Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Vince new podcast:
- NYR were shopping Trouba but he never heard about this set deal with Detroit.
- NYR want to move him is strictly money related.
- Trouba really cares and is very invested in NYR.
- Shame on anyone dragging his wife
Shame on anyone 'dragging' either of them. We're supposed to be f***ing professionals

1720010328776.png

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Im actually quite excited to see how KAM and BS progress next year. We could have a really young shutdown pair on our hands, which has been low key amidst the Trouba drama.

Big questions imo are really on the third line, and how Jones will do with Trouba, if he wins the spot. Chytil health and if Kakko sticks and can put together a good season are big.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Look, I'm fine with Trouba staying. For all the shit he gets and his contract being an overpayment, he still provides things that this team needs on the back-end. It's the exact reason people were interested in Zadorov and Dillon this off-season. My main concern is I don't see a way for this teams defense to improve on what they need to improve upon with Lindgren AND Trouba still here. If we just look at the pairings:

I think we all would like to see an extended look of Miller-Fox on the top-pairing. That just makes sense.

Miller-Fox

That leaves Lindgren, Trouba, Jones and Schneider.

Lindgren and Trouba together should NEVER be a thing apart from PK. So that leaves:

Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

This is horrendous. That Lindgren-Schneider pair will get hemmed in their zone and asking a rookie undersized d-man to cover for Trouba when he attempts hits or is aggressive, as he should be, is silly. What needs to happen, at this point, is for Drury to look for a trade that either moves out Lindgren allowing for the acquisition of another LD or trades Lindgren for that LD. Ideally someone who can move the puck.

Again, Trouba sticking around, at this point, for another season will be fine. He's a 4/5 d-man who is overpaid but he provides things teams relish and need. The issue is building defensive pairings that work with both he and Lindgren in the lineup.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
There's something still missing. It's like a meal without a drink or only an entree. The depth is off. They literally have no 7D right now. It's bizarre, either no one wants to come here, or they want too much money. You'd think even like a Ruewedhl or Mahura or Klingberg on a prove it come back deal.

They're also one Chytil injury from Johnny Brodz being the 3C again.
Carrick. An upgrade on Brodz.

Reactions: Daves a mess

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Vince new podcast:
- NYR were shopping Trouba but he never heard about this set deal with Detroit.
- Trouba really cares and is very invested in NYR.
- Shame on anyone dragging his wife
The Rangers players are too sensitive. They are upset about Goodrow being waived. They are upset about Trouba. They are upset about Jim Ramsey. If the players aren't happy, they can call Dolan and Drury to request trades to a "better" situation for them. Arthur Staple wrote the same shit. These guys are spoiled. The Rangers aren’t winning with this group. They are mentally weak. It shows. The Rangers never fight to extend a series. TB two years ago. Up 2-0 in the series and up 2-0 in game three. The Rangers wilted. Lost in 6. The Rangers were up 2-1 in the Florida series and Trouba(of all people)made a horrific mistake on the PK. Series tied 2-2. The Rangers lost game 5 at home with an awful 3rd period and were no shows in game 6. Someone should send that PK sequence to Trouba and Overhardt.

The players complain but they hide behind their NMC/NTC. Ridiculous.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Im actually quite excited to see how KAM and BS progress next year. We could have a really young shutdown pair on our hands, which has been low key amidst the Trouba drama.

Big questions imo are really on the third line, and how Jones will do with Trouba, if he wins the spot. Chytil health and if Kakko sticks and can put together a good season are big.
KAM needs to step up. I am reading about him wanting big money next summer. His performance in game 3 against Florida was deplorable. Miller handed the Panthers two goals. Here Florida. Two goals for you. You're welcome.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
KAM needs to step up. I am reading about him wanting big money next summer. His performance in game 3 against Florida was deplorable. Miller handed the Panthers two goals. Here Florida. Two goals for you. You're welcome.

Miller-Fox
Jones-Schneider
Lindgren-Trouba

Fox stays at home where he is comfortable letting Miller roam and lead the rush.
Jones and Schneider work through their shit and continue to improve and develop.
Lindgren and Trouba handle more cynical D zone draws and play more with the 3rd and 4th lines who don't rely as much on clean exits to move the puck.

The problem of course is we have no depth for injuries. We're on booboo away from Ben Bickel (Harpur) back there.

Reactions: Atax

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Okay...

Realistically, what's our cup window with the roster we have now, and if the cup never pans out, how bad is our rebuild going to look?
Our best playoff performers were Laf, (injured) Fox, Troch, Shesty. Kreider somewhat but I don’t see him falling off the cliff anyway. Pan and Zibs were not impactful this post season.
Our younger core keeps our window open. If Shesty stays we are talking 7-8 years min. Troch we will have to see how he holds up, but the young players on the way are all the type you want in the playoffs. Gabe is a BIG GAME player and the odds are he pans out. Berard, Sykora, Othman are all high compete players.
IMO our Cup window will stay wide open after Pan and Trouba, even with Zibs probably weighing us down. Schneider, Miller are only going to get better as well. Our bottom six is looking really good for the future too.
I have no idea why people think we have a one or two years window. That may, or may not, be our PRESIDENTS TROPHY window, but our chances of going farther in the playoffs will get BETTER, not worse, after the 93 20 10 8 core is gone, or secondary in Zibs case.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
That was on the PK. Part of the reason why Lindgren is still here.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Just going to throw this out there, but the “I won’t report stuff” if true can be navigated around. Trade him to a team for picks or prospects with 2.5mil retained, with the stipulation that if he doesn’t report we send the picks or prospects back. If he reports we shed 5.5mil and gain some assets. If he doesn’t report, his contract is terminated and we shed 8mil.
Yes. I WILL take the AGM job if it is offered.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

He was horrible in game 5 as well. Did a Trouba impression with the penalties. We need him to get it together. Play him with Fox!

Just going to throw this out there, but the “I won’t report stuff” if true can be navigated around. Trade him to a team for picks or prospects with 2.5mil retained, with the stipulation that if he doesn’t report we send the picks or prospects back. If he reports we shed 5.5mil and gain some assets. If he doesn’t report, his contract is terminated and we shed 8mil.

I’d give you the job over most here

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Just throwing it out there and I am also about 9 pages of threads behind if it has been already discussed .

What is the story on Carter Hart ? What happens if this case gets tossed or goes nowhere and they don't have any record via a court of law after it ends ? Are they all UFA players ? Can any club sign them ? Would some club take a risk ? Rangers have had reclamation projects here before as in Malone -Tibbets- and the LA King fellow I forget his name and long ago Murdoch to name some .
I don't think anyone knows, and it could be a while before there's any clarity on the situation. My guess is that none of the players involved will play in the NHL again.

Reactions: leetch99

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I just think that even in that scenario - there is an additional unavoidable risk to teams and that is, Trouba shows up disinterested and distracted, not wanting to be there. Teams may not be willing to risk that or the potential drama for that matter, even if they have recourse for their assets.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Players with NTCs get moved all the time, so it's not fantasy, it's just harder.

At least we know the Rangers tried and I will give them credit for that.

But too often some don't like the discussion of moving a player and so they lean on the NTC to pretend it's impossible, which it isn't. If a couple more teams had cap room this would be a very different conversation.

Right but the point is moving a player that doesn’t want to be moved is very difficult. And, yes, but cap room has been a league wide issue for years and given some of the contracts that were handed out on the 1st will likely never not be an issue.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
There's something still missing. It's like a meal without a drink or only an entree. The depth is off. They literally have no 7D right now. It's bizarre, either no one wants to come here, or they want too much money. You'd think even like a Ruewedhl or Mahura or Klingberg on a prove it come back deal.

They're also one Chytil injury from Johnny Brodz being the 3C again.
It's not perfect by any means but overall it's better than last years group that started the season. There is still plenty of time to find depth pieces on D. What they really need is another top 4 Dman which is harder to do.

Reactions: Atax

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Vince new podcast:

Not entirely buying this. Besides the fact that Trouba is objectively terrible and a liability both on the offensive and defensive ends and commits mind-numbingly stupid and unnecessary penalties that cost the team, we would be looking to trade Panarin if it was just about the money. Panarin is earning 3-4M more than Trouba, has way more value than Trouba (despite sucking in the playoffs, he's one of the best performers during the regular season) and Panarin's absence would lead to Lafreniere playing his natural position of LW in the top-6.

I have no idea why some people are sour on Kreider. He's one of the best rangers in team history and well overplaying his contract. He is not, and never will be 2000-2006 Todd Bertuzzi.

Still sour over the Panthers series. You can't argue that he completely disappeared...though he wasn't the only one. But the Krieder-Zibanejad bromance is f***ing gross.

Reactions: ArPanet

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
In what world did Trouba take any kind of discount to be here. Goodrow negotiated a M-NTC and Drury used what was available to him to get out of a bad contract. Had Trouba wanted a full NMC he should have taken less $$ or term.
Panarin took less
Kreider took less to stay,
Mika and took fair value at the time.
Fox took less
Trouba was “fair value” and assume the cap goes up.
Trouba had a reasonable expectation that he could be moved this year, due to whatever reason his wife’s residency isn’t finished yet. He’s got a valid reason to not want to be moved.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I have no idea why some people are sour on Kreider. He's one of the best rangers in team history and well overplaying his contract. He is not, and never will be 2000-2006 Todd Bertuzzi.
It's wild to me. The one guy who is actually living up to, maybe even surpassing the value of his deal is the scapegoat here. Been like that for a while. Have you seen Chris?

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
it didnt sit well with me that the Post was highlighting the wife thing. its not that i didnt know but its not exactly necessary to print it, imo. I am sure others feel it is relevant to report, but it *felt* slimey. I suppose the Post is just slimetown all around anyway so what should i have expected?

Why is it slimy? It's being used as a reason to give him a forced NMC.

The article didn't bad mouth her, it just stated the reason why his family is more important than any other player who's ever been traded

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Panarin took less
Kreider took less to stay,
Mika and took fair value at the time.
Fox took less
Trouba was “fair value” and assume the cap goes up.
Trouba had a reasonable expectation that he could be moved this year, due to whatever reason his wife’s residency isn’t finished yet. He’s got a valid reason to not want to be moved.
Panarin took half a mil less to not play for the Islanders.
Kreider/Mika took market fair deals.
Fox didnt take less to play here. I dont know what your talking about. He's tied for the 5th highest defensemen in the league.

Trouba can have all the reasons in the world not to be moved. But he can only block 15 teams. The team can do whatever they want with him.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
Here's a wild thought: if I'm a player, especially a captain, and I love my teammates and the city I play in, maybe I don't go out playing like dogshit because I don't want to incentivize the higher-ups to either trade me or buy me out.

Trouba can't be that thick to not have realized he was playing like excrement. And let's say that injury was a factor, if he didn't have only 2 braincells fighting for 3rd place, he should have known this was the year he has to give his list, he should have told both Lavy, the medical staff that he can't play the way he wants to.

But no: what we got was him going head first into the boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad