Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Not getting in on Chychrun is really infuriating the more I think about it.

For the price he went, there isn’t another move Drury could have made that would have cleared up so many issues. Like, even if you don’t move Trouba…. Jones could remain 7th D. Adding Chychrun would have been just what the D needs.

Sure, we are short on veteran forwards. Bring in Othmann and Berard and add a vet at the deadline then.

Not using the $5m we spent on Reilly Smith on Chychrun instead is really really bad.

I think Ottawa made a hockey trade there. They needed a RD desperately and got a pretty good one in Jensen. I doubt Trouba wouldve waived to Ottawa of all places. he wont even go home willingly.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

For the price he went, there isn’t another move Drury could have made that would have cleared up so many issues. Like, even if you don’t move Trouba…. Jones could remain 7th D. Adding Chychrun would have been just what the D needs.

Sure, we are short on veteran forwards. Bring in Othmann and Berard and add a vet at the deadline then.

Not using the $5m we spent on Reilly Smith on Chychrun instead is really really bad.
Someone can correct me, but Chychrun has a 10 team no trade right? Maybe NYR are on it.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

Smith is at 3.75m.
I’m not upset at not getting Chychrun, to be honest, I’m not sold on him any more than his last couple of teams apparently were. But I get your sentiment.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I would have loved Chychrun but the elephant in the room is, what is he looking for on his next contract? $7m? $8m? Someone is going to pay him that on a 7 year deal. Hell,. Washington may pay him that on an 8 year deal. There's no way for the Rangers to fit in that contract next off-season with Miller, Lafreniere and Shesty. That's the problem.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Trouba did nothing wrong by not submitting his NTC list until July 1. His agent strategically picked teams which would not trade for him. 15 teams this season and 12 teams next season.
That’s fine, but Trouba still knee capped them. Whether he had to the right to do so or not doesn’t matter. He did.
We have no way of knowing this but Gorton would have done a better job than Drury putting the final pieces together.
Yeah Gorton is doing a great job getting those final pieces together in Montreal by the way. Gorton couldn’t do anything either unless it fell on his lap
Drury doesn't know what he is doing. First time GM. Drury has traded a million draft picks and hasn't filled one hole on the roster.
Yes - this is the stuff people CAN get mad at Drury about. He has certainly made his share of mistakes. But at least he was trying to do something about it. You say Drury hasn’t filled holes; which to an extent is true but also a lot of that is because Gorton left him with terrible contracts like Trouba’s that he has had to navigate the cap around.

Reactions: RGY

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Gorton would have definitely traded a first for Kane. Just like he traded assets for Trouba to then sign to a massive deal, and how he traded assets to get Adam Fox who was probably coming here anyway. Both guys were trained by Sather. Draft picks optional mentality. I dont really have an issue with that, its just how they both operate. Gorton traded a first rounder and a 3rd for Kirby dach like last year, I dont think we are better off with him
Drury traded a first for Kane lol it just so happens the team stunk and he got bailed out where the pick didn’t convey.

Listen I think Gorton is an average GM but what you’re saying here lacks context. When they traded for Trouba he was one of the most highly regarded RD in the league and every team in the league was giving him that money. They paid the price for Fox to get him a year early and not roll the dice of him being enticed by another team.

I sort of laugh when people say Gorton is the Antichrist and Drury is so much better. Drury learned to be a GM at his knee and was involved in all the moves Gorton made.

The gap between them is basically nonexistent, despite what some want to believe.

Reactions: tiggles

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I would have loved Chychrun but the elephant in the room is, what is he looking for on his next contract? $7m? $8m? Someone is going to pay him that on a 7 year deal. Hell,. Washington may pay him that on an 8 year deal. There's no way for the Rangers to fit in that contract next off-season with Miller, Lafreniere and Shesty. That's the problem.

If k'Andre has a good year, he's getting 8-8.5, and would deserve it. I rag on him but yesterday was an eye opener. A lot of guys nowhere near as good as Miller got PAID. I am really rooting for a good year by him. The team needs him to develop into a top pair LD, and there is money earmarked for him if he can do it.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Drury traded a first for Kane lol it just so happens the team stunk and he got bailed out where the pick didn’t convey.

Listen I think Gorton is an average GM but what you’re saying here lacks context. When they traded for Trouba he was one of the most highly regarded RD in the league and every team in the league was giving him that money. They paid the price for Fox to get him a year early and not roll the dice of him being enticed by another team.

I sort of laugh when people say Gorton is the Antichrist and Drury is so much better. Drury learned to be a GM at his knee and was involved in all the moves Gorton made.

The gap between them is basically nonexistent, despite what some want to believe.

Who says Drury is better? I feel like the prevailing (or at least louder) opinion is that Drury sucks. Drury has had his share of misses and we havent advanced past the ECF so, even Im down on him now, but Gorton is the one who signed Panarin and Trouba, and Drury has had to live with those existential boat anchors since day 1. That's whats held us back. Pizza man will win me back if he and Lavi break up the golf pairs and actually build a lineup that works with all 20 players.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

With Lindgren here, do the Rangers need 2 of their dman that are injury prone. This was Chychrun 1st season as being healthy and play all 82 games. Played 48 last season and 47 the year before that. Not worth the risk

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
In theory, if Trouba and his agent went scorched earth and no team is going to take him, couldn't the Rangers waive him to start the season and when no one claims him, just shuttle him on paper to and from the AHL to accrue cap space? I mean, with a $1m contract it's probably not worth the headache, but $8m?

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Are we seriously criticizing Drury for not being able to move Trouba while applauding Jeff Gorton dreaming “what if” he was still the GM when he was the one who traded for Trouba and HANDED HIM THAT ALBATROSS AAV WITH THE NMC All WHILE KNOWING HE FORCED HIS WAY HERE FOR HIS WIFES CAREER? SERIOUSLY??? GTFO here with that shit. Stop brining up Gorton. Enough. Clown shit.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If k'Andre has a good year, he's getting 8-8.5, and would deserve it. I rag on him but yesterday was an eye opener. A lot of guys nowhere near as good as Miller got PAID. I am really rooting for a good year by him. The team needs him to develop into a top pair LD, and there is money earmarked for him if he can do it.
For the record, I wanted us to scrape every bit of cap and extend KAM like 6.25-ish x 8 and fill our F etc needs from within, which was best cap mgt
Instead we did Bonino, etc = favoring vet foolishness

We can only hope we can unload some of higher salaries sooner than later, and get KAM nto the fold max-ish terms fpr lowest possible #.

Go get Shea Theodore.

This can’t be the team.
proceed w/extreme caution
and

patience, patience

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In theory, if Trouba and his agent went scorched earth and no team is going to take him, couldn't the Rangers waive him to start the season and when no one claims him, just shuttle him on paper to and from the AHL to accrue cap space? I mean, with a $1m contract it's probably not worth the headache, but $8m?
The minimum salary this year is $775,000, so the max that you can bury is that plus $375,000--or $1.15m. So even if they actually kept him in Hartford all year that would be the maximum amount they could save, they'd still be on the hook for the other ~$7M regardless.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005

Yeah, but we gave up a second and a fifth for one year of Reilly Smith.

If a third and whatever the draft pick equivalent of Nick Jensen is, would have been accepted, that's the same outcome. Rent and maybe lose the player next year.

But if they could move Trouba I'm sure they can re-sign him.

You can't bury that much space in the AHL.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
For the record, I wanted us to scrape every bit of cap and extend KAM like 6.25-ish x 8 and fill our F etc needs from within, which was best cap mgt
Instead we did Bonino, etc = favoring vet foolishness

The extensions don't kick in till the current deals run out, so signing Bonino last year has nothing to do with a Miller extension, even if the extension was signed last year.

But I agree the earlier you sign the extensions, the cheaper they are, so that when they DO kick in, it's less than if you sign them next year.

For that reason, Drury needs to get some of these guys signed NOW.

Shesterkin definitely needs a little pressure applied, as he's barking about wanting 14% of the damn cap or whatever. Saaros just got under $8m.

Both of these are negotiating positions, but Drury needs to have the stones to actually be cutthroat about it if Shesterkin won't sign for a reasonable amount that is much closer to Saaros than what he's asking for.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Yes, but it doesn't make sense for them to do that because their alternate options are worse players. And it doesn't accrue 8M it's just the amount that can be buried. Oh, unless you mean play him but just demote him on off days. I guess that would work. However, they're not going to have a regular player essentially ineligible to practice.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah they can waive him, but by then it’ll be too late to do anything unless by trade

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Its becoming more and more obvious with some of drurys quotes yesterday/how hes approaching this offseason that hes planning on taking major runs at draisaitl/rantennen a year from now

You cannot as an NHL GM have your plans contingent entirely on someone else. There's at least a 75% chance that Edmonton will give him whatever he asks for. Future hall of fame centers generally do not go to UFA in their prime. You might as well count on Crosby coming here.

A lot of posters concluded that he's heading off the Igor/Laf raises. Maybe. There are a lot of options next offseason. But within a few years Panarin, Kreider, ZIb are going to be older than Messier when he won the cup with us. We will be a gray-bearded core without cup winning credentials.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad