Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Can Mark Giordano still play? He's a relic of a bygone era but hes a guy who would be very low risk on a PTO. People forget about the trade rumors around him and Strome at the Seattle expansion draft.
1726696108909.png

He's rearing and ready to go

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
a) What if this is Kakko's full potential?
b) Kakko has shown he isn't a fit here roster wise.

I have no idea why Panarin's exit would increase Kakko's value. 🤔
  1. Kakko isn't likely to get promoted to PP1 if Panarin isn't around.
  2. Kakko plays a completely different position than Panarin.
  3. Kakko can't even beat out Jimmy Vesey for a spot on the RW.

The truth hurts sometimes.
Sometimes the truth does hurt sometimes, but one has to be factually correct to claim the truth.

b) is easier
KK has demonstrated he is a fit at least initially w/'kid line'
it is not his fault once Chytil became even more injured/unavailable, Rs did not manage to replace w/suitable alternate, and ditto for LaF once his skating finally got to NHL par.
That KK could contribute w/not fully par skating LaF is a plus.

Now it is fair to say that a player must show sufficient progress if given adequate opportunity, but we do not mark injury as basis to count vs that, and it is on the club to attempt to provide all players with proper chemistry, which is fragile, but also real.
Chytil + KK have demonstrated prior chemistry, they should be given every opportunity to recreate.
The intelligent conclusion then is not to deal KK and regard him like useless POS Lias Anderson, and instead find correct LW, which we expect to be Cuyle.

a) KK's full potential?
Subjective question prompting a subjective answer: unknown.
Howev, guy has size, is a good power skater w/room to improve further, handles the puck well esp in dirty areas like corners/boards. Has a hard shot. There is room for improvement but there is legit basis to see cause for upside based on eye test.
I believe he is turning a corner which can only come w/experience, but that said, while a handful of elite guys can play w/anybody and not only look good, but make their linemates also look good, for most it is a matter of little things, like recognizing how your linemate reacts. When you are comfortable that your perception there is correct, you and that linemate can have a basis to expect increased success at recognizing plays, and that helps w/time, etc.
Of course lines are 3 so a third guy is needed at the other W.

re:
"I have no idea why Panarin's exit would increase Kakko's value. 🤔"
If for no other reason, supply and demand.
Yeah, if you traded bread and you got back, say, Nylander, which is NOT gonna happen, then you are replacing elite W w/elite W.
But barring that, absence of bread means all Ranger Ws have increased value, and those who are yielding more bang for the buck having more value. Pre injury some mused having 3 Chytils at a third of the price of Panarin was more productive.
Assuming we do not rush to deal LaF to avoid big payday->cap hit, and are properly keeping Kreider, we need to see who can step up.
It is Kakko's time.
Variables need to be coordinated as noted above, yes, but this is his time.
It is not time to, having developed him, sell him short.

1. Kakko isn't likely to get promoted to PP1 if Panarin isn't around.
    This is irrelevant, the PP will run 2 primary lines to avoid fatigue and whoever is hot w/most chemistry will get most time

2. Kakko plays a completely different position than Panarin.
    He is a useful W. That is the main thing. Howev, he is also a lefty shot. I could see him at LW were that required.
    Also, as I have espoused many times, on offense, I couldn't fuggin care less, whatever guys are comfortable w/and works that's fine.
    But on defense, including Fs, it is always preferable to have natural handedness so guys do not have to reach over on their off handed sided to cover the puck sliding along the boards.

3. Kakko can't even beat out Jimmy Vesey for a spot on the RW.
    Vesey is overrated and his status has been helped by others being down. We should sell high, try to add a 3rd and get a 2nd and allow youth to take it's course.
Youth will be served.
Cue Carole King, a true national treasure, "Sweet Seasons"
"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose..."

Of course those who champion truth usually win more and lose less.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
When did people just randomly decide that Fox played poorly in the playoffs?
this past playoff? He was definitely underwhelming but we knew the reason right away, he had a f***ed up knee. Historically he's been great in the playoffs. in 2022 he scored 23 points in 20 games which are numbers only Makar has bettered (against weaker competition tbqh) nobody seems to care though Fox remains underrated with NHL.com ranking clowns like Hedman McAvoy and Heiskanen higher than him, and is starting to get underrated around here too, just because he didnt score much this past post season (PPG in the regular season, but who cares i guess)

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Last 23 playoff games….. how many goals do you think Fox had? How about assists?

I watched every game twice- nonfactor poor on defense. One of our worst defenders.

Looks at the stats. Trouba had more.
and before this playoff he was our best defender hands down...

Reactions: bhamill

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Im just not really sure that he was even hampered that much by the injury. Away from Lindgren he was still tilting the ice to an absurd degree just like in the regular season, and NYR were filling the net with pucks in the Fox-without-Lindgren minutes as always.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I’m tired of sports culture brain rot where the star players get blamed for everything and the weak links given a pass. I don’t understand where the idea comes from that players are supposed to elevate from a production standpoint in the postseason where the competition is infinitely better

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
I’m tired of sports culture brain rot where the star players get blamed for everything and the weak links given a pass. I don’t understand where the idea comes from that players are supposed to elevate from a production standpoint in the postseason where the competition is infinitely better
Oh! Oh! I know this one!

Their paychecks.

Their paychecks is the answer.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Last 23 playoff games….. how many goals do you think Fox had? How about assists?

I watched every game twice- nonfactor poor on defense. One of our worst defenders.

Looks at the stats. Trouba had more.

My friend, if you're saying you watched every game twice and looked at the stats as well, and after all that you still think Fox was bad & Trouba wasn't, I'd recommend seeing an optometrist as soon as you are able.

Last 23 playoff games:
Fox 0-16-16, +5
5v5 GF 16
5v5 GA 10
SH GF 4
PP GA 3

Trouba 1-6-7, -1
5v5 GF 11
5v5 GA 12
SH GF 2
PP GA 6

Reactions: bhamill

Takeahnase

Jun 29, 2024
NLV
What does “a graceful way to save face for both” mean in regards to Panarin? Panarin finished 5th in Hart voting. The idea that he may have to slink out the back door or something is utterly bewildering. Maybe I am reading that statement wrong or something.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A Caps player did a knee on knee with Fox in like the 3rd game of the first round of the playoffs. He was down for a while but he came back in the game but that's where the injury happened. He was playing hurt for the rest of the playoffs. It seemed to be bugging him more in the Panthers series but the Panthers also forechecked and hit him a lot more than the Caps or the Canes. That's that teams MO and the bad leg made Fox an easier target. Rangers on the whole with the exception really of Sheshterkin were discombulating at that point anyway.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

DevilDog99

May 5, 2018
and before this playoff he was our best defender hands down...
That includes two playoffs ago as well. It has been three years since he was that guy.

Zibs Pan and Fox. We win if they become as good or better than the other teams’ best guys.

When tampa won, hedman was a force, same with makar. We need fox like that… like three years ago. He hasn’t been the same the last two years.

it’s their attitudes…. You see fox pouting after every call and play? Zbad diving in that florida game?

These guys are the anti mess and graves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad