Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
As I said JVR is not about Kakko. But I disagree about the other part. There’s no obligation to JVR whatsoever but if our prospects can’t beat him - it’s on them, not organization taking away their opportunities, but addressing entitlement attitudes.
I was replying more in general about Kakko, I saw that you felt similarly.

Teams bring young players along more quickly when they GIVE them opportunities, and not just for a game or four, and see how they handle it. As we finally did with Laf last season. JVR brings nothing we actually need. A declining 35 year old who scored all of 26 pts last year off of the power play. If we needed a veteran presence I could see trying him. We don’t. We need to integrate our young players, OR at least find out if they are capable. For this team he is subtraction by addition. Is it the end of the world if they sign him? No. It’s just a waste of cap and of a contract we could use on something we actually need.

Reactions: bernmeister

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would be shocked if Kevin Shattenkirk would EVER want to be anywhere near the NY Rangers again.
I could see the Rangers maybe looking at a D PTO but I don't see a need for a forward PTO. Reilly Smith should resolve our top 6 issue that is unless Kakko finally steps up. But Chytil, Cuylle, Kakko look like they'll be the probable 3rd line. Where would JVR and Labanc fit then. We've got a bunch of 4th line options---Carrick, Vesey, Rempe, Edstrom, Brodzinski who IMO are better options for that line than either JVR or Labanc. We also could see pushes by Berard and Othmann to make the team. Neither JVR or Labanc are that good. Labanc's offensive game has been missing for some time. Neither are very physical or any great shakes as defensive players. I don't think we should do either of them because there's no need to.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I could see the Rangers maybe looking at a D PTO but I don't see a need for a forward PTO. Reilly Smith should resolve our top 6 issue that is unless Kakko finally steps up. But Chytil, Cuylle, Kakko look like they'll be the probable 3rd line. Where would JVR and Labanc fit then. We've got a bunch of 4th line options---Carrick, Vesey, Rempe, Edstrom, Brodzinski who IMO are better options for that line than either JVR or Labanc. We also could see pushes by Berard and Othmann to make the team. Neither JVR or Labanc are that good. Labanc's offensive game has been missing for some time. Neither are very physical or any great shakes as defensive players. I don't think we should do either of them because there's no need to.
I would rather just let the younger players fight it out for the last spots on the roster; they have to assess who would be better served going to Hartford to at least start the season.

Labanc has been mentioned on here for a few years. Was intrigued by Van Riemsdyk a few years ago, but not now. Whoever PTO guy they may sign needs to have speed and is good on the forecheck.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would rather just let the younger players fight it out for the last spots on the roster; they have to assess who would be better served going to Hartford to at least start the season.

Labanc has been mentioned on here for a few years. Was intrigued by Van Riemsdyk a few years ago, but not now. Whoever PTO guy they may sign needs to have speed and is good on the forecheck.

I'd much rather that too. I kind of think that Berard and Othmann are probably going to spend a good portion of the year with the Pack but I also think they're close enough where a good preseason and either could make the team. Also think Rempe will make the team and that Edstrom has a very good chance. Signing a Labanc or a JVR is going to block somebody at least for this year and I don't see either making it into our top 9 particularly Labanc. If you want to sign Labanc and send him to Hartford....I'm okay with that. I don't think JVR would do that.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Rangers need to lean into being a more high energy team. That means youth and speed.

iu

That's hard to do when even your star players aren't fast.

Fox is an agile and shifty skater, but not fast.
Kreider has those two bursts per game.
Panarin prefers to go east-west rather than north-south.

To be fair, I've never seen how fast Shesterkin skates.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I don’t care what he’s doing now, I’ll boo trouba not bc of this offseason but Because watching years of him steadily declining into an ahl level player is why I would boo him. Trouba is cheeks and he should be booed for that reason.
If a player is putting the effort I see no reason to no a Ranger. If he’s not trying I guess it’s ok. I’m not much a booing type.

Reactions: egelband

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Same people who want to give JVR a PTO will be complaining about rookies ice time next year. Hard, hard pass on him and any of these broken down vets. Rangers need to lean into being a more high energy team. That means youth and speed.
This ^, except it is not a hard or hard, hard pass.
No hard on or off whatsoever

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
iu

Kreids still has it.
Just not a good look nor productive for him to outskate linemates Ds.
If he bookended MacKinnon at W w/McDavid at pivot, he'd have no prob keeping up on a line that could truly fly.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
iu

Play fast

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Good for Marc. It was always a shame ungrateful fans held the contract the team offered against him. Powered through some debilitating injuries to have a very long career in the league. Key part of the team's that turned around the perception of the franchise. People can downplay it but losing his leadership (along with Hank and Fast) post-bubble playoffs contributed to what an absolute shitshow the locker room became the next year. Happy to have him back.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Marc Staal outside of the 20 or so games in 2013 before the eye injury was no better than a #4. Very good at holding the line and limiting chances and was phenomenal at evading pressure in the corners despite not being overly graceful but the lack of offense and contributions to transition were always a weak point that obviously got worse once the vision went. I don’t think he really got a proper partner until Stralman came along either. Post eye injury obviously he was awful but his feet went at the same time, double whammy.

No idea how he’ll do as a coach. Just because he was a dinosaur in this league play style wise doesn’t mean he’s going to emphasize that players play like he did.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Marc Staal outside of the 20 or so games in 2013 before the eye injury was no better than a #4. Very good at holding the line and limiting chances and was phenomenal at evading pressure in the corners despite not being overly graceful but the lack of offense and contributions to transition were always a weak point that obviously got worse once the vision went. I don’t think he really got a proper partner until Stralman came along either. Post eye injury obviously he was awful but his feet went at the same time, double whammy.

No idea how he’ll do as a coach. Just because he was a dinosaur in this league play style wise doesn’t mean he’s going to emphasize that players play like he did.
Staal was a giant defensively for the beginning of his career. He ate up tough match-ups and while he didn't produce offensively, he was a big part of those Ranger teams that went far.

I'm happy to see him back in the organization.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Staal was a giant defensively for the beginning of his career. He ate up tough match-ups and while he didn't produce offensively, he was a big part of those Ranger teams that went far.

I'm happy to see him back in the organization.

Staal (and Girardi & McD later) matched up against the greatest players of a generation (Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin) on a routine basis and in the playoffs their entire Ranger careers. At a time when the team had 0 answer for them at forward. Staal could defend the front of the net better than any defenseman we've had since. Hopefully he can teach some of our young players about that. Igor gets run with no repercussions more than Hank ever did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad