Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He left $$ on the table with the Islanders reportedly at 13 per.
Does that matter if he's paid more than he is worth? He could have left money on the table and still be overpaid.

Remember that we originally offered him about 11 mil, and it was only after Spooner was bought out by Vancouver, giving us an extra 600k in cap space which we added to the offer to Panarin, that he signed.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Does that matter if he's paid more than he is worth? He could have left money on the table and still be overpaid.

Remember that we originally offered him about 11 mil, and it was only after Spooner was bought out by Vancouver, giving us an extra 600k in cap space which we added to the offer to Panarin, that he signed.

The market determines if he is overpaid or not.

The market had bidders, more than one other party, willing to pay the man mote than what he signed for in NY.

The market CLEARLY established tjat him signing for 11.6 was in fact a discount and what he has done in 5 years here I'd argue from a production perspective, is unrivaled for the NYR's

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Rempe just needs maturing, and that comes with actual games. He needs to keep his skating speed up to his growing body, that's it. For me, he was already an effective 4th liner.
He was. He can skate and does have some skill and seems willing to put the work in to get better. There is going to be competition for that 4th line spot though. It will be an interesting camp.

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
Rempe should probably be working on, ya know, being an NHL player and the skills associated with that

As opposed to fighting

But at least he’s self aware that he’s a sideshow.
It's been established he is our enforcer. Looks like he wants to take it to another level. Not a problem with me.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

The Rangers didn't offer him 11.6 when everybody else was offering 9. There were other teams willing to pay more. The FA market can be crazy. Just look at the contracts that were just dished out a week ago.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I actually like the improvements the Rangers made. They avoided any ridiculous deals in FA for subpar talent. Smith 1x3.75 is good. He’s a gamer. Should put up around 50 points and perform well in the playoffs. He’s not afraid to get to the middle. Carrick is a solid 4th liner on a cheap deal. Like that move as well.

I’m in the camp of not wanting to move Trouba yet. I may be alone in that. But I think he brings a lot of things that no one else brings on this roster when he’s on his game. Problem is he wasn’t on his game. I wanted to move him next offseason out of necessity. I think he had a really tough year, with the ankle injury and just performance wise it wasn’t up to the par. He’s not going to come in and sulk, he’ll be ready to go and have a chip on his shoulder. I expect him to have a much better season next year.

I’m excited to see Chytil, Kakko, Schneider, and Miller take another step. Laf too. Chytil Kakko and Cuylle/Othmann/Berard should be fun to watch.

I’ve maintained that if the Rangers are going to get over the hump, it’s going to mostly come from within. The players they have are the horses, and we can debate all we want whether guys like Zibanejad, Kreider, or Panarin will get it done but the fact is we don’t know. You see it all the time where guys step up in their careers. We saw it with Panarin, Trocheck, and Laf last year. Who’s to say Mika doesn’t come in like gangbusters after a subpar year? Bottom line is the team is close and if they commit themselves, they can win the Cup. Will they? I don’t know. But it’ll have to be those guys who commit to taking the next steps in their careers for this team to win. And that next step is getting it done in June.

The one area I’d like to see some roster improvement is an upgrade over Lindgren. The D looks way different if he’s upgraded to a legit 1B or 2A guy to pair with Fox and Jones is playing with Trouba on the 3rd pair. Let’s see if Drury can get that done. Running it back with him will hold the team back way more than the F group, which I think is already way better than last season. Love the guy, but he gets hurt way too much and doesn’t really provide enough to stay on the top pair. If he takes a 4-5 year deal at $3-3.5M then you’re committing to him as a 3rd pairing guy over the course of that contract without a top guy to play with Fox. It’s tough but I think worst case he gets a 1 year deal that walks him to FA

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I actually like the improvements the Rangers made. They avoided any ridiculous deals in FA for subpar talent. Smith 1x3.75 is good. He’s a gamer. Should put up around 50 points and perform well in the playoffs. He’s not afraid to get to the middle. Carrick is a solid 4th liner on a cheap deal. Like that move as well.

I’m in the camp of not wanting to move Trouba yet. I may be alone in that. But I think he brings a lot of things that no one else brings on this roster when he’s on his game. Problem is he wasn’t on his game. I wanted to move him next offseason out of necessity. I think he had a really tough year, with the ankle injury and just performance wise it wasn’t up to the par. He’s not going to come in and sulk, he’ll be ready to go and have a chip on his shoulder. I expect him to have a much better season next year.

I’m excited to see Chytil, Kakko, Schneider, and Miller take another step. Laf too. Chytil Kakko and Cuylle/Othmann/Berard should be fun to watch.

I’ve maintained that if the Rangers are going to get over the hump, it’s going to mostly come from within. The players they have are the horses, and we can debate all we want whether guys like Zibanejad, Kreider, or Panarin will get it done but the fact is we don’t know. You see it all the time where guys step up in their careers. We saw it with Panarin, Trocheck, and Laf last year. Who’s to say Mika doesn’t come in like gangbusters after a subpar year? Bottom line is the team is close and if they commit themselves, they can win the Cup. Will they? I don’t know. But it’ll have to be those guys who commit to taking the next steps in their careers for this team to win. And that next step is getting it done in June.

The one area I’d like to see some roster improvement is an upgrade over Lindgren. The D looks way different if he’s upgraded to a legit 1B or 2A guy to pair with Fox and Jones is playing with Trouba on the 3rd pair. Let’s see if Drury can get that done. Running it back with him will hold the team back way more than the F group, which I think is already way better than last season. Love the guy, but he gets hurt way too much and doesn’t really provide enough to stay on the top pair. If he takes a 4-5 year deal at $3-3.5M then you’re committing to him as a 3rd pairing guy over the course of that contract without a top guy to play with Fox. It’s tough but I think worst case he gets a 1 year deal that walks him to FA
ultimately i agree with a lot of this.

the biggest issue on the team is Lindgren and the 1LD spot.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
He’s not overpaid based on his regular season. He is overpaid for how he dominates in the playoffs.
He scored 15 points in 16 playoff games and was fine against Washington and Carolina. Florida was determined to shut him down and they did as he was smothered every time he got the puck and Laf and Trocheck seemed to have more open space. Florida also shut down other very good players like Pasternak and Draisaitl. Kucherov also had zero goals against them.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
He scored 15 points in 16 playoff games and was fine against Washington and Carolina. Florida was determined to shut him down and they did as he was smothered every time he got the puck and Laf and Trocheck seemed to have more open space. Florida also shut down other very good players like Pasternak and Draisaitl. Kucherov also had zero goals against them.

I was talking about his playoff overall. His numbers are not great. He needs to dominate games, he does in the regular season. He’s known as a playoff ghost for a reason.

Reactions: leetch99

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Rempe should probably be working on, ya know, being an NHL player and the skills associated with that

As opposed to fighting

But at least he’s self aware that he’s a sideshow.
It's impossible that he's also working on other skills or for two things to occur over any period of time, you're right. Can't imagine he would play into being a tough guy on hyper-curated content-pushing social media of all places.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Pasternak and Kucherov drew Barkov. Panarin didn't.

Draisaitl played with broken ribs and a broken hand (finger? I forget.)

Panarin was healthy and grossly outplayed by his linemates and it wasn't because he was smothered and opened up space for the other 2. It was because they were willing to go to areas that he wasn't and in lafs case, able to make things happen by himself.

If 15 in 16 is the best we can expect out of a guy who just had a 120 point season, the money was poorly spent. He's been one of the worst playoff performers ever as a Ranger. The only difference between this year and 2022 was that he had a great series against Carolina. Aside from that it was the same underwhelming act that we saw 2 years ago. Better than last year's shit show, but not enough from a guy who makes 11.6.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The market determines if he is overpaid or not.

The market had bidders, more than one other party, willing to pay the man mote than what he signed for in NY.

The market CLEARLY established tjat him signing for 11.6 was in fact a discount and what he has done in 5 years here I'd argue from a production perspective, is unrivaled for the NYR's
So 95% didnt offer him a 13M contract. Seems like isles tried over overpay him, rangers also overpaid for him since most of league wasnt offering him almsot 12M.

He was overpaid. Almost 15% of our cap at the time. Crazy some doesn’t think he was overpaid. Who cares it someone tried to pay more, all they did was try to overpay him even more.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It's impossible that he's also working on other skills or for two things to occur over any period of time, you're right. Can't imagine he would play into being a tough guy on hyper-curated content-pushing social media of all places.
Obviously

It’s just laughable irregardless. Who the f*** works on fighting?

Like I said, I give him credit. He’s clearly bought into the idea that he’s a sideshow, which good for him.

He’s not an NHL player, but at least he’ll have some social media buzz.

Reactions: tiggles

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Any contract that brings in a UFA for just cash is going to be an overpayment because the other option is to trade for one, unless you are fortunate enough to draft one.

Imagine trading for Panarin, say it is a 1st + top prospect + very good prospect and getting him for 7 years @ $10m or, just signing him for 7 years @ $11.6m.

The overall cost to the organization is less if they just acquire him via UFA.,

Oh and Panarin has been one of the teams BEST UFA signings ever.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I’ll just go ahead and argue that your highest paid player should never be a goalie or a winger. Winger is probably the least important position.

Ovechkin is the best goal scorer of all time. The Caps won the Cup once in his career. Panarin isn’t prime Ovechkin.

When people say Panarin is overpaid (I am one of them) I think that’s what they mean. He is an elite regular season point scorer. He’s horrific defensively and can’t produce in the playoffs. He has the fourth highest cap hit in the league. There are way more than three players in the league that I’d rather have than him.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
I still don't understand why we haven't any of those 1 year, $900,000 type deals for depth. We don't have a 7D. We got a few guys in the top 6 that can be expected to miss games. Where's our depth and what are we waiting for? Every day I see a few of these types signing and we haven't done anything. This is the type of off season we expected last year but we found a way with the cheap contracts. Nothing this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad