Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I don't foresee a first place finish, but they should be fine and in the top three of the division. Devils are going to be a pain, the Capitals got much better on paper, and the Islanders may or may not play that boring style they had end of year very effectively.

If they can stay relatively healthy and have a surprise or two from rookies, they might be a tougher playoff team.

Personally I think we're better with Smith and Berard, though Edstrom could get that spot in the lineup up front if Chytil could stay healthy thats a huge bonus, it's what the D looks like is the question. I still doubt Trouba walks back into our dressingroom.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
He didnt think Trouba was going to be a complete baby. His ass will gone next offseason, we are stuck with him this year, he better f***ing step his game up.
I still believe he's gone, imo they'll present him with trades to teams not on his list, then the one to Detroit and he will have to decide. He's not gonna take the year off, if he did he'll never get back to game shape and will forgo another high dollar contract. The issue then becomes who do you get for the 3rd pair d.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Jacob Trouba's first child was born in January, and in all likelihood, his wife dictated the contract with her plans (maybe, indirectly, he was "supposed" to be at a new low last year... maybe hockey was secondary... they do that... I happen to be cold as ice--life with a disability does that... but I get why he would block a trade to Detroit. Hell be back... hopefully scratched regularly.

Last edited:

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
I still believe he's gone, imo they'll present him with trades to teams not on his list, then the one to Detroit and he will have to decide. He's not gonna take the year off, if he did he'll never get back to game shape and will forgo another high dollar contract. The issue then becomes who do you get for the 3rd pair d.
I doubt they find a trade partner from his strategic use of his NTC.

He'll be a Ranger this year. Next offseason, when his wife's residency is up, they'll be able to find a team he'll accept

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I agree with you. Unless he was ready to retire there is almost a 0% chance he would walk away from those millions. Saquon Barkley was not happy with the Giants contract last year but in an interview last week he said there is no way he was going to sit out and walkaway from $10 million dollars. That would be crazy. A few things to keep in mind.

1. Trouba most likely will never make this kind of money again.

2. His wife is unlikely to ever make this kind of money.

3. Half the season is on the road anyway.

4. I assume a well qualified doctor would be in demand in any city.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Jacob Trouba's first child was born in January, and in all likelihood, his wife dictated the contract with her plans (maybe, indirectly, he was "supposed" to be at a new low last year... maybe hockey was secondary... they do that... I happen to be cold as ice--life with a disability does that... but I get why he would block a trade to Detroit. Hell be back... hopefully scratched regularly.
Oh great that means he’s gonna be even shittier than ever this season

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
He’ll be a NY Ranger for the 2024-2025 season. Traded summer 2025

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Trouba is here for the season. If they were going to trade him they woulda done it by now. Some of you need to come to grips with that fact lol
Indeed. Hospital residencies end in the summer June/July so don't expect anything before then either. If some world crisis delays that residency from completing, it'll have to be a 2025 buyout because the Trouba's will do what they can to stay in New York to finish that mfer

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Buyout is still an option right(Trouba)? Isn't there an additional buyout period coming shortly?
After Lindgren signs, another buyout window will open up, but I doubt we'll use it to buy out Trouba. There was probably a plan to replace him earlier in the offseason, but I imagine that plan is no longer viable.

More likely, we'll keep Trouba for this year and then re-evaluate the situation next summer.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
After Lindgren signs, another buyout window will open up, but I doubt we'll use it to buy out Trouba. There was probably a plan to replace him earlier in the offseason, but I imagine that plan is no longer viable.

More likely, we'll keep Trouba for this year and then re-evaluate the situation next summer.
I think they'll explore options come TDL.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Buyout is still an option right(Trouba)? Isn't there an additional buyout period coming shortly?
If they buyout Trouba with no real moves to make now that the off-season is basically done, it'll be beyond stupid. Currently, NYR have deadline cash should they need it. Addition by subtraction is probably not worth the buyout.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Well there is no way that Trouba is going to score a contract anywhere near to the one he got with us. I wouldn't say he can't rebound a bit. I'd expect that actually if his ankle is better. At peak he's maybe $5.5 mil per but with more age that will lessen even more. His next contract will be for much less. That's not even controversial that's reality.....and I'd expect he realizes that as well. He'll get less term and might not even get half the cap $'s.

Do not think the Rangers are going to try to trade him to teams not on his list. If his departure heads in that direction they'll do what they did with Goodrow.....or in other words there won't be a trade---he'll go on waivers and if no one picks him up they'll buy him out. That won't happen this season. They're too short on D. They might try to trade him in season or at the deadline....short of that though the potential buyout will happen next offseason if a trade hasn't been arranged by then.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I agree with you. Unless he was ready to retire there is almost a 0% chance he would walk away from those millions. Saquon Barkley was not happy with the Giants contract last year but in an interview last week he said there is no way he was going to sit out and walkaway from $10 million dollars. That would be crazy. A few things to keep in mind.

1. Trouba most likely will never make this kind of money again.

2. His wife is unlikely to ever make this kind of money.

3. Half the season is on the road anyway.

4. I assume a well qualified doctor would be in demand in any city.
4. Is only correct next season. As she’s not currently a “well qualified doctor” which is kinda the point of this discussion.

Also point 2 depends on what kind of doctor she is. Neurosurgeons will make serious money for a very long time compared to an nhl career, and would probably out earn him.
Family med tho? No.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
4. Is only correct next season. As she’s not currently a “well qualified doctor” which is kinda the point of this discussion.

Also point 2 depends on what kind of doctor she is. Neurosurgeons will make serious money for a very long time compared to an nhl career, and would probably out earn him.
Family med tho? No.
If we say she gets paid on the upper scale of 1m yearly salary, being a neurosurgeon, she'd have to work nearly 60 more years to out earn Trouba with just the neurosurgeon salary, not even counting whatever investments Trouba already earned money on, or what's left that he'll be paid on this contract. That's highly unlikely. Trouba's career earning is around 60m and counting.

Last edited:

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
If they buyout Trouba with no real moves to make now that the off-season is basically done, it'll be beyond stupid. Currently, NYR have deadline cash should they need it. Addition by subtraction is probably not worth the buyout.
Agree. Only makes sense if there’s another move on the table to replace Trouba. Which at this point could only be a trade. Seems far fetched.

savebyrichter94

Every Profound Spirit Needs A Mask
Sep 14, 2008
PA
They will in all likelihood avoid arbitration and agree to something ahead of the hearing so I would assume news is coming rather soon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad