Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
If you have 5 or 6 top players who are consistently outplaying their contracts like Florida did then it’s possible. But the Rangers are not in that position.
Thats what happened to TB after vasi signed. They won one more cup and then all their players needed to be re-upped. So they had to start selling them off.

We already have all the high priced contracts. We cant afford to take super high priced goalie bc we havw no elite prospects to start over performing ourside of perrault. We are also old on our top end forwards.

Its not a pretty situation going forward cap wise or player wise for us in a year or two.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yup. The impatience with Othmann is frankly insane. He’s a mid first round pick. Hahaha. He’s about where you want him. Kreider, also a mid 1st rounder, in his 21 year old season (where Oth is now) split his time between the AHL (48 games) and NHL (23 games). He had 2G, 1A in the NHL… let’s get a grip on the “we need to trade him” talk. He’s certainly not untouchable in the right deal, but there’s absolutely NO need to move him.

Perrault has potential to be a whole other level, like you said. IMO he’s an absolute steal and will make up for Kakko, who is still going to be, actually IS, a solid middle sixer though NEVER going live up to his draft position. If you reversed their draft positions we’d be happy with them both right now. Hahahaha.
It’s like a clock here every single time: first the prospect is the second coming of Jesus while he’s stuff at lower levels but as soon as he comes close to the NHL and doesn’t immediately make it - he’s a bust let’s trade him and move on to liking the next shiny thing.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
And thats why we dont win. Its why we didnt win Lundqvist. He also took up too much cap. If he came in around $6m instead of $8 we win a cup.

We in a cup how? Adding half of Ales Hemsky in summer 2014 with our extra 2 million dollars?

Reactions: TominNC

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
We won’t, but Would really like to claim Brannstrom on waivers. I’d look at Aho too honestly. It’s a low bar, but it’s better than what they have on the left organizatuinal depth wise. Phillips is another dice throw

Last edited:

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Some interesting names here. Brannstrom was just traded, bold move to try and pass him through.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Isn't playing between the dots what he's always been good at? The issue in the pros is finding space between the dots to produce 5v5; and I haven't seen him do that consistently yet.
I am referring to his AHL play last season. I only caught a few of his OHL games.
Watched Wolf Pack game last season and Othmann was a player who avoided the blue paint and whenever he had the puck in the O-Zone he would shoot on net from the top of the circle.
Never would finish a check and only took the body when the opposing player was right in front of him.
Defensively he would hang high, looking for a breakout play.
But he’s young. That the point of development. I have hope.
I’ll leave on this note. Last season Othman did not play within the dots and this training camp he did. Shows growth.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'd wager Robertson clears. Emberson was arguably at a higher AHL level when he was claimd at the age Matt is now.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The people who are down on Othmann are kind of humorous. The kid didn’t have a great shot of making this team to start the year. He plays a physical, in your face style and he has shown the unique ability to score at every level he has played at. On top of that, I would say this years training camp was an improvement from last years. Are there things he needs to work on? Of course. But by all accounts he’s a rink rat and a very hard worker. Let’s all remember that Kreider was NOT a good defensive player when he came in from college. Players co time to develop. What is tough to teach is the natural talent that is needed to score and the will to get to those dirty areas where goals come from. Othmann has that.

I’d start to be concerned if he isn’t playing in the NHL next season, not this one.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hard to see anyone wanting Robertson. Everyone has someone like him, former second round pick who hasn't done anything floating around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad