Speculation: Which teams would realistically be able and willing to sign Draisaitl if he didn't sign in Edmonton?

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
All the dreaming from fans of teams that finished bottom of the standings last year is kind of funny.

If Draisaitl leaves, it will be for a team that he can win a cup with. He's not going to want to languish at the bottom of the standings while 18 year old prospects mature.

If by some vast misfortune for Edmonton he does hit UFA, there will be 20 teams lined up around the block with max value, max term contracts in their grubby little mitts and a willingness to do what they need to do in order to make it work.
We can all dream, but you have to admit that a top 3 player like Draisaitl can take a bottom of the standing team into a contender if it is well built with good veterans and elite young players

Reactions: HabsQC

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Care to explain how you simultaneously "cheap out" on goaltending and also get a "high end backup?"

These two things can't co-exist. If you want a high end back up to pair with your young prospect, it's going to cost money.
This offeason, high-end backups went for $2.5m cap hit.

Nedeljkovic. Stolarz.

Cossa = 1-ish
high-end backup = 2.5ish
total goalie cap = 3.5ish

$3.5m for 2 goalies is "cheaping out".

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Blackhawks will have the space. Whether Leon would sign is another question
I would imagine that if Draisaitl actually wants a change of scenery, he would prefer it to be somewhere where he can be the clear #1. And he would be that for the Blackhawks for the moment, but I would imagine the Hawks really want to give Bedard the keys to that org.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
This isn't a knock on the Oilers and just something I wonder about "logistically" when a player who potentially is this expensive comes up at this point.
Especially as I'm in general really bad at reading and understanding potential trades.

Undoubtedly every team would love to have a guy like him, but which team would within this timeline actually be well suited, without throwing other parts of the team into chaos, say by sacrificing their top defensive line? And also have the money, or ability to move players to get that money?
realistically, every team in the league could make it happen, though some would need to unload a contract or 2.
there is no team that could not 'fit' him in even at 14-15mil

Reactions: HabsQC

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Montreal will be looking to sign star UFA next summer. Around 20 million coming off books.

Be pretty cool, Demidov arriving next summer and signing Draisaitl

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It'll need to be a top-tier team with money to play with. Nice weather and lower taxes may also play a role. If anyone's gonna pry Drai away from McDavid's shadow - my guess is Dallas.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Maybe Toronto should start focusing on reliable 2-way players this time?
Bizarre statement. Our team is full of two way players. We've been a good defensive team able to make marginal goalies look good. We need clutch scoring. Astounding your post got likes. It's like people think it was a burn instead of I'll informed. HF never change.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Bizarre statement. Our team is full of two way players. We've been a good defensive team able to make marginal goalies look good. We need clutch scoring. Astounding your post got likes. It's like people think it was a burn instead of I'll informed. HF never change.

How is that a bizzarre statement? You were 19th in GA last season. What you need is defense and your supposed stars to be more clutch come playoff time.

Teams who win the cup are often amongst the best defensively during the season.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
How is that a bizzarre statement? You were 19th in GA last season. What you need is defense and your supposed stars to be more clutch come playoff time.

Teams who win the cup are often amongst the best defensively during the season.
Thats great when you run ahl goalies and your best defensive d regressed.. Context is a thing.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
I really don't think the demand for Draisaitl is great. Price will be too high. Especially for a pissy and pouty player. Who skates like a crippled Giraffe. Downhill for Draisaitl from here on out. Laziest player....I have ever seen.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Rumor has it that the Kings will pursue Draisaitl hard and make him a priority should he reach free agency which is odd considering the bad blood between the two teams but Kopitar and him are said to be very close friends .

We also have the LA lifestyle to lure him here and will have 20+ million in cap space next season with only Gavrikov of notable UFAs so we cqn throw money at him too

Maybe he replaces Kopi as the teams numero uno !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad