Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
At the time it was a hefty package no doubt, but that’s what it would have taken to get a proven 24 yr old 90-100 pt game breaking center….
When was Eichel ever a proven 90-100 point game breaking center?

He managed to crack 80 points once in Buffalo and since traded to Vegas cant stay healthy.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe to the fans. I highly doubt the players and coaching staff care about it at all. And I don't think the team should be making decisions based on what the fans want.

And management? Considering they wanted to trade them? Players and coaches, players especially care about things that are far more shortsighted than fans do. Fan priorities are a lot more closely aligned to managements' than coaches and players. And management wanted to trade him.

Honestly, my priorities as an employee for my organization is not necessarily aligned with my organization's long term best interest. That's fans. They care that Trouba plays hard and is a "warrior". That's completely misaligned from winning. Players get relationships with other players that are completely irrelevant to winning and fans. Who the f*** cares what players value.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yes that is the point. If he doesn't report they will first suspend him and then terminate his deal for breaching the contract. Why is this so complicated? Of course he doesn't instantly become a FA because he says he wants to.
How many players have you seen walk away from $12 mill have their team suspend them then cut them for breach of contract than another NHL team sign them to a large deal without a grievance filed with the league office?

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
I understand your points but that 60 is probably closer to 30 after fees and taxes. I don't think for a second Trouba is walking away from $16 mill especially if it could be his last big money. The chances are very slim imo. Wade Redden made a lot. Still played in the minors while making his $$$
I think 99.9% of the population would happily never work another day again with 'only' $30M dollars in the bank. You could live a ridiculously comfortable life anywhere in the world with that money and never have a worry in the world, dude might be serious about not reporting or walking away. Good for him.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think 99.9% of the population would happily never work another day again with 'only' $30M dollars in the bank. You could live a ridiculously comfortable life anywhere in the world with that money and never have a worry in the world, dude might be serious about not reporting or walking away. Good for him.
I agree with your outlook but NHL players are like the 99.99999999999% stratosphere in the world. Things change. I know someone (not a pro athlete) that alwys thought he would feel he made it as a millionaire. Then he figured really he needed 2 mill. Now he doesn't feel 100% even at $4.2 mill. Thats probably how it is for some of these guys. Saquon Barkley got really upset over $1 mill last season despite making around $35 mill.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Sure but with limited trade value to begin with, does a team like Detroit really want to take that headache on? Possible negative PR? NHL GMs are the most risk averse across any major sport. Just a whiff may be enough to nuke the limited trade market.
Why is it negative PR to trade for a player? Or to trade one for that matter? This is overblown.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
And management? Considering they wanted to trade them? Players and coaches, players especially care about things that are far more shortsighted than fans do. Fan priorities are a lot more closely aligned to managements' than coaches and players. And management wanted to trade him.

Honestly, my priorities as an employee for my organization is not necessarily aligned with my organization's long term best interest. That's fans. They care that Trouba plays hard and is a "warrior". That's completely misaligned from winning. Players get relationships with other players that are completely irrelevant to winning and fans. Who the f*** cares what players value.

I don't think management really has an issue with the situation. This is mostly media and fan driven. There is absolutely nothing stopping Drury from trading Trouba and a 3rd round pick to a team not on his NTC in exchange for future considerations if he just wanted him out of the organization no matter what.

Last edited:
Reactions: PalmCoastRanger

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Prove it year for Lindgren...really important year for Chytil and Kakko.
Iffffff, Chytil stays healthy, Kakko takes a step and one of Othmann or Berard make this squad, imo our forward group is better than last year.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I seem to recall someone (either here or one of the reporters) saying that Trouba used similar tactics to get traded here. Anyone recall what happened?
I thought it was a matter of him coming to the end of his RFA years and telling them he wouldn’t resign, making it clear that where he wanted to sign as a UFA was here… but who knows. It was the opposite scenario, trying to leave as opposed to now, trying to stay…

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why is it negative PR to trade for a player? Or to trade one for that matter? This is overblown.
You're not wrong but I also agree with the point that the NHL is a risk-averse league.

What they avoid is just another Wednesday in the NBA or NFL. The Knicks just traded for six draft picks LMAO.

MLB is also boring because there's no floor and like six teams spend money.

Reactions: bhamill

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Drury sits Trouba down and says, " I'll give you a NMC for this year if you get no clause at all next year and you go where ever you are traded to". Would both sides agree? Trouba gets the year for the wife to finish and Drury gets the contract gone for Igor's extension.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think management really has an issue with the situation. This is mostly media and fan driven. There is absolutely nothing stopping Drury from trading Trouba and a 3rd round pick to a team not on his NTC in exchange for future considerations if he just wanted him out of the organization no matter what.

Ok, do you think he at his contract and level of play is a net positive or net negative on this team?

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
What are the chances the Rangers let Lindgren walk and buyout Trouba? Improvement by eliminating some of the issues
Zero percent. The team likes lindgren and thinks he will be a bargain or market rate at worst.

The plan really is to hope kandre and Schneider improves by a decent leap, Jones is a regular, kakko takes off, chytil stays healthy and leaps and Laf pots 30. Another surprise improvement or two would be a bonus such as cuylle putting in 20+ or othmann making the team.

That's the plan right now.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Ok, do you think he at his contract and level of play is a net positive or net negative on this team?

Negative since he's not worth 8M but that's not really the point at this point because I don't think there is anything better available so you're clearing cap space in order to just have free cap space that won't be spent. Buying him out is even worse because then you're clearing cap space to play someone worse and getting dead space for it in the future.

There are basically no viable UFA RD available right now. All the best ones are guys who are PP qb types that are poor defensively and don't PK. They obviously are not going to be interested in that since the PP roles are filled and he is the primary PKer so you'd likely need to replace him with one and not someone like Tony Deangelo, Tyson Barrie, or Justin Schultz. So you're gonna dump him to have unused cap space so you can play Chad Ruhwedel full time or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad