Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Negative since he's not worth 8M but that's not really the point at this point because I don't think there is anything better available so you're clearing cap space in order to just have free cap space that won't be spent. Buying him out is even worse because then you're clearing cap space to play someone worse and getting dead space for it in the future.
It is more important to get rid of that salary cap wise for 25/26 then for this year. For this year, it's too late to "buy" another guy anyways.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Negative since he's not worth 8M but that's not really the point at this point because I don't think there is anything better available so you're clearing cap space in order to just have free cap space that won't be spent. Buying him out is even worse because then you're clearing cap space to play someone worse and getting dead space for it in the future.

There are basically no viable UFA RD available right now. All the best ones are guys who are PP qb types that are poor defensively and don't PK. They obviously are not going to be interested in that since the PP roles are filled and he is the primary PKer so you'd likely need to replace him with one and not someone like Tony Deangelo, Tyson Barrie, or Justin Schultz. So you're gonna dump him to have unused cap space so you can play Chad Ruhwedel full time or something?

But isn't that the issue? If Trouba wasn't an asshole he would have had an opportunity to spend it productively?

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Lindgren, whatever. But shoot me that I want a team cancer that is circumventing his contract and also sucks off this team. The fact that he's getting what he wants means players will just take advantage of this organization because they'll just get what they want. Trouba is a f***ing cancer, on and off the ice. I hope he gets booed every minute of next season. I legit hate him more than Georgiev and I had no idea that was possible.
Trouba needs to be moved but itll be at the expense of assets, at this point; is that worth it? Im not so sure

Hiding Trouba on the third pair doesnt relieve the cap but if Schneider can play even 25% better than him, it can be masked well enough

The fact that any of this hit the media is the bigger issue and one Id be afraid may creep into the locker room

Reactions: DialUp

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Would this be a decent ttade???

Wahlstrom to Rangers for 3rd in 26 and 3rd in 27?

Rangers get RW depth and Islanders get picks to add to their future prospect pool.

Wahlstrom would be a solid buy low candidate

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I do worry about locker room toxicity after whats transpired. And I dont mean that I worry about Trouba. I think he'll be a professional and be fine. Are other players already showing some signs of not giving their all? Become more and more disillusioned with the franchise? That I worry about...because some of them we are on the hook for long term.

Reactions: leetch99

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I thought it was a matter of him coming to the end of his RFA years and telling them he wouldn’t resign, making it clear that where he wanted to sign as a UFA was here… but who knows. It was the opposite scenario, trying to leave as opposed to now, trying to stay…
Thanks.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
How? I can't blame Trouba for not submitting his NTC before it was due. If anything blame the league, or the GM who signed the contract, for giving no buffer between when the NTC was due and when FA began.
The July 1 date for NTC list submission isn't negotiable. It's based on July 1 being the start of the new league year.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
How? I can't blame Trouba for not submitting his NTC before it was due. If anything blame the league, or the GM who signed the contract, for giving no buffer between when the NTC was due and when FA began.
I don't think that's an organizational decision. It makes sense that the submission date is controlled by the CBA.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Would this be a decent ttade???

Wahlstrom to Rangers for 3rd in 26 and 3rd in 27?

Rangers get RW depth and Islanders get picks to add to their future prospect pool.

Wahlstrom would be a solid buy low candidate
That would leave us with only 3 picks (all firsts) in 2025-2027....don't think management wants to go that route -- especially if it's only for a "depth" forward.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think there is grounds for contract termination by the Rangers if he refuses to report to a team NOT on his No-Go list.

He is refusing to report to a team that he has no protections with. His actions are clearly detrimental to the team. Once the NMC converted to a Limited NTC, he was completely SOL.

The Rangers are bending over backwards here not to look like complete shitheels, but at some point, Trouba and his camp have to see the writing on the wall.

They should keep the guy in street clothes until he gets it through his thick dome that he's no longer needed/wanted here.

Reactions: Graves97

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think there is grounds for contract termination by the Rangers if he refuses to report to a team NOT on his No-Go list.

He is refusing to report to a team that he has no protections with. His actions are clearly detrimental to the team. Once the NMC converted to a Limited NTC, he was completely SOL.

The Rangers are bending over backwards here not to look like complete shitheels, but at some point, Trouba and his camp have to see the writing on the wall.

They should keep the guy in street clothes until he gets it through his thick dome that he's no longer needed/wanted here.
If he's traded and doesn't report, the team that acquired him could terminate his contract.

If he and his agent influence the process so that no one wants to trade for him, the Rangers can't terminate his contract. They could try, and if by some bizarre turn of events the league permitted it, Trouba would file a grievance that would go to arbitration. And the Rangers would likely lose, and either have to reinstate him and pay him his money or settle with him--something similar to Corey Perry.

No one is going to be trying to terminate his contract, basically. Not some other team, because they won't acquire him unless they know he'd report, and not the Rangers, because they don't have any grounds to do so.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

There are basically no viable UFA RD available right now. All the best ones are guys who are PP qb types that are poor defensively and don't PK. They obviously are not going to be interested in that since the PP roles are filled and he is the primary PKer so you'd likely need to replace him with one and not someone like Tony Deangelo, Tyson Barrie, or Justin Schultz. So you're gonna dump him to have unused cap space so you can play Chad Ruhwedel full time or something?
The question is whether Drury had plans to upgrade Fox’s partner and whether these plans still available. Trouba’s contract in itself without this consideration is not an issue this year - from the on ice perspective there could be worse options and if the team below the cap it all that matters.

If there’s no external option available anymore (or for now) if I’m Drury I’m talking to Laviolette about the plan with this group of defensemen and the only path is to promote Miller to 1LD and make Lindgren / Trouba your 3rd pair.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

How are you going to prove that he refuses to report until AFTER the Rangers trade him and there’s a first mandatory team “event” like training camp? And at this point Rangers have nothing to do with his contract after it’s traded. No backsies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't think that's an organizational decision. It makes sense that the submission date is controlled by the CBA.

Yea I'm not sure how that's determined but you'd think there should be a bit of a gap between the two dates to give the GMs a little bit of time to do their job.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Are you saying that there were no UFAs available after it was due? It was due July 1st.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If he's traded and doesn't report, the team that acquired him could terminate his contract.

If he and his agent influence the process so that no one wants to trade for him, the Rangers can't terminate his contract. They could try, and if by some bizarre turn of events the league permitted it, it would be a grievance that would go to arbitration. And the Rangers would likely lose, and either have to reinstate him and pay him his money or settle with him--something similar to Corey Perry.

No one is going to be trying to terminate his contract, basically. Not some other team, because they won't acquire him unless they know he'd report, and not the Rangers, because they don't have any grounds to do so.
Yeah there hasn’t been a precedent for this so even the first assumption of NHL potentially granting a hearing for the team’s grievance to the Rangers is a speculation.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Are you saying that there were no UFAs available after it was due? It was due July 1st.

It was due at the beginning of free agency and we already know teams talk to players prior to that given how many exact reports of contract details came out before 12pm on 7/1 so if they waited until the last minute there certainly wouldn't have been time to seek out a team for a deal and still have any quality players left. If Drury got the list at 11:59 on 12/1 how could he simultaneously review the list, contact teams not on it, and try to work out a deal all the while he still needs to talk to agents/players to discuss UFAs for guys who didn't sign instantly? Would other GMs even want to discuss a trade at that point given they were working on free agency? The news of the Smith trade came just before 2PM.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Zero percent. The team likes lindgren and thinks he will be a bargain or market rate at worst.

The plan really is to hope kandre and Schneider improves by a decent leap, Jones is a regular, kakko takes off, chytil stays healthy and leaps and Laf pots 30. Another surprise improvement or two would be a bonus such as cuylle putting in 20+ or othmann making the team.

That's the plan right now.
The plan is to let their Norris winner be on a pair that's a net negative at every aspect of the game and tell themselves "this is great" because the organization is run by actual stupid people.

They actually think being in your own zone a lot indicates good defensive play. They've thought it for a generation.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Obviously I’m saying he’s an albatross to the team that’s looking to move him, the NYR. Since we were talking about how outsiders might view the NYR for the way they deal with it. Or maybe not obviously enough. So consider my reply a clarification.
It’s not a double standard at all. I’ve said repeatedly that (short of the “he won’t report” rumors) Trouba’s camp is within their rights, even if acting in bad faith. My point is that NYR would ALSO be within their rights and NOT acting in bad faith. I don’t know what anyone else has been saying, but that is not my responsibility.
I’m sure there was plenty of discussion, AFTER WHICH McDonough WENT BACK. Thats the bottom line. There wasn’t even irreparable damage with McDonogh and his agent themselves, never mind outside observers. Has Tampa had any blackballing problems signing free agents since they forced McDonogh out? Nope. And neither would NYR by obvious logic.
The above is my opinion and it’s based in logic, but of course not absolute. We will never know unless it happens. I’m fine if you disagree bud. But there’s no double standards or even bad logic in what I’ve said.
And the difference here is mcd did not have an outstanding personal situation.

If trouba's family didn't have the current situation that they do then I am all with you, but they do so it's an added factor.

And his fully contract at this point is a borderline albatross, that's part of why I don't see anyone claiming him if he was waived.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
1) What the F is Buffalo doing?

2) Why can’t we trade Kakko for McGroarty if McLoed can fetch Savoie?

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
1) What the F is Buffalo doing?

2) Why can’t we trade Kakko for McGroarty if McLoed can fetch Savoie?
Buffalo is just about the dumbest team in professional sports so you can't use them to measure value.

McLeod was on a team that did pretty well and profiles as a "gamer."

Buffalo probably have themselves convinced the core is in place and they need whatever nonsense intangibles now. It's not in place. You losers can't win 40 games.

I say the same thing about Ottawa. "Oh but they have so much talent." At what point do we re-evaluate that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad