Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If they wanted him gone that bad, he would be gone.

It seems to me that they had a specific move in mind on July 1st, they explored a move to Detroit, and Trouba said no.

Brooks took that and ran with it because he'd punch his mother for a click.

By the time 7/1 passed, whatever it was, it appears the ship has sailed. There's been no effort to move Trouba since then.

As much as I would like to believe the team is just over Trouba because he sucks, the signs tell me that moving Trouba wasn't the impetus. The impetus was paying whoever it was that they wanted on July 1st.

And if it makes people feel any better, it was probably stupid! Most expensive UFA's are.

A pretty fair synopsis.

Reactions: majordomo

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Like which things?
He's borderline out of control much of the time skating wise and he's going to have to probably slow way down because I'm not sure the physics is going to change.

If he doesn't he's going to get really hurt, hurt someone else, or both.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
How tf did lafreniere not get offer sheeted last year
Either GMs aren't that stupid or Laf got offers but didn't sign them.

As a GM, it's not a smart move to alienate the Rangers as a trade partner. And they likely know that the Rangers would retaliate.

People were talking about Chicago offer sheeting Laf. Panarin and Trouba are off the books the same year Bedard becomes an RFA, and you know what Drury's marching orders would be from Dolan in that scenario.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Oilers going to let 2 young guys walk is a hoot

I wish Drury had the cap space but even so, would he ever have the balls to do something like this. He’d just overpay for another over the hill vet or a vet close to finished. He would have most likely dealt for Laine if they did not have Trouba’s cap space.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I wish Drury had the cap space but even so, would he ever have the balls to do something like this. He’d just overpay for another over the hill vet or a vet close to finished. He would have most likely dealt for Laine if they did not have Trouba’s cap space.
they could still do it
Oil created cap space at cost of getting loss on Ceci
but still are somewhat tight now and next season, if I'm not mistaken, they are up vs it

downgrade 2 future 2nds to to Oil 3rds + throw in Sykora + Lindgren at half [or Jones full pop]
for Bro + Hol

EDM still get something + improve picks + save cap
Rs upgrade + Bro is younger than Lindy [moved here or follow up deal]

Also, if Letang to MON is a real possibility that could work to our advantage
Habs bought Laine
still have lots of D prospects
Guhle + Reinbacher + Barron
for
LaF + Perreault + Jones

They turn the corner on Ws w/upside, we get D to resolve our backline issues
each retains surplus while addressing need

Am glad to see we did not consider a 1 dimensional, overpriced guy in Laine

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Would you prefer the defense to be 5% better, or the offense to be 11% better? That's what it was like with Kakko last season.

The on-ice shooting percentage was ridiculous when Kakko was on the ice and I'm expecting that 4.7% to make a jump next season, which should help his numbers. Only 6 high danger unblocked shots isn't good enough. He has to get to the net, or take those those shots when given the chance. I think next year you can look at the team and say "we have some prospects that should be really competing for spots" and so Kakko needs to have a solid year to stick around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Machinehead

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
they could still do it
Oil created cap space at cost of getting loss on Ceci
but still are somewhat tight now and next season, if I'm not mistaken, they are up vs it

downgrade 2 future 2nds to to Oil 3rds + throw in Sykora + Lindgren at half [or Jones full pop]
for Bro + Hol
Oilers can't make a trade involving those players. They have to match or lose them.
If they match, (unsure if this rule has changed), they cannot trade those players for the next calendar year.

EDIT: They didn't match.

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Like which things?
He doesn’t have nhl level stick handling or passing.
I didn’t see any shot that looked remotely dangerous.

He can skate fast but out of control, he can hit but has to adjust to his body because he’s moving too fast and isn’t in control…
He can’t stop fast and change direction, which is a lot of nhl skating.
He has to do better at stick checks. He’s 6’7 but somehow can’t stick.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Either GMs aren't that stupid or Laf got offers but didn't sign them.

As a GM, it's not a smart move to alienate the Rangers as a trade partner. And they likely know that the Rangers would retaliate.

People were talking about Chicago offer sheeting Laf. Panarin and Trouba are off the books the same year Bedard becomes an RFA, and you know what Drury's marching orders would be from Dolan in that scenario.
Because he honestly wasn't worth the compensation last year.

Up until this season Laf looked like crap. We can revise history knowing the season he has last year... but up until last season, a lot of people had doubts about him.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Would you prefer the defense to be 5% better, or the offense to be 11% better? That's what it was like with Kakko last season.

The on-ice shooting percentage was ridiculous when Kakko was on the ice and I'm expecting that 4.7% to make a jump next season, which should help his numbers. Only 6 high danger unlocked shots isn't good enough. He has to get to the net, or take those those shots when given the chance. I think next year you can look at the team and say "we have some prospects that should be really competing for spots" and so Kakko needs to have a solid year to stick around.
This is where I'm at.

What started the whole back and forth with Kakko, several pages back, was the notion that some folks have they we don't have the spots for Berard, Othamann, Sykora, etc.

That's a losing mentality. If a guy earns a spot, the guy he beats moves down or moves out. That's hockey. If some idiot we drafted in the 5th or 6th round turns into Brayden Point, I'm demoting Zibanejad and not thinking twice about it.

A guaranteed spot shouldn't be a thing.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
He doesn’t have nhl level stick handling or passing.
I didn’t see any shot that looked remotely dangerous.

He can skate fast but out of control, he can hit but has to adjust to his body because he’s moving too fast and isn’t in control…
He can’t stop fast and change direction, which is a lot of nhl skating.
He has to do better at stick checks. He’s 6’7 but somehow can’t stick.

Not picking on you, but I keep seeing this pretty odd iteration of Rempe’s skating being “ out of control (mind you, this is coming from a guy who has not walked for 18 years).”

I am pretty sure what you guys are talking about is balance, in which case I agree, His balance is not strong enough, and it’s kind of pronounced more than it is for other younger players. Possibly because of his size, well definitely in part., and part of it is probably because he never expected to be in the NHL…

The idea that he cannot “control“ his skating speed is a ridiculous one that we need to abandon.

What is, in fact, more likely is that he intends to skate really hard, but does not have the endurance yet to do it at a sustained pace. That’s what I see with him. And that’s more of a discipline issue that’s just going to take time and exposure to improve, and if it has not by next spring, I really don’t think he will be impact the team as well as he did this past season.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
This is where I'm at.

What started the whole back and forth with Kakko, several pages back, was the notion that some folks have they we don't have the spots for Berard, Othamann, Sykora, etc.

That's a losing mentality. If a guy earns a spot, the guy he beats moves down or moves out. That's hockey. If some idiot we drafted in the 5th or 6th round turns into Brayden Point, I'm demoting Zibanejad and not thinking twice about it.

A guaranteed spot shouldn't be a thing.
iu

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Honestly to me Rempe’s biggest issue is his agility. If he can fix that then he’ll be in a much better spot, but right now it takes forever and a half for him to turn when he overshoots where he’s trying to go

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Oilers can't make a trade involving those players. They have to match or lose them.
If they match, (unsure if this rule has changed), they cannot trade those players for the next calendar year.

EDIT: They didn't match.
thanks for clarification, also unsure
apparently Oil letting youth go, will get what they deserve, esp in long run

Reactions: majordomo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad