Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Since Fox, Zibanejad, Kreider, and Panarin are on a unit together, they're a top 5 powerplay.

Powerplay.PNG

If you're that desperate to change a top 5 unit in the league because you're bored, the correct answer is Trocheck.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Those assist numbers seem to back up my assessment. And as we’ve seen , in a playoff series, when a team decides to focus on him in front, the PP goes straight down the crap tubes

The PP going Ice cold has gotten us knocked out 2 years I a row
The team being f***ing ass at 5v5 and having to rely on 2-3 PPG's per game has gotten us knocked out two years in a row.

Sure, the powerplay went on a 2 for 25 run at the end of the playoffs (one of the two goals saved the season, we'll ignore that).

Before that, they were 10 for 29. It is THE reason they beat Carolina and also the reason they didn't go like 7 against f***ing Washington.

That's what powerplays do. Did you start watching hockey 10 minutes ago? Everyone's powerplay, from the best to the worst, runs hot and cold. That's why you don't rely on them.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The team being f***ing ass at 5v5 and having to rely on 2-3 PPG's per game has gotten us knocked out two years in a row.

Sure, the powerplay went on a 2 for 25 run at the end of the playoffs (one of the two goals saved the season, we'll ignore that).

Before that, they were 10 for 29. It is THE reason they beat Carolina and also the reason they didn't go like 7 against f***ing Washington.

That's what powerplays do. Did you start watching hockey 10 minutes ago? Everyone's powerplay, from the best to the worst, runs hot and cold. That's why you don't rely on them.
Yes the team is ass 5v5 but with Igor and a couple more pp goals we still win both those series

The team doesn’t seem to be interested in fixing the underlying issues so the least they could do is maximize the PP

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Regular season PP rankings are fugazi .

Carolina had a better PP than us according to the stats.

Padding your numbers with garbage time PP goals against the dregs of the league don’t mean shit.
Interesting that you think "all of our powerplay success was against bad teams" is a more likely scenario than "it went cold."

Reactions: DanielBrassard

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

Everyone’s powerplay runs hot and cold. That’s why you don’t rely on ONE configuration. I’ve been saying this since the NJ loss when our powerplay disappeared. We need OPTIONS. And the regular season is the time to figure out those options. Lafreniere scored 26 EV goals last year to Mika’s TWELVE. There’s absolutely no reason to believe that with a man advantage, the extra space of a PP AND getting the 1:20-1:30 chunk of PP time on the first unit, rather than the 30-40 secs of the second unit starting outside of the O zone at that, Lafreniere can’t score MORE than the 12 goals Mika scored on the PP last year. I think it’s a bad argument to say we had such a good powerplay that we shouldn’t try things to not only give us OPTIONS on the PP, but to also make PP1 BETTER. Especially when that powerplay has miserably ultimately failed us the past two post seasons… I’d personally keep Tro on PP1 over Mika for his face offs and the fact that he scored just one ppg less than Mika while not being the guy being fed shot opportunities.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Everyone’s powerplay runs hot and cold. That’s why you don’t rely on ONE configuration. I’ve been saying this since the NJ loss when our powerplay disappeared. We need OPTIONS. And the regular season is the time to figure out those options. Lafreniere scored 26 EV goals last year to Mika’s TWELVE. There’s absolutely no reason to believe that with a man advantage, the extra space of a PP AND getting the 1:20-1:30 chunk of PP time on the first unit, rather than the 30-40 secs of the second unit starting outside of the O zone at that, Lafreniere can’t score MORE than the 12 goals Mika scored on the PP last year. I think it’s a bad argument to say we had such a good powerplay that we shouldn’t try things to not only give us OPTIONS on the PP, but to also make PP1 BETTER. Especially when that powerplay has miserably ultimately failed us the past two post seasons… I’d personally keep Tro on PP1 over Mika for his face offs and the fact that he scored just one ppg less than Mika while not being the guy being fed shot opportunities.
I think you do something big and split Fox and Panarin.
I think you accept we have too much talent to load onto one, and you accept that maybe we drop from top 5 to top 10, but that we end up with a deeper power play.

Maybe pp1
Chytil tro Laf
Panarin Kakko/smith ?

Pp 2

Mika ? Ck
? Fox

There’s a couple questions there and also the numbering doesn’t matter. And before anyone starts, No I don’t believe Kakko deserves pp1 off the bat after last season.
But to split you do end up with something like that.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Kreider should not be untouchable . He’s actually terrible on the PP aside from tip ins. Can’t do zone entries, can’t control the pucks. Not a great passer. We need to forget 2022 he’ll never do that again.

But whatever he’s 3rd choice to be replaced anyway. Zib first, then Trochek.
We're a little out to lunch here. 5th itl in PPGs last year.

Zone entries? Bro.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Why do Rangers fans hate our D corps so much. When I read articles reviewing various teams preparations for the season, the team generally gets praised for strong D.

Fox is a Norris candidate.
Schneider and Miller are young and good. Fans are so damn impatient with young D. Yet everyone always says D takes longer to develop.
Which brings us to Jones who fans have been demanding that he gets a chance. Well here it is.
Trouba is way over paid but talent wise as a 3rd pair he's better than what other teams are rolling out, when he's healthy.
Lindgren is the problem. Pairing him with Fox is a problem. Hopefully things get rearranged.
Lindgren & Trouba are big problems. Our ability to quickly get back on offense is stifled with these guys. It would be nice if the team could put Fox w Miller, but so far Fox has got to be with Lindgren. It's ridiculous, really, the loyalty to bad players.

Smart teams hide their worst defensemen.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Makar, Hedman, Josi you can make a competent argument for. The rest are laughable. Personally I take Fox #2 right after Makar.

You really can't with Hedman who has basically been a pure OFD for the last few seasons.

And no one will readily admit it, but Makar was kind of ass last year.

Lindgren & Trouba are big problems. Our ability to quickly get back on offense is stifled with these guys. It would be nice if the team could put Fox w Miller, but so far Fox has got to be with Lindgren. It's ridiculous, really, the loyalty to bad players.

Smart teams hide their worst defensemen.

Or get rid of them.

Reactions: frozenrubber

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I think you accept we have too much talent to load onto one, and you accept that maybe we drop from top 5 to top 10, but that we end up with a deeper power play.

Maybe pp1
Chytil tro Laf
Panarin Kakko/smith ?

Pp 2

Mika ? Ck
? Fox

There’s a couple questions there and also the numbering doesn’t matter. And before anyone starts, No I don’t believe Kakko deserves pp1 off the bat after last season.
Honestly those wouldn’t be the configurations I would advocate for, BUT, I’m of a mind that it’s better to try different combinations enough that there is a bit of familiarity and we have options. Only way to find out is to TRY different combos.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Much of the argument is a lot of the plays are set up around the 4 right hand shots and Kreider jamming the net. It's just whip the puck around and pass off the pass or shot all the time and when another left shot is on that guy is on his backhand too much. So that to work out something different another bunch of plays would have to be set up and Mika, Panarin, Fox and Kreider have all been working with each other on this for 4 years and Trocheck (who replaced right shot Strome) for two. It's also at least compared to other team's power plays very productive.

Coaches don't like to throw games away and to work a new configuration you're probably going to have to figure on taking more losses just to begin to get the familiarity necessary for the chemistry. That critical time when you need a goal and it doesn't come......it might not come anyway but the chances are better. I don't expect Laviolette is going to be a whole lot different from Gallant, Quinn, Vigneault in that regard. He's not going to want to do that. If one of them gets hurt for an extended period it would force the team to figure something out.......or not.

Perreault is coming along though too and my guess is it won't be long before he forces his way on to the power play simply because he's got the hockey IQ and skillset similar to a Panarin or a Fox. Before he got hurt last year he was running 1-2 for the NCAA scoring lead as a freshman and he was fantastic at the WJC's. Skating at speed was his biggest issue but it improved so that it is not really a detriment anymore. Probably still needs to get a bit stronger though.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Maybe pp1
Chytil tro Laf
Panarin Kakko/smith ?

Pp 2

Mika ? Ck
? Fox

Why would you make a change where the plan is to drop from top 5 to top 10?

Reactions: eco's bones

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I am actually stroking it to this post

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Much of the argument is a lot of the plays are set up around the 4 right hand shots and Kreider jamming the net. It's just whip the puck around and pass off the pass or shot all the time and when another left shot is on that guy is on his backhand too much. So that to work out something different another bunch of plays would have to be set up and Mika, Panarin, Fox and Kreider have all been working with each other on this for 4 years and Trocheck (who replaced right shot Strome) for two. It's also at least compared to other team's power plays very productive.

Coaches don't like to throw games away and to work a new configuration you're probably going to have to figure on taking more losses just to begin to get the familiarity necessary for the chemistry. That critical time when you need a goal and it doesn't come......it might not come anyway but the chances are better. I don't expect Laviolette is going to be a whole lot different from Gallant, Quinn, Vigneault in that regard. He's not going to want to do that. If one of them gets hurt for an extended period it would force the team to figure something out.......or not.

Perreault is coming along though too and my guess is it won't be long before he forces his way on to the power play simply because he's got the hockey IQ and skillset similar to a Panarin or a Fox. Before he got hurt last year he was running 1-2 for the NCAA scoring lead as a freshman and he was fantastic at the WJC's. Skating at speed was his biggest issue but it improved so that it is not really a detriment anymore. Probably still needs to get a bit stronger though.
Possibly lose a few games during the regular season to possibly win a few more in the post season? Sign me up. It’s situational. If we are down a goal with 10 mins left in the 3rd I’m not saying that’s the time to f*** around. But anyway, it’s just my outlook on it. It’s something I think could improve our chances. I’m not saying an NHL coach will see eye to eye with me.

I am actually stroking it to this post
Hahahaha

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Regular season PP rankings are fugazi .

Carolina had a better PP than us according to the stats.

Padding your numbers with garbage time PP goals against the dregs of the league don’t mean shit.
Regular season powerplay is the reason we got an easy Washington matchup and didn't potentially get bounced in the first round...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad