Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
i liked this post but have to clarify: Drurys post round 1 drafting appears to have been savvy and deliberate - in service of a vision for roster construction that I can get behind (size and skating emphasis on bottom 6 types for consistent flow of depth to supplement high cap dollar top 6 talent).

Gorton's recouping assets when tearing it down however was not great. Miller/Mcdonagh return sucked, Nash return was good, Etc.

The McDonagh-Miller trade yielded -

A young center
A young D
A 1st
a 2nd that could turn into a 1st
a roster player

Thats 4 potential cost controlled assets and a body that they turned into more draft picks. Did he identify the wrong guys? Yeah. Did he not get back enough considering that Miller also went in that trade? Also yes. Did it turn out f***ing terrible? 100000%

But that trade had a ton of pieces coming back.

He also had 8 1st round picks in 4 years (9 before the Trouba trade.) In terms of stock piling futures, I think he did a good job. I don't think he (or the people he had working under him, more accurately) did a good job utilizing those futures and yeah, that falls on him.

Its funny that his last draft here is the one that is likely to bear the most fruit even though they had fewer picks in that one than they had in the previous 2. I also don't think it's a coincidence that seemed like it was the one draft where they told Bobrov to go sit in a corner and play with the iPad (the 1 euro they took semi early.... is probably the worst pick they made that year LOL.)

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The slavin contract is a good comparison.
Slavin is the ideal contract that miller could get.
Slavin got 6ish, and so maybe miller gets a bit more but I can’t see 8ish.

I hope you are right and I hope Miller gives the hometown discount Slavin did, which doesnt seem likely based on the apparent hurt feelings Staple's article talked about.. Skjei just got paid more than him in a no income tax state. We're over a barrel with k'Andre. He's our only top 4 LD.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I hope you are right and I hope Miller gives the hometown discount Slavin did, which doesnt seem likely based on the apparent hurt feelings Staple's article talked about.. Skjei just got paid more than him in a no income tax state. We're over a barrel with k'Andre. He's our only top 4 LD.

What hurt feelings?

I also wouldn't take anything Staple says seriously. He tried to manufacture fanfic about Laf having pre draft character concerns and off ice issues last summer to try to throw wood onto that burning fire before Laf broke out.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hey Folks,

Please read:

The Trouba stuff has gotten way out of hand. I am not one to censor people's opinion or views. That is not what this place is about. However, bringing Trouba's wife and family into the discussion is off-limits and is against the rules. It's is personal crap and defamation towards a player, and it's disgusting. I don't care how bad Trouba has played for us, you don't bring his wife and family into the discussion.

I ask to please move on from the discussion to the best you can, until there is more news. Because without any more news it's going to be a continuous circle of Trouba bashing, going nowhere.

If you have any issues or questions please feel free to PM myself or another mod.

Thanks

Leo

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I would say Slavin is way better than Miller.
I would as well too, but in terms of a comparable player and style of game.
Slavin is a big physical defensive defenseman. He occasionally puts up points but it’s not really his primary game.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
What hurt feelings?

I also wouldn't take anything Staple says seriously. He tried to manufacture fanfic about Laf having pre draft character concerns and off ice issues last summer to try to throw wood onto that burning fire before Laf broke out.

Article in the Athletic yesterday. Name dropped Goodrow and Miller's agent who feels "slighted" by the Goodrow exit. Arthur also outed one of his sources there methinks.

I get that Brooks has always been click-thirsty, but he is really going full Lady Whistledown this summer. I half expect his next article to begin, “Dearest Gentle Reader—“

The rangers playoff exit has forced me to hand over the remote and watch Bridgerton every night. The show is more painful than the agony of defeat.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The Rangers have a cap issue for 25-26. That's the issue. Igor wants a blank check. The Rangers don't have an alternative. The goalie trade market sucks. The Rangers can get a first round pick but that doesn't mean much. The Rangers need the entire $8M cap hit for Trouba off their books next summer.

I'd make a play for Askarov before I pay Igor north of 10M. Maybe this is a deal to throw Kakko into.
Looking at his numbers, I'm not sure he's that much of a better option than Garand (whom I don't see as an option this year).

Askarov's numbers in the AHL regular season are certainly better, but he hasn't been as good in the playoffs. Meanwhile, Garand had been the opposite. His numbers in the regular season have been mediocre, but he's been lights out in the playoffs.

I really can't see the Rangers handing the net to either one. Not after we made it to the ECF and have aspirations of going further next year.

I think the only plausible option, other than re-signing Shesty, would be to trade him for another goalie with at least a few years left on a reasonable contract. Maybe Binnington or Demko. I can't see Drury doing that either, but you never know, I guess.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
There was always speculation that Brooks got info from Sather. Wonder if there was anything more to Glen hanging it up? Maybe he leaked something that shouldnt have been and out and it went sideways from there?

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
What hurt feelings?

Staple is a complete know-nothing Isles fan. Don't worry about what he writes.
The McDonagh-Miller trade yielded -

A young center
A young D
A 1st
a 2nd that could turn into a 1st
a roster player

Thats 4 potential cost controlled assets and a body that they turned into more draft picks. Did he identify the wrong guys? Yeah. Did he not get back enough considering that Miller also went in that trade? Also yes. Did it turn out f***ing terrible? 100000%

But that trade had a ton of pieces coming back.
I can't tell if you're defending the trade or not? It was an awful return. The quantity of assets was not the issue. The assets themselves were dogshit. It was a thorough, schoolmasterly humiliation administered by Stevie/Brisebois and received by Gorton. Just awful.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
Time to send Trouba to HFD to send a message to the rest of the core. They have been trying to dictate what happens with this team for far too long. Started with Strome throwing coaches under the bus and has continued with the ridiculous bromances who need to hold each others hands while they play. Lets see how long his pampered ass is willing to sit on the bus for 5 hours going Cleveland, Springfield, Scranton, etc. Once he finally decides not the report and we can void his contract, even better.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The biggest disappointment of the Trouba stuff is that this was the Rangers last shot at it before Laf/Miller/Igor gor from ~11M against the Cap, to potentially 20-25mil. Now we are stuck in neutral with a team we are pretty sure isnt good enough. Changes the calculus long term for me. If Igor is hellbent on making 11-12mil+ or more, he needs to be traded now.

We tried the elite goalie stuff with Hank. We got further with him and a less talented team. Im not sure I want to sign up for another 10 years of that when it didnt work the first time around.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Staple is a complete know-nothing Isles fan. Don't worry about what he writes.
I can't tell if you're defending the trade or not? It was an awful return. The quantity of assets was not the issue. The assets themselves were dogshit. It was a thorough, schoolmasterly humiliation administered by Stevie/Brisebois and received by Gorton. Just awful.

No the trade sucked. We have enough hindsight to allow us to come to that conclusion. 2 of the 4 pieces aren’t even in the NHL, Nils (who they took with the 1st) is the 10th defenseman on Dallas’ depth chart and Howden exists.

I was just saying he got a ton of pieces back for those guys. Not enough even at the time but if you’re looking to fill your pipeline with quantity (and some quality, Hajek sucked but he was highly regarded before the trade) he certainly did that.

He whiffed on those pieces, for that we can shit on him.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Time to send Trouba to HFD to send a message to the rest of the core. They have been trying to dictate what happens with this team for far too long. Started with Strome throwing coaches under the bus and has continued with the ridiculous bromances who need to hold each others hands while they play. Lets see how long his pampered ass is willing to sit on the bus for 5 hours going Cleveland, Springfield, Scranton, etc. Once he finally decides not the report and we can void his contract, even better.
Panarin and Zibanejad call the shots in this organization , it’s always been obvious

Reactions: Graves97 and Atax

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
The biggest disappointment of the Trouba stuff is that this was the Rangers last shot at it before Laf/Miller/Igor gor from ~11M against the Cap, to potentially 20-25mil. Now we are stuck in neutral with a team we are pretty sure isnt good enough. Changes the calculus long term for me. If Igor is hellbent on making 11-12mil+ or more, he needs to be traded now.

We tried the elite goalie stuff with Hank. We got further with him and a less talented team. Im not sure I want to sign up for another 10 years of that when it didnt work the first time around.
I feel you completely, but until the defense is repaired and improved, elite goaltending is needed. It's a chicken-or-egg-first question, though.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I feel you completely, but until the defense is repaired and improved, elite goaltending is needed. It's a chicken-or-egg-first question, though.

Sometimes you need to take a step back to take a step forward. Its been a crutch too long. And Id love Igor back if the AAV was in the 10s, but if he wants the world Drury has no choice but to trade him.

Reactions: will1066

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad