Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
A few rumors out there involving CGY/NYR. Mackenzie Weegar and Kakko. Seems like mostly from blogs but there a few places with it. Not sure if it was mentioned here yet.

While I think Weegar would be a good add, can he play the left side? He's listed as a right handed shot. With Fox, Schneider and (unfortunately) Trouba, there isn't any room on the right. Then there is trading Kakko who plays a position the Rangers are hurting depth wise to add to a position that isn't.

If he was naturally a LD that's a different story.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
A few rumors out there involving CGY/NYR. Mackenzie Weegar and Kakko. Seems like mostly from blogs but there a few places with it. Not sure if it was mentioned here yet.

That’s interesting, I mean a lot of cap space coming in and not a lot going out and we need to sign players this next offseason in laffy miller and shesty

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
It was a really good year but then the end was disappointing....almost depressingly so if you don't have decent coping strategies anyway.

......and so people now are cycling all kinds of worst case scenarios in part because nothing is going on because July's are dead and at least for me the negativity can get old particularly because people borrow a lot of these scenarios from each other after which they become narratives (whether there's much too them or not) that take on lives of their own. I guess it's a way of keeping a conversation going.
This has been a thing since the letter went out, so no it’s not made up. The argument was you needed to find out what you have by at least trying to develop these kids into the role they were projected for. Instead of powerplay time and actual development coaches, we have them 3/4th line with balloon boy David Quinn, and accelerating the “rebuild” with trash like Trouba and co (which we now know was bs, it was a retool). Sorry they crushed half of these kids chances before they ever got a real chance. Then to avoid cognitive dissonance some of the asshats here would say “good riddance” lmao.

And then I see people already including Othmann in every trade proposal or saying that he'll only be a 3rd/4th liner before he ever even sniffs a chance. Maybe if the organization didn't suffer from generational nepotism, they would actually try to develop projected top 6 forwards in, I don't know, top 6 spots??? God knows that playing them as 3rd/4th liners and crying when they develop as 3rd/4th liners has worked out for us so well. The idiots in the organization will scream URN IT, meanwhile look at the bullshit that goes on with the top 6 and the bffs and all that trash.

The organizational failure from the top level down when it comes to accountability can not be overstated. These kids they draft see the country club bullshit that goes on and say peace and then people here have the gall to spit on them when they leave and say they were always trash blah blah blah. Add another one to the wood pile I guess. The Rangers just have really really really really bad luck I guess. Please spare me. There is something deeply wrong in this organizations ability to develop top 6 forwards. Sorry if that offends you.

If you have any memory or have been present on this board since 2017 (which I would expect given the date you joined), this conversation has been ongoing since the letter went out pal. So you can tell yourself whatever you want but there have been many posters talking about this. Take your freudian bullshit and shove it.

Last edited:

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
You mean an illness?

I get the concerns here, but lets not re-write what actually happened.
Was it an illness ? Seemed pretty shady about actually saying what it was. Maybe who knows, all these organizations are shady as shit when it comes to that

What’s the likelihood any player will play 82 games next year?
Whatever it is, chytil has a much less likely chance, and that’s something you can’t disagree on

Reactions: Profet

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
People are down on Robertson but I still believe he will be an nhl player. I look at Schneider when he spent time in Hartford and he looked mediocre there too but looked like a different player when he stepped up to the Rangers, and imo it comes down with playing with good forwards you can make an easy exit to. I hope he gets a stretch to see what he can do, a game or two isn't good enough I wanna see a couple weeks of play, maybe a call up, practice for a week or two as 7d and then a stretch to see if he can get comfortable.

Garand is in the minors too

Robertson has to go on waivers to be sent down. Will the Rangers have him as a 7th dman? I think he should get a look based on that alone. It’s not like he is a 29 year old vet. Let him force his way out of the lineup. He was a 2ed round pick so Im sure some desperate team lacking defensive depth would claim him. Sharks Bluejackets maybe. Im not down on him, but the fact is the Rangers rather go with Harpur or Mackey or other AHL vets over Robertson the past dew seasons, to me that is very very telling. The fact is he has not gotten called up until this year I believe. The fact they never played him is another bad sign.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
This has been a thing since the letter went out, so no it’s not made up. The argument was you needed to find out what you have by at least trying to develop these kids into the role they were projected for. Instead of powerplay time and actual development coaches, we have them 3/4th line with balloon boy David Quinn, and accelerating the “rebuild” with trash like Trouba and co (which we now know was bs, it was a retool). Sorry they crushed half of these kids chances before they ever got a real chance. Then to avoid cognitive dissonance some of the asshats here would say “good riddance” lmao.

And then I see people already including Othmann in every trade proposal or saying that he'll only be a 3rd/4th liner before he ever even sniffs a chance. Maybe if the organization didn't suffer from generational nepotism, they would actually try to develop projected top 6 forwards in, I don't know, top 6 spots??? God knows that playing them as 3rd/4th liners and crying when they develop as 3rd/4th liners has worked out for us so well. The idiots in the organization will scream URN IT, meanwhile look at the bullshit that goes on with the top 6 and the bffs and all that trash.

The organizational failure from the top level down when it comes to accountability can not be overstated. These kids they draft see the country club bullshit that goes on and say peace and then people here have the gall to spit on them when they leave and say they were always trash blah blah blah. Add another one to the wood pile I guess. The Rangers just have really really really really bad luck I guess. Please spare me. There is something deeply wrong in this organizations ability to develop top 6 forwards. Sorry if that offends you.

If you have any memory or have been present on this board since 2017 (which I would expect given the date you joined), this conversation has been ongoing since the letter went out pal. So you can tell yourself whatever you want but there have been many posters talking about this. Take your freudian bullshit and shove it.
What they do is even more egregious than what you are saying. It’s one thing to not want to develop Othmann at the NHL level since he currently sucks ass in the AHL and is actually blocked by players better than him. It’s another thing to not promote players with legit track records who are beyond ready to step in for bad vets and help the team win the cup (Lafreniere until this year, Jones every year). They can’t get over this mental obstacle where they don’t believe young players can step in and immediately be better than shit vets.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Touchy touchy.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Maybe Calgary isn't on Trouba's list.

Muhahahahahahahahahhahaha
Doubt that haha. They have $20M in cap space and I’m sure he blocked every team with space and in Canada. Lol

You’re not wrong about the Rangers inability to develop top 6 forwards. They have been correctly criticized by many for that. But they are not the only team dealing with this. They also have Panarin Zibanejad Trocheck (now) and Kreider in the top 6, so there isn’t really a lot of room to throw rookies in there.

Othmann should come up on the 3rd line when he’s ready. He’s not a superstar prospect who needs immediate Pp time etc.

Perreault should step right into a top 6 role, likely replacing Smith. Let’s see if they handle it correctly.

Don’t be so negative. If it makes you feel that way, step away from the sport for the summer and recharge your batteries

Reactions: Kravtsov420

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
while Weegar would be a nice useful add presuming he is not about to age and fall over the cliff
imo
stop dealing youth for vets
stop win now bs
remember
Panarin gone w/in 2 yrs if not before
maybe zib also?
We NEED to keep + max success of KK

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What they do is even more egregious than what you are saying. It’s one thing to not want to develop Othmann at the NHL level since he currently sucks ass in the AHL and is actually blocked by players better than him. It’s another thing to not promote players with legit track records who are beyond ready to step in for bad vets and help the team win the cup (Lafreniere until this year, Jones every year). They can’t get over this mental obstacle where they don’t believe young players can step in and immediately be better than shit vets.
Damn it to fuggin hell, they will.
They will learn to listen to bern on this
they will bend, buckle and break
or suffer the consequences
with more of the same negative results

What I am hearing btw is Oth is ready enuf on offense but not close on def

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The feeling after the playoffs was they need to make a major change. So far the changes made have been around the edges. Reilly in for Goodrow. Jones in for Gustafsson. I know there was a lot of noise about Trouba and Lindgren, but it sounds like both will be back. Zero noise about Panarin or Zibanejad.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Tbh all it took was 5 minutes on Cap Friendly (RIP) to know that major changes weren’t really feasible.

I don’t expect them to do the right thing, but the most major net positive change they can make is still on the table (getting rid of Lindgren) so I guess there’s that.

Reactions: Crease

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
The feeling after the playoffs was they need to make a major change. So far the changes made have been around the edges. Reilly in for Goodrow. Jones in for Gustafsson. I know there was a lot of noise about Trouba and Lindgren, but it sounds like both will be back. Zero noise about Panarin or Zibanejad.
I don't believe the feeling has changed......but that will require waiving by the NMC holders. As we can see, that ain't happening.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The Rangers made unforced errors with Trouba. Limited NTC and couldn’t get it done. I know Zibanejad and Panarin have NMCs. I would have at least liked to have seen some pressure put on them to waive. A public show of disapproval of their playoff perimeter bs. I’m still holding out hope they move Lindgren. Love the guy but he is Girardi 2.0 it is so obvious.

Last edited:

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
The Rangers made unforced errors with Trouba. Limited NTC and couldn’t get it done. I know Zibanejad and Panarin have NMCs. I would have at least liked to have seen some pressure put on them to waive. A public show of disapproval of their playoff perimeter bs. I’m still holding out hope they move Lindgren. Love the guy but he is Girardi 2.0 it is so obvious.
While everyone is anxious to see Lindgen moved, I don't see that he has much value at this time. I think it's possible he's moved at the deadline if he shows he's still serviceable (provided also his upcoming contract is reasonable). As for the NMCers, I think moving them would mean closing "the window" and doing a fairly big "retool" (which I'm not against).

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Maybe a second unit can’t go 25%, but if it can go 18-20 when the 1st inevitably, it seems, goes ice cold we are still ahead of the game. It requires regular season investment though, even if it costs s a little regular season ground.
Starting with Isles at 20.3% there were 14 teams that were under this percentage. Asking your second unit to be that is unrealistic.

(Just as unrealistic as saying keep Zibanejad - Kreider as a PK unit but somehow also cut their PK time by 3 min - math does not work).

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Out - Goodrow, Pitlick, Wheeler, Gus, Bonino/Wennberg/Roslovic. In - Smith, Jones, a healthy Chytil(hopefully), Carrick, 2 of Rempe/Edstrom/Berard/Othmann. That's still a decent turnover from last year and it's only July 12th so maybe something else still happens.
At least it shows that the team is still on the upswing while a lot of teams in this contender window are just trying to stay level or at least not decline by much while going for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad