Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
The minimum salary this year is $775,000, so the max that you can bury is that plus $375,000--or $1.15m. So even if they actually kept him in Hartford all year that would be the maximum amount they could save, they'd still be on the hook for the other ~$7M regardless.
If he and his agent are gonna play hard ball to keep him here we’re using 8M of cap on him anyway, I’d call their bluff and threaten him with bus rides through the northeast if he doesn’t agree to honor the stipulations in a contract he signed, he can talk tough but is he really gonna embarrass himself to make a stand and still end up away from his wife and child?

I’m just trying to find any possible solution to a situation like this that doesn’t include bending over for the wishes of one guy, he should suck it up and work with the team to find a suitable destination, time to move on

Reactions: bhamill

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
The players have mutinied. Management needs to retake control of the team and start denying them the luxury experience they've come to expect. Book cheap hotels and emulate everything the Coyotes did. Taco drawers like the Senators. Publicly humiliate big ticket players that aren't willing to waive their NMC and NTC.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Its becoming more and more obvious with some of drurys quotes yesterday/how hes approaching this offseason that hes planning on taking major runs at draisaitl/rantennen a year from now
Igor’s extension is basically Armageddon. They’ve got one more run (or at least that’s how they are probably looking at it rightfully or wrongfully) with this group. I think with the short term deals, they are just intentionally not trying to keep salary into next summer if possible; which is probably the right thing to do.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Colorado is over the cap with Nichuskin and Landeskog back and they appear to be missing a 4C as well as a #6 or #7 d-man. A trade revolving around:

Lindgren + Brodzinski for Colton + 2nd

Makes sense and actually fits both sides. The Rangers would need to retain slightly on Lindgren but they could sign him to a 1-year deal, retain on him and then Colorado, if it so desired, could re-sign him to a longer term contract.

So:
Sign Lindgren - 1 year @ $3.5m
Rangers retain $1.5m

To Coloardo:
Brodzinski + Lindgren Retained

To NYR:
Colton + NYR 2nd

The Rangers would have ~$2.2m to sign a couple of d-men (Kylington please + depth)
The Avs would have ~$1.45m to sign a 4C and maybe a 7th d-man

1719927596199.png

1719927617863.png

The minimum salary this year is $775,000, so the max that you can bury is that plus $375,000--or $1.15m. So even if they actually kept him in Hartford all year that would be the maximum amount they could save, they'd still be on the hook for the other ~$7M regardless.
Duh I knew this...

Reactions: bhamill and Tob

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If he and his agent are gonna play hard ball to keep him here we’re using 8M of cap on him anyway, I’d call their bluff and threaten him with bus rides through the northeast if he doesn’t agree to honor the stipulations in a contract he signed, he can talk tough but is he really gonna embarrass himself to make a stand and still end up away from his wife and child?

I’m just trying to find any possible solution to a situation like this that doesn’t include bending over for the wishes of one guy, he should suck it up and work with the team to find a suitable destination, time to move on
I'm not saying it can't be done, just that the financial savings for us would be minimal. If you did this it would be to send a message to or punish the player. Which if you want to go that route is fine, but it doesn't help our bottom line.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Zegras is the most overrated player on HFNYR. And on top of that, he's a terrible fit for what we need to get over the hump.

If we traded for him, threw him on PP2 and expected him to be responsible on both sides of the puck at even strength, there'd be mass cases of whiplash across the site with how quickly posters would turn on him.

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
I'm not saying it can't be done, just that the financial savings for us would be minimal. If you did this it would be to send a message to or punish the player. Which if you want to go that route is fine, but it doesn't help our bottom line.
Yea the financial part is one thing and you’re right the savings would be minimal and it would definitely be about sending a message

I just saw a lot of people basically saying the Rangers really can’t do anything about the situation and I just wanted to hash that out completely even if the solution ends up being unsavory for some

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Yeah Gorton is doing a great job getting those final pieces together in Montreal by the way. Gorton couldn’t do anything either unless it fell on his lap
Gorton is a better executive than Drury. Chris has been overmatched since day one. One good trade in 3 years. Lundkvist. This is Drury's 4th offseason as Rangers GM. The same problems exist. All of the draft picks flushed down the toilet. Gorton wasn't perfect but Chris is lost. The Habs will be good. They need to wait for some of their bad contracts to come off the books and not rushing the rebuild might be the prudent thing.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers have a cap issue for 25-26. That's the issue. Igor wants a blank check. The Rangers don't have an alternative. The goalie trade market sucks. The Rangers can get a first round pick but that doesn't mean much. The Rangers need the entire $8M cap hit for Trouba off their books next summer.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Gorton is a better executive than Drury. Chris has been overmatched since day one. One good trade in 3 years. Lundkvist. This is Drury's 4th offseason as Rangers GM. The same problems exist. All of the draft picks flushed down the toilet. Gorton wasn't perfect but Chris is lost. The Habs will be good. They need to wait for some of their bad contracts to come off the books and not rushing the rebuild might be the prudent thing.
Gorton might be a better executive than Drury, but Gorton’s worst sins are worse than Drury’s worst sins. Draft picks being flushed down the toilet? What do you call taking Lias and Kravtsov? With better picks than what Drury has had to use? The Habs will be good? The Rangers are good. Stop. I don’t think either guy is Einstein, but Drury has had to work around Gorton’s messes. Gorton left a big mess

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The extensions don't kick in till the current deals run out, so signing Bonino last year has nothing to do with a Miller extension, even if the extension was signed last year.

But I agree the earlier you sign the extensions, the cheaper they are, so that when they DO kick in, it's less than if you sign them next year.

For that reason, Drury needs to get some of these guys signed NOW.

Shesterkin definitely needs a little pressure applied, as he's barking about wanting 14% of the damn cap or whatever. Saaros just got under $8m.

Both of these are negotiating positions, but Drury needs to have the stones to actually be cutthroat about it if Shesterkin won't sign for a reasonable amount that is much closer to Saaros than what he's asking for.
General agree, I first try to sell high on Shesty NOW, regardless of what it forces us to rely short term on Quick, Dom while garand graduates to varsity

I do Shesty 10.25 x 8 but very limited ntc only, no nmc

Zegras is the most overrated player on HFNYR. And on top of that, he's a terrible fit for what we need to get over the hump.

If we traded for him, threw him on PP2 and expected him to be responsible on both sides of the puck at even strength, there'd be mass cases of whiplash across the site with how quickly posters would turn on him.
Despite this, depending on what it would cost, I would take that risk.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
The Rangers have a cap issue for 25-26. That's the issue. Igor wants a blank check. The Rangers don't have an alternative. The goalie trade market sucks. The Rangers can get a first round pick but that doesn't mean much. The Rangers need the entire $8M cap hit for Trouba off their books next summer.
The alternative is to not sign him and figure out a way to build a better team in front of a worse goalie. The other direction hasn’t worked for 2 decades.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Gorton might be a better executive than Drury, but Gorton’s worst sins are worse than Drury’s worst sins. Draft picks being flushed down the toilet? What do you call taking Lias and Kravtsov? With better picks than what Drury has had to use? The Habs will be good? The Rangers are good. Stop
A little early to be comparing their drafting records, nobody Drury has drafted has even played an NHL game.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I knew sending all our dead weight to Utah was too good to be true. Like, they have standards. Why would they just want Lindgren? You need to target a team that is fallible to the "warrior" narrative and even then they're looking for big strong players, not an oft injured midget.

Lindgren on the market has no value unless there's a team in the middle of August that wants to pay a low 2nd to add some depth. Trouba is Trouba.

It's not looking good fellas. We couldn't move them out during the draft nor during FA day and we added no salary so Drury doesn't expect to move out salaries.

Let's give up on the notion that we're going to make changes to the core.

These players are entitled, Zibanejad believed they were right there with the Panthers and played well.

Anyone who doesn't support gutting the morale and entitled attitude of the players is a shill. You have to let the blood out even if it creates a mess.

Also, Jeff Gorton is a massive chump.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
A little early to be comparing their drafting records, nobody Drury has drafted has even played an NHL game.
I mean we can judge the guys that Gorton has taken that have played NHL games. The Lias and Kravtsov picks are stains. Kakko (yes everyone else would have taken Kakko 2nd too) may be getting there. Lafreniere took a position change and playing with two all stars to finally look good. Rangers don’t pick in the lottery enough to be bombing those picks.

Reactions: 100Eyes and RGY

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I mean we can judge the guys that Gorton has taken that have played NHL games. The Lias and Kravtsov picks are stains. Kakko (yes everyone else would have taken Kakko 2nd too) may be getting there. Lafreniere took a position change and playing with two all stars to finally look good. Rangers don’t pick in the lottery enough to be bombing those picks.
After taking Kravtsov his stock rose and was ranked the top NHL affiliated prospect by TSN, at the same stage people would be calling him a steal. We don’t know what Perreault, Othmann (who doesnt seem to have had a great year) will do, sure you can say Gortons drafting was bad but Drurys is just an Incomplete. He also takes random way off the board guys who every scouting report says “isn’t the fastest guy” same way we always have. I think drafting has always been a weakness for the rangers lol

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
After taking Kravtsov his stock rose and was ranked the top NHL affiliated prospect by TSN, sure you can say Gortons drafting was bad but Drurys is just an Incomplete. He also takes random way off the board guys who every scouting report says “isn’t the fastest guy” same way we always have. I think drafting has always been a weakness for the rangers lol
Thats fine. I think incomplete is fair for Drury. I’d rather have “incomplete” than “bad”.

Reactions: bhamill

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
The Rangers management looks incompetent right now IMO. It’s not all Drurys fault, but we’re coming off a Presidents Trophy season and we seem closer to a rebuild than a Cup. If this team can’t improve 5v5 then they’re not going to win anything. I don’t think it’s out of line to question some of his moves at this point.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I'd make a play for Askarov before I pay Igor north of 10M. Maybe this is a deal to throw Kakko into.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I don't think anyone believes burying him in the AHL would be a long term "solution." The NYR don't want to have JT's 6.85m still on the cap all year, but even moreso, I don't see Trouba riding buses for more than 2 weeks before he asks out of NY.

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I don't think anyone believes burying him in the AHL would be a long term "solution." The NYR don't want to have JT's 6.85m still on the cap all year, but even moreso, I don't see Trouba riding busses for more than 2 weeks before he asks out of NY.
It may be a way to force his hand, or even better he doesn't report & we terminate his contract.

Reactions: bhamill and mas0764

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
if Drury wasn’t an incompetent boob he’d be working on finding a replacement for Shesty now.

Instead he’s going to bend over and give him 13/8

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
would prefer something like Troub + lesser pick for 2 2nds
period
clean
no adding deadwood
pix are yr friend

younger usually = better b'c
1) while exceptions to every rule, rule is youth = mo energy and in deep PO runs, energy + stamina > age w/experience
2) youth is cheaper than seniority vets who cost more. Lower payroll = greater cap space = better roster flexibility

better yes
youth yes
YOUTH WILL BE SERVED

see RB comments below
most of those guys are meh or subpar, and in isolated instance where any is an instant upgrade, the prob is these guys not gonna take 1-2 yr deals, w'o trade protection, even if you overpay.
Given that, best option is not sign and create prob down the road
Develop from within, BUILD, and if opportunity knocks, be prepared w/available resources + cap space

Scanlin is our go to if/when we deal Lindy for picks, which is nec including to make a statement to Zib, bread, etc
Scan would be first guy to crack roster if Lindy still here

Harpur solid clear the crease, not a pylon but room to improve skating. Focus, work hard on that. He's yr 7th. Fine w/Schneid

Robertson is x factor
for whatev reason, he has not gotten call.
He MUST be brought up, growing pains and all, and broken in. If he is truly a bust, then let us know this asap, and move on. But that is NOT know.
Stop favoring vets
play youth, accept temporary pain for long term gain

Concur
Roy 6 yrs = stay away
surprised Pesce did not get more, Rs could not expect sweetheart deal

Get ready for Tyler Motte to B lock the kids Bern !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad