Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The Rangers are stubborn too. Kreider and Zibanejad are stale. Time to break them up. The Stars had an issue with Seguin and Benn. Dallas broke them up. The Hintz line emerged as their top line. Benn was dropped to the "third line" with Johnston. Seguin was moved to the second line.

The Stars don't have a prototypical "third line". The Rangers don't have "third line" type of personnel. The Stars have lost in the WCF in back to back seasons. If the Stars had a "third line" shutdown line, maybe they would made the SCF in the last couple of seasons.

Break up Kreider and Zibanejad. Mix up Trocheck. Panarin, Lafreniere, Chytil, Smith, Kakko and Othmann/Cuylle.

Current line combos have allowed Mika/Panarin/Kreider to coast and rack up points on the PP. they’ve wilted 5v5 in 2 ECFs. Panarin is an elite player but Trocheck/Laf carried his ass all playoffs. He has a knack for clutch goals but he needs to get to a Kucherov level in the playoffs for Last minute goal in Game 6 was too perfect.

Kreider needs to be away from Mika and vice versa. Completely neutered playing their globetrotter shit with some bozo in the sidecar. Kreider needs to up the physicality and leadership for this team. He got embarrassed by Tkachuk. It’s on him that he’s not the captain of the team but it doesn’t mean more isn’t expected of him by the fanbase. He should be the next Messier, but he hasn’t been.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Not reading the last 5 pages of this abomination thread but you guys have inspired me to quickly construct my all time Rongos team:

Marcel Hossa - Olli Jokinen - Krav

Enver Lisin - Scott Gomez - Nigel Dawes

Tanner Glass - SC Champ Brett Howden - Sjostrom

Brendan Smith - Cory Locke - Aaron Voros

Roszival - Redden

Kotalik - Bickel

Staal - Girardi (2019)

Brendan Smith

Ah, shit I forgot Kotalik was a winger but I’m keeping this as is.
I know it's all juts a bit of fun, but it is so hard to pick the theme of this lineup, it feels so random.
Hossa but no Federov?
Dawes, a 5th rounder who almost made it, but no Lias Andersson?
Gomez but not his signing buddy Drury?
2 Brendan Smiths (although I guess we did both trade for him and then re-sign him for too much)?
Roszival seems very out of place.
Avery ended up going full Rongo, Kris Newbury was a thing for a little while, as was 'Wraparounds' Frolov. The whole Tim Erixon thing was pretty Rongo as well...

Reactions: Rongomania

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Current line combos have allowed Mika/Panarin/Kreider to coast and rack up points on the PP. they’ve wilted 5v5 in 2 ECFs. Panarin is an elite player but Trocheck/Laf carried his ass all playoffs. He has a knack for clutch goals but he needs to get to a Kucherov level in the playoffs for Last minute goal in Game 6 was too perfect.

Kreider needs to be away from Mika and vice versa. Completely neutered playing their globetrotter shit with some bozo in the sidecar. Kreider needs to up the physicality and leadership for this team. He got embarrassed by Tkachuk. It’s on him that he’s not the captain of the team but it doesn’t mean more isn’t expected of him by the fanbase. He should be the next Messier, but he hasn’t been.
I still maintain that every time Kakko and Kreider have played together (without Zibanejad), they have looked good. Not a large sample size though...

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
No one really runs a classic "shutdown line" anymore.

If anything, Dallas lost this year because they didn't get enough goals against the Oilers. I don't see how a shutdown line would have helped (they scored 4 in their final 3 games.)

Does that sound kind of familar? It should, because it's almost exactly what happened to the Rangers against Florida.

Agree with the rest of this though.
I would agree to switching guys around.....but can you imagine the sulking from these millionaire coddled babies like Kreider and Mika/Panarin and I have that feeling that Lafreniere will end up exactly the same way once he inks a new deal .

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
With the slavkofsky contract at 8 years $60 mill we all realize laffs agent is demanding 6 years $55.35 mill or he aint signing.

Its an easy convo for his agent.

Agent: We took a sweetheart deal at 2 X $2.325 we want to simply just make the same deal an inferior player in slavkofsky made over 8 years which brings us to 6 years $55.35 million ($9,225,000 cap hit).

Drury: no that cap hit is too high

Agent: Okay well if you dont want to sign we’ll go to arbitration and then be 1 year away from UFA after the one year arb case settles. Your call, you couldve signed laff for 8 years like every other #1 overall pick does after their ELC and had him at a $7.5 cap hit.

Drury: alright, damn you have a point here. 6 X $9,225,000 it is.
Slafkofsky, assuming your numbers are correct, 8 years at 60m, has an AAV of 7.5mil. Not 9.225mil. I’m think most people are willing to go higher than 8AAV on Laf at 6 years. Plus that was NOT a sweetheart deal he took last, it was commensurate with what he had achieved to that point. It was him betting on himself, and the payoff will likely be north of 8mil per.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I would agree to switching guys around.....but can you imagine the sulking from these millionaire coddled babies like Kreider and Mika/Panarin and I have that feeling that Lafreniere will end up exactly the same way once he inks a new deal .

If they don't like it, they're welcome to ask for a trade to a different team.

Honestly as long as they get their ice I don't think that they'll be as butt hurt about who they play with or don't play with.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

Penguins downfall is great. They refuse to move on.
Are you suggesting the Pens should've done to Crosby what Tampa just did to Stamkos? Lol, let the GOAT of his generation be the one club man 'till the bitter end. They got 3 champions out of it too, not too bad.

My hats off to Crosby. Always massive respect for any player in any team sport, who stays as a one club man.

Sigh, Lundqvist should've been one as well, though he didn't play with Washington but still...

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

I am friends with far too many Pens fans and man, I am jealous of their optimism. I think they know deep down that this is all going to end up being very counterproductive but for how they are super excited about every move that Dubas makes. They expect it all to work out.

You know. Because for them it usually does.

Jealous.

Reactions: RGY

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Shit, call 'em and see if they'll take Trouba if the Pens are not on his list. Can't hurt. UPMC is a great hospital IIRC.
How does this stuff work in the US anyways, you get licenced in one state, can you work in all 50?

Reactions: leetch99

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The cap is poised to explode...
This sentence made me laugh knowing this is the NHL. Conjured this image...

df56f198-98e4-41f4-b530-5cd000f5e062_text.gif

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

I am friends with far too many Pens fans and man, I am jealous of their optimism. I think they know deep down that this is all going to end up being very counterproductive but they are super excited about every move that Dubas makes. They expect it all to work out.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I know it's all juts a bit of fun, but it is so hard to pick the theme of this lineup, it feels so random.
Hossa but no Federov?
Dawes, a 5th rounder who almost made it, but no Lias Andersson?
Gomez but not his signing buddy Drury?
2 Brendan Smiths (although I guess we did both trade for him and then re-sign him for too much)?
Roszival seems very out of place.
Avery ended up going full Rongo, Kris Newbury was a thing for a little while, as was 'Wraparounds' Frolov. The whole Tim Erixon thing was pretty Rongo as well...

Really great notes. It was concocted more ‘on the fly’.

Add:
Matt Gilroy in Roszy out.
Tim Erixon in Kotalik out.
Andersson in Howdy out.
Gauthier/Frolov in Dawes out.

*Drury is GM, David Quinn HC.

And Brendan smith is double shifting as a fourth line forward and 7D, obvi.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mike14

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Shesty is the best goalie in the league... but don't fool yourself. Hellebuyck, Sorokin and Saros are absolutely "in his league".

The difference between Shesterkin as the best goalie in the league, and whoever you have as the 2nd best goalie in the league is MUCH smaller than between McDavid and MacKinnon as the best skater in the league.
Fair point about goalies. They’re *all* ultra talented. The difference is always the mental part. That said, Igor seems to have the mental part too.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He much is Crosby getting? Is that reported yet? Curious to know if he’s taking less for the cap space.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Slafkofsky, assuming your numbers are correct, 8 years at 60m, has an AAV of 7.5mil. Not 9.225mil. I’m think most people are willing to go higher than 8AAV on Laf at 6 years. Plus that was NOT a sweetheart deal he took last, it was commensurate with what he had achieved to that point. It was him betting on himself, and the payoff will likely be north of 8mil per.
Laff is on 2 X $2.325 right now. So to get that equivalent off his elc, hed need 6 (max years he’ll sign for) X $9.225. $9.225 X 6 + 2 X $2.235 = $60mm.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I am friends with far too many Pens fans and man, I am jealous of their optimism. I think they know deep down that this is all going to end up being very counterproductive but for how they are super excited about every move that Dubas makes. They expect it all to work out.

Jealous.
That team is pretty much done and didn't make the playoffs the last 2 years. Malkin, Crosby, Letang, and Karlsson are all in their mid/late 30's also. Not jealous.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Are you suggesting the Pens should've done to Crosby what Tampa just did to Stamkos? Lol, let the GOAT of his generation be the one club man 'till the bitter end. They got 3 champions out of it too, not too bad.

My hats off to Crosby. Always massive respect for any player in any team sport, who stays as a one club man.

Sigh, Lundqvist should've been one as well, though he didn't play with Washington but still...
Not suggesting anything because this is Crosby’s decision. He is still a great productive player and he will squander the last few years of his career on a flailing over the hill mismanaged team. The one team legacy is great and all, but its a shame to see and this is coming from someone who cant stand Crosby.

Reactions: leetch99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad