Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
This prospect pool is better than most people think. Some will make the team and some will be used to replenish those 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounders that people are crying Drury has traded. 4 of the top 6 guys are likely here for 3+ years IMO. Mika, Kreider, Trocheck, Laf all not going anywhere. Panarin may be gone in 2 years. Then they have 11.6 million more to work with and Perreault ready for the big club. I'm really not worried about this team remaining very competitive moving forward.
We have a lot of depth but lack any high end talent. Perreault is trending as a guy that could put up some numbers but he isn't a play driver by any means. Great player but lets see him without Will Smith attached to his hip.
Hard pass. There are some flaws you simply can’t help a kid overcome. Being an entitled dick is one of them.
He probably needs a half season in the AHL but I don't blame him for wanting a clear path to the NHL if those reports are true. You would think Kyle Connor, former UM guy, would be in his ear. Every NCAA kid gets labeled entitled nowadays.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
We have a lot of depth but lack any high end talent. Perreault is trending as a guy that could put up some numbers but he isn't a play driver by any means. Great player but lets see him without Will Smith attached to his hip.

He probably needs a half season in the AHL but I don't blame him for wanting a clear path to the NHL if those reports are true. You would think Kyle Connor, former UM guy, would be in his ear. Every NCAA kid gets labeled entitled nowadays.

Perreault and Leonard did most of the heavy lifting on that line last year.

If there is anyone who didn't drive play, it was Smith.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Mesar another Bobrov masterclass it appears
I love draft picks and prospects but having too many draft picks and prospects can be a problem. Montreal has too many picks and prospects. There isn't enough room for all of them. Players are impatient. The Habs have established players on their roster. Players lose their waiver eligibility after 3 years pro. I like keeping the first round picks and using 2nd/3rd round picks to fill holes on the team like the Avs did with Toews and Burakovsky. There are so many 2nd and 3rd round picks which barely sniff the NHL.

I wouldn't either if I knew I had to live in Winnipeg for the next 10 years of my life :laugh:
It's only 5 or 6 years. Trouba forced his way to NY after 6 years.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I love draft picks and prospects but having too many draft picks and prospects can be a problem. Montreal has too many picks and prospects. There isn't enough room for all of them. Players are impatient. The Habs have established players on their roster. Players lose their waiver eligibility after 3 years pro. I like keeping the first round picks and using 2nd/3rd round picks to fill holes on the team like the Avs did with Toews and Burakovsky. There are so many 2nd and 3rd round picks which barely sniff the NHL.

It's only 5 or 6 years. Trouba forced his way to NY after 6 years.
Prison sentence. Smart man to force his way out before it starts.

I disagree. The way he moves the puck around that absolutely drives the offense. He doesn't just find his points by being open.

Reactions: UnSandvich

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I watched almost every BC game last year and I would say it is virtually impossible to seriously classify any one of the 3 freshmen as a play driver vs a passenger. Their chemistry was incredible, like watching Sedin triplets at times.

This year will definitely be a good test for GP with different linemates, I do agree on that.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I watched almost every BC game last year and I would say it is virtually impossible to seriously classify any one of the 3 freshmen as a play driver vs a passenger. Their chemistry was incredible, like watching Sedin triplets at times.

This year will definitely be a good test for GP with different linemates, I do agree on that.
He'll be with Leonard again.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
When you wake up?

Look--Othmann has a shot at making the team next year. It's not guaranteed and shouldn't be either. FWIW he had more power play points in Hartford last year than even strength points and he's not ready at all to beat out our more productive forwards for top 6 ice time. If he does make it a lot will depend on his being able to play a responsible game and also to chip in goals/assists and I don't expect he'll get a lot of power play time. As with any player Othmann will play a major part in his own development by being coachable and working to make stronger areas he's weaker at .
I get it, but you can’t exactly blame me for having premonitions based on this franchise’s ability to develop forwards.

Save for the miracle of Laf (ha who knew playing him with good players would make a difference), it’s been pretty bleak. I don’t buy the bad luck bs with the draft picks. Okay maybe one, but when three and almost a 4th look to fail, it speaks more to an organizational fault than blaming these kids.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
McGroarty sounds like a problem

Mesar sounds like a problem too. The 2025 pick is a 1st round pick from the Monahan trade in 2022.

The Rangers aren't only team which has issues with their young players. They have no patience. They don't like the AHL. They want a full-time NHL job from day one.

Yea I get it but the Rangers are at the other extreme end of the spectrum, it’s year 5 and Laf can’t sniff the powerplay because Zibumeisbad has to play with his bffs on the PP. Organizational nepotism.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Perreault and Leonard did most of the heavy lifting on that line last year.

If there is anyone who didn't drive play, it was Smith.

Smith was very much the glue that held them together. Been that way for 3 years. Perreault is the skill/finesse, Leonard was the heavy puck retrieval power forward, Smith was the mix of both

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Smith was very much the glue that held them together. Been that way for 3 years. Perreault is the skill/finesse, Leonard was the heavy puck retrieval power forward, Smith was the mix of both

Don't really agree with that. The "glue that held them together" was quite frequently cheating up ice looking for a spring pass in the neutral zone while his 4 teammates were playing defense.

*at least one different linemate...lol. I do think just breaking up the 3 man unit will necessitate adjustments and force everyone to adapt.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Perreault and Leonard may be losing Smith but will be getting the front runner for 1OA next year lol. Poor them hahaha.

There is something to be said for having 3 years of chemistry (and its a combo that worked from day 1 and carried over) but I think they'll figure it out just fine with Hagens. Smart players do and all 3 of them fit the bill.

Leonard actually carried a good bit of the load in transition and Gabe was the guy who was usually in the corners first for recoveries when they dumped it in.

It's one of the most common misconceptions of that trio. Smith lagged behind both in those areas and was very much the beneficiary of having loads of space to do things due to the work of his line mates. When he didn't have space, he struggled.

If there was a main driver on that line, it was Leonard.

Reactions: UnSandvich

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Great... I'd like to see a cup win. Every other team improved. Rangers are running it back with a worse team.

That's what it means.

You say they will be "better and deeper" but that's some hopes and prayers stuff right there.

They have less depth, and the already aging core is another year older.

Not really sure how you can really argue that they are deeper.

They basically swapped Roslovic for Smith and Gus for Jones.

The defense outside of Fox is somewhere between hohum and bad. They did nothing to address this.
Their center depth is relying Chytil to stay healthy. Something that he isn't known for.

I'm all for optimism. But let's keep it grounded in reality.
Yea, lets keep it grounded in reality shall we. This team is absolutely in a better position than the one that started last year. I already mentioned the crap they had on the roster and the injuries and they managed 114 point regular season and one of 4 teams left. Less depth my ass. They will likely have a better Kakko. Chytil should play more than 10 games. Smith is better than Roslovic. Cuylle has a year in the league. Rempe, Edstrom, Berard, Othmann, Carrick, Vesey, is a better collection than the washed up versions of Wheeler, Pitlick, and Bonino. The defense remains the same for now but that could change. Trouba should be playing 3rd line minutes and not 22 minutes a game like last year. I also like Jones. It's also early and they may be able to still swing a deal. Regardless this team should be better overall than last year and the east isn't exactly a guantlet in case you haven't noticed. Carolina and Florida may not be as strong and nobody else scares me. Stop acting like they are coming off of a 70 point season.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Really sucks losing CapFriendly. Anyone know if theres an alternative, or maybe another site that calculates Cap Situations for NHL clubs?

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
I also see the uncomfortable conversation that a lot of people here have not brought up.

Chytil is not a viable option to be 3C, or really anything else on the roster anymore. We’re just going to hold our heads down and pray that he magically recovers from the concussion issue? If this guy gets one more he’s cooked. Even if he doesn’t, he might be cooked. I think that’s a clear spot where we should upgrade. But that’s a conversation people seem to ignore.

I don’t see anything in the recent past and especially post concussions that would point to Chytil having a “breakout” or even being a regular in the lineup. I’m not really sure where the optimism is coming from.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I also see the uncomfortable conversation that a lot of people here have not brought up.

Chytil is not a viable option to be 3C, or really anything else on the roster anymore. We’re just going to hold our heads down and pray that he magically recovers from the concussion issue? If this guy gets one more he’s cooked. Even if he doesn’t, he might be cooked. I think that’s a clear spot where we should upgrade. But that’s a conversation people seem to ignore.

I don’t see anything in the recent past and especially post concussions that would point to Chytil having a “breakout” or even being a regular in the lineup. I’m not really sure where the optimism is coming from.
Dramatic post.

The team cleared him for playoff hockey. He played. Could he get hurt again? Sure. But he’s clearly back.

That being said, I’m sure they have a contingency plan

Reactions: tiggles

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Yea, lets keep it grounded in reality shall we. This team is absolutely in a better position than the one that started last year. I already mentioned the crap they had on the roster and the injuries and they managed 114 point regular season and one of 4 teams left. Less depth my ass. They will likely have a better Kakko. Chytil should play more than 10 games. Smith is better than Roslovic. Cuylle has a year in the league. Rempe, Edstrom, Berard, Othmann, Carrick, Vesey, is a better collection than the washed up versions of Wheeler, Pitlick, and Bonino. The defense remains the same for now but that could change. Trouba should be playing 3rd line minutes and not 22 minutes a game like last year. I also like Jones. It's also early and they may be able to still swing a deal. Regardless this team should be better overall than last year and the east isn't exactly a guantlet in case you haven't noticed. Carolina and Florida may not be as strong and nobody else scares me. Stop acting like they are coming off of a 70 point season.

They will likely have a better Kakko.
Why is that "likely?" Again... hopes and prayers.

Chytil should play more than 10 games.
One would hope. But he often misses a significant amount of regular season games. His injury last season wasn't a fluke. It's a pattern of injuries.

Rempe, Edstrom, Berard, Othmann, Carrick, Vesey, is a better collection than the washed up versions of Wheeler, Pitlick, and Bonino.
Othmann and Berard without PP time and being relied on as two way players? eh... We'll see. This is in no way factual. You're hoping for this to be the case. I think Wennberg fit that role better than anyone you mentioned. So I see that as a downgrade.

The defense remains the same for now but that could change.
Hope it changes.

Trouba should be playing 3rd line minutes and not 22 minutes a game like last year.
Lavi played him with heavy minutes last year... why does everyone think that will suddenly change? Because of some trade rumors in the offseason? Lindgren will be with Fox, and Trouba will play first pair (5v5) minutes. With Fox getting all the PP time. You hope that changes... but I don't see it changing unless there are more roster moves.

It's also early and they may be able to still swing a deal.
may/hope

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

Chytil might be a question mark, but in the list of question marks for this team he's way down the list when it comes to importance.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Dramatic post.

The team cleared him for playoff hockey. He played. Could he get hurt again? Sure. But he’s clearly back.

That being said, I’m sure they have a contingency plan
Not really dramatic, more like realistic. Likelihood he’ll be a ranger in the next year? There’s a question mark there

Chytil might be a question mark, but in the list of question marks for this team he's way down the list when it comes to importance.
No I know I’m not saying he’s at the top but I just rarely see it get brought up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad