and go cheap in goal.

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny
Goalies aren't worth much in trades in the cap era.

If we offered Adam Fox, 31 teams pick up the phone.

If Igor is on the block, there's like 2 or 3 teams that are going to be willing/able to pay the price.

Because you can only have one starter, either most teams with a starter wouldn't be in the market, or they would have to send that starter back because of the cap. We would end up trading Igor for a worse goalie and a small add.

I would rather let him walk and go cheap in goal.
when is the last time the best goalie in the league got traded?

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
If you think we’re not in playoff position at the deadline I’ve got a bridge to sell you
In an ideal world, I would like to re-sign Shesterkin, but not at any cost and I don't want to let hm walk out the door for nothing. That would be franchise malpractice. In a trade you can get a goalie back; will he be as good as Shesterkin; not likely, but with a better allocation of resources (including pieces you get back), the Cup window wouldn't be closed. Plus, in an Igor trade, Drury wouldn't be asking for some goalie scrub.

Look at goalies who have won the Cup recently, Adin Hill; Darcy Keumper, Jordan Binnington; Braden Holtby (where's he now?) etc.; none of them are in Shesterkin's class; they all had teams playing like gangbusters in front of them.

Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
In an ideal world, I would like to re-sign Shesterkin, but not at any cost and I don't want to let hm walk out the door for nothing. That would be franchise malpractice. In a trade you can get a goalie back; will he be as good as Shesterkin; not likely, but with a better allocation of resources (including pieces you get back), the Cup window wouldn't be closed. Plus, in an Igor trade, Drury wouldn't be asking for some goalie scrub.

Look at goalies who have won the Cup recently, Adin Hill; Darcy Keumper, Jordan Binnington; Braden Holtby (where's he now?) etc.; none of them are in Shesterkin's class; they all had teams playing like gangbusters in front of them.
Bob was also playing at 36 and didn’t have the most incredible season last year. Matt Murray. Corey Crawford to me was also pretty overrated. Generationally talented gangbuster teams in front of those three guys for sure.

We must start giving Garand some games in the NHL this year. Not hinging the future on him at this very second, but he seems like he could be a solid goalie here. He needs to play NHL games.

I am also thinking and looking at all of this like: “IF we win it all this year, pay Shesty. If we do not win, see ya later, the retool gets more interesting.”

Everyone knows we will be forced to retool a bit after this season. Lots of important contracts up and we will most certainly need a lot of D help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad