Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Sure, but I have no problem with that either.

I wouldn't expect anybody to work for a company involuntarily. I'm not going to hold athletes to a different standard.

I mean the trading of players is almost always involuntary. Unless they request to be traded to a specific spot. And either way that doesn't happen in an office job. So you can't compare office jobs to sports.

rangerfan_79

Jun 1, 2007
justanfyi.com
I guess Trouba could have gotten a full NMC for the entirety of his contract if we was willing to take less. The combination of salary, poor play and lack of a NMC for the remainder of his contract makes it an easy choice to move on from the player, once the right avenue becomes apparent. The cards were always in his favor but he will have to live with the choices that have been made.

I honestly like the guy but the previously stated facts are still true.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
It's a tough thing to sell because it's a unique issue. We're the only team, as far as I know, that has a slur associated with them, at least in this sport. It's hard to explain why it's not just the same as "these assholes" or "your team sucks."

But like, at the same time, we've been f***ing saying it long enough.

And Snowblind has a point -- it's way more the case now that it's just a thing rather than something insidious, but that's even more of a problem now.

If you use that term insidiously, I already don't like you and won't pay you much mind, but now it has to come up in like regular conversations.

I don't know what it is that bothers me so much, but I know I'm not alone. Most Rangers fans I know f***ing hate that word. I won't even say it.
I said it a time or two without even realizing Rangers fans found it offensive, because I had seen others on here use it.

I don’t really entirely get why it’s offensive and it doesn’t bother me as a Rangers fan… but I don’t say it anymore either.

Reactions: NYR BHK

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
our board is falling apart people attacking each other due to Trouba exercising his contractual rights. this is gonna be a long summer.
Did we ever ascertain if he was leaking to other teams that he wouldn’t report? Cause that’s my issue. It’s annoying he won’t waive but saying no to a team on his NTC is his right, no doubt.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
It is the Rangers' problem when there is a collective bargaining agreement and when there is an agreed-upon contract. It is a business on both ends. Trouba sells his skills to the highest bidder or makes a decision based on his family's needs. He is entitled to do what he did. He did so for the best of reasons. I question whether any of us would have done differently. I was talking to someone with knowledge about how residency works and he said it is almost impossible to change residency when it is in its final year.
Trouba’s personal preferences are absolutely NOT the Rangers problem and I have never suggested that NYR do anything that was not within their contractual rights. And neither has anyone else. So I’m not sure what your issue is there. As far as moving Trouba, it is within their rights to trade him to any team not on his 15 team no trade list, or waive him/assign him to Hartford. How easy or hard this would be on his family is NOT the NYR’s problem. And obviously Trouba feels that him exercising HIS contractual rights making things hard for NYRs is not HIS problem… Goes both ways buddy.
You can question what any of us would do in Trouba’s shoes but it’s irrelevant as to what rights he has or what rights the NYRs have.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Did we ever ascertain if he was leaking to other teams that he wouldn’t report? Cause that’s my issue. It’s annoying he won’t waive but saying no to a team on his NTC is his right, no doubt.
theres been zero evidence either way. And even the post's article said that things aren't bad between Drury and Trouba, which I doubt it would be if Trouba were sabataging stuff.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
That’s irrelevant. That’s a personal issue. We don’t know what McDonoughs reasons were, they could have been just as personal, they were certainly important to McDonough, and they still don’t really matter. He didn’t want to go (for whatever reason), he was “strong armed” into going, and he STILL came back. And no one was super shocked or outraged. It’s a business.
Whether Trouba is an albatross to other teams is variable on a case by case basis. There are two possibilities here: either all of this Trouba to Detroit and the “shitstorm” around it is all made up…. In which case all of this drama is completely moot, OR Detroit wanted him. So obviously they didn’t consider him and his contract the albatross it is for NYR.
You can't cherry pick what's irrelevant or revenant

There is a 3rd option which is Detroit wanted him if they could also cap dump and player or players, hence the multiple reports that NYR would have to take back holl and planned to buy him out as part of the trade

What is interesting now is that with lindgren filing for arb nyr "could" buyout trouba, although I highly doubt they do it at this point. There aren't options out there for them to sign at this point and but trade assets are extremely thin

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I hope you're right but I'm fully expecting a long-term extension at the first opportunity.
Stepan got a long-term extension and it didn’t prevent the organization from moving him even before the rebuild became the official plan. If they give him $6mx6 yeah it’s a bad sign but let’s wait and see before jumping to conclusions.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Stepan got a long-term extension and it didn’t prevent the organization from moving him even before the rebuild became the official plan. If they give him $6mx6 yeah it’s a bad sign but let’s wait and see before jumping to conclusions.
True, but Stepan warranted the extension when he signed it. Then he declined, and to their credit, the team got out at the right time.

If they extend Lindgren after what we just saw, it raises serious alarm bells (and it's nothing new) about how they evaluate defensemen, and makes me question if they would even notice a decline.

If they decide to give him multiple years now, they certainly didn't notice that he already got much worse in 23-24.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion from the pundits related to Shesh and his next contract. If he truly is dead set on the $13M, which would make him have the 2nd highest cap hit in the entire league, granted at least Drai will get more than that. Rantanen and Marner could as well), the Rangers should be exploring options to plan for a future with out him.

The Rangers really can't go into this season of there is a wide impasse with Shesh and they can't afford to let an asset like him walk for free.

It's a really complex situation that could have a dramatic impact on this teams future.

Reactions: Go Rangers

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
True, but Stepan warranted the extension when he signed it. Then he declined, and to their credit, the team got out at the right time.

If they extend Lindgren after what we just saw, it raises serious alarm bells (and it's nothing new) about how they evaluate defensemen, and makes me question if they would even notice a decline.

If they decide to give him multiple years now, they certainly didn't notice that he already got much worse in 23-24.
Again, we need to wait and see what this contract is.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion from the pundits related to Shesh and his next contract. If he truly is dead set on the $13M, which would make him have the 2nd highest cap hit in the entire league, granted at least Drai will get more than that. Rantanen and Marner could as well), the Rangers should be exploring options to plan for a future with out him.

The Rangers really can't go into this season of there is a wide impasse with Shesh and they can't afford to let an asset like him walk for free.

It's a really complex situation that could have a dramatic impact on this teams future.
Shesterkin wanting $13m is an opening bid on his end. There people adamant that anything above even $9 is excessive but most will probably accept something in the $11 range as fair in this new cap era. We need to see if they find a common ground but if not - I’m sure there will be a few teams interested in his service and willing to pay for it. But I’m optimistic that it won’t come to this.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Rongos is not from pre-2014. One of the Canes board posters (HalleJokel) was drafted to bandwagon the Rangers during/around the 2015 playoffs and that’s where it came from, as a joke.

It’s definitely not an insult like Rags.
Rongos is pre-2014 playoffs. I used it around April of 2014 if not earlier. I think it originates in 2012 honestly. There was a handful of us who had an OT thread way back when and I believe it came from one of those gems. Not 100% sure but I do know it wasn’t some f***ing Canes fan.

I didn’t search my whole history and don’t really feel like trying on mobile but if you can search “Rongos gonna rongo” you’ll find some of the earliest ones.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Shesterkin wanting $13m is an opening bid on his end. There people adamant that anything above even $9 is excessive but most will probably accept something in the $11 range as fair in this new cap era. We need to see if they find a common ground but if not - I’m sure there will be a few teams interested in his service and willing to pay for it. But I’m optimistic that it won’t come to this.
He will sign 12.5x8, be the first 100m goalie, people will complain and then sorta move on.

Reactions: kovazub94

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If Drury tried to move Trouba before he got his list then he was premature for sure and Trouba's absolutely within his rights to put that team on his no trade list. As far as the insinuation that Trouba may have told Detroit he wouldn't report.....it's likely if he did that the Rangers gave Yzerman permission to ask him and if that's the case again Trouba's within his rights to tell Steve Y he wouldn't.

At this point I don't think there's any chance the Rangers move Trouba without bringing an NHL defenseman back. They don't have a for sure ready defenseman in their pipeline. Connor Mackey and Ben Harper do have NHL experience but I don't think the Rangers really want to go with either for an entire NHL season and Jones is still pretty raw himself as far as NHL game time.

That said I would think Jacob sees the writing on the wall. That it's an eventuality and I don't see much chance at all he's going to be around after Igor starts getting paid on his next deal. So one year tops (maybe less) which if I remember right should be enough time to get his wife through her residency.

Also he's rich enough already where he could just walk away from everything. That goes against the grain against how a lot or even most people look at things in our society but if you're not happy and you have the means there's always other things you can do. Eventually he like most other athletes is going to retire from their sport and being still relatively young find some other thing to do with their time. Personally this art project of his seems to me a gimmick that's not going to last much longer than his celebrity. It's cool once or twice but after that if he wants to be an artist he needs to come up with something else completely different.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I would rather watch Trouba on PP1 and first on the ice in every 3v3 or shootout until the end of his contract than watch Ben Harpur play another game. That guy is AIDS and Ebola fused together

Reactions: Ail

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
He will sign 12.5x8, be the first 100m goalie, people will complain and then sorta move on.

Yeah that would be a terrible contract which would be detrimental to building a championship team. With the way the league has changed over the past 5 or so years, you can't have a goalie that's a top 3 cap hit in the entire league.

I get the Rangers won't get lower then a 8 year term but anything higher then $10M AAV is utter stupidity.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Yeah if we can sign the rest of our roster to under market value deals like the Panthers have then we can afford to pay Igor 12.5.

Ekblad @ 7.5M is their Trouba. Barkov and Tkachuk were market value contracts four years ago that have aged very well - kinda like Trocheck and Fox did for us.

I'm not for paying Igor 12.5M. I consider trading him at anything north of 10.5M.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Ekblad @ 7.5M is their Trouba. Barkov and Tkachuk were market value contracts four years ago that have aged very well - kinda like Trocheck and Fox did for us.

I'm not for paying Igor 12.5M. I consider trading him at anything north of 10.5M.

Fair on Ekblad.

Neither Tkachuk or Barkov were market value contracts when they were inked. We live in a world where Tavares and Panarin’s contracts exist.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Fair on Ekblad.

Neither Tkachuk or Barkov were market value contracts when they were inked. We live in a world where Tavares and Panarin’s contracts exist.

Disagree. Barkov's 8x80 was exactly where he should've been in 2021 if not a little high. Let's keep in mind this was a post covid contract. Both of the contracts you're referencing above are pre covid.

I'll give you Tkachuk but that's a wash with Fox who is also signed below market. Darnell Nurse comes to mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad