Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Expecting Panarin and Trocheck to be as good as they were is a mistake, Zibanejad is already not that good, and Kreider while a great special teams player has lost a step and isn’t as effective as he used to be at 5v5. It is extremely unlikely the Rangers are as good as they were last season. Hope for improvements from Laf/Miller/Jones/Cuylle, and Chytil stays healthy to offset regression from the other 4. But that’s the situation this team is in.
If you want the most pessimistic outlook going forward, especially with two of these guys having monster regular seasons, I guess this is something. Zibanejad is the biggest problem in the top 6, granted but there's no reason he can't turn it around.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
For sure. But thats completely different then saying "Oh god putting Trouba on waivers is going to cause catastrophic issues for this franchise".

And I know you're not the one saying it. I'm not even sure why I'm arguing it. Its so absurd, lol.
it's bleedblue. he's promulgating this strange admixture of argument that both:

a. Trouba is insulated from criticism about his purported refusal to report to any other team (preventing trade) because he has an infant child.

b. the rangers' appeal as a FA destination would be catastrophically impacted if they put any pressure on Trouba to not refuse to report to any other team

it's some strange fetishization of Rangers Woe - that they are castrated here and that they deserve to suffer because they're on the wrong side of the human interest element.

Moving the player off of NYR is not personal, it's a business move. For Trouba to make it personal by invoking non-contractually guaranteed factors is *only* a reflection on how he conducts his business (if that is what's happening).

As i've said before, most players' pride manifests in a trade situation as "i don't want to play for a team that doesn't want me." It appears that Trouba cares less about not playing where he isn't wanted than living where it's convenient for him.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
it's bleedblue. he's promulgating this strange admixture of argument that both:

a. Trouba is insulated from criticism about his purported refusal to report to any other team (preventing trade) because he has an infant child.

b. the rangers' appeal as a FA destination would be catastrophically impacted if they put any pressure on Trouba to not refuse to report to any other team

it's some strange fetishization of Rangers Woe - that they are castrated here and that they deserve to suffer because they're on the wrong side of the human interest element.

Moving the player off of NYR is not personal, it's a business move. For Trouba to make it personal by invoking non-contractually guaranteed factors is *only* a reflection on how he conducts his business (if that is what's happening).

As i've said before, most players' pride manifests in a trade situation as "i don't want to play for a team that doesn't want me." It appears that Trouba cares less about not playing where he isn't wanted than living where it's convenient for him.
Trouba + his agent also have a history of antagonism with teams.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
One of the more underlooked aspects of this whole ordeal is that Drury clearly doesn’t learn from his past mistakes.

It’s obvious to me this whole mess is his/the teams doing.

He f***ed with Kravstov in a similar way, handling of a player that there was known history on what they would do in response. You’d think he would have learned and would have taken extra care considering this is the f***ing captain of the team

But alas, his offseason plans blew up in his face cause he doesn’t learn

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
If the bring back the same defense, they are virtually guaranteed to be a below average team at 5v5. They will be good. But hard to be a serious contender if that is the case.

This is basically it. Subtracting Trouba off this roster and replacing him with an average defenseman that could move the puck efficiently changes the entire dynamic of this team. They replaced one of their only puck movers with a puck mover so that nets out and we're in the same boat of 3 guys who range from below average moving it out of their zone to handling the puck like a grenade in Schneider, Lindgren, and Trouba, a guy who is better skating it out than passing in Miller, and 2 legitimate puck movers in Jones and Fox.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm all for letting the young forwards earn some call ups and seeing who grabs the brass ring there.

3rd pair LHD is still a massive gaping hole. I'd prefer to get a vet for the 7th D spot for insurance for Jones.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I'm all for letting the young forwards earn some call ups and seeing who grabs the brass ring there.

3rd pair LHD is still a massive gaping hole. I'd prefer to get a vet for the 7th D spot for insurance for Jones.
Not many options available in that regard. A lot have been scooped up.

As of now, you've got the following:

Scandella
Goligoski
Staal :sarcasm:
Tinordi 🤢

Kylington is someone that would be interesting, but he's probably looking for a little more money than a 7th D.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Trouba is gone next summer at the latest.

I highly doubt it. The buyout is terrible and should not even be talked about. He will decline any trade out and by next year he only has 1 yr left anyway. We are not going to put him on waivers bc this assemble of players are a bunch of bitches. Just let the contract run out then get the 8m off the books along with Lindy. There is our money, plus then we can actually move out players like zibs and so forth. We are stuck

TommyHip

Feb 13, 2018
At this point, a trade of Lindgren and a signing of Kylington would do quite a lot to improving the offseason so far. At the very least, don't tie up the cap space with Lindgren and try to find someone who can adequately move the puck.
Love the Kylington suggestion at this point (any recent updates on his status?) as it would give us a solid puck-mover on each pairing and likely help with zone exits.

Miller-Fox
Kylington-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

I suspect the current brass may have some concerns about who PKs on the left side, but I'm not hating this. Get Trouba and Fox healthy, move Trouba down, expect some growth from Miller/Schneider and I think we definitely see some much needed improvement on the blue line. Plus a few picks to replenish the cupboard for Lindgren and lots of flexibility moving forward. Wouldn't hate this.

Reactions: ArPanet

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I highly doubt it. The buyout is terrible and should not even be talked about. He will decline any trade out and by next year he only has 1 yr left anyway. We are not going to put him on waivers bc this assemble of players are a bunch of bitches. Just let the contract run out then get the 8m off the books along with Lindy. There is our money, plus then we can actually move out players like zibs and so forth. We are stuck

The buyout next summer is a 4M cap hit and then 2M. It’s not terrible.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
At this point, a trade of Lindgren and a signing of Kylington would do quite a lot to improving the offseason so far. At the very least, don't tie up the cap space with Lindgren and try to find someone who can adequately move the puck.

From you keyboard to drury ears.. but sadly we know what is going to happen here, Lindy will get a 2 year deal to match with trouba and this is what we are for the next two years

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
One of the more underlooked aspects of this whole ordeal is that Drury clearly doesn’t learn from his past mistakes.

It’s obvious to me this whole mess is his/the teams doing.

He f***ed with Kravstov in a similar way, handling of a player that there was known history on what they would do in response. You’d think he would have learned and would have taken extra care considering this is the f***ing captain of the team

But alas, his offseason plans blew up in his face cause he doesn’t learn
Still blaming Drury because the whiny bitch ran away? Please. And just where is Kravsoft killing it in the NHL?

Reactions: ArPanet

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
The buyout next summer is a 4M cap hit and then 2M. It’s not terrible.

Yes it is when we are trying to move out cap space. Can we just stop with the buyouts. Let the contract just run out, why have 2m on the books of dead cap space when we will need it? Just doesn’t make sense to me

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
NY Post reporting one week ago:

"THE DECISION HAS BEEN MADE. Whether by trade or by waiver, Jacob Trouba will not be returning."

One week later:

"Jacob Trouba will most likely be returning."

NY Post reporting one week ago:

"Chris Drury not content to run it back. Nothing is off the table!"

One week later:

"Rangers likely to run it back. Everything is off the table."

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Yes it is when we are trying to move out cap space. Can we just stop with the buyouts. Let the contract just run out, why have 2m on the books of dead cap space when we will need it? Just doesn’t make sense to me

Have you seen next year and who has to be signed? They CAN’T let it “run out” unless you’re willing to lose one of Igor, KAM, or LAF to do it.

Rangers are going to need every penny next offseason, I don’t think a buyout is a tenable option.

It’s a better option than keeping him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad