GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2024

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Zegras makes just under 6 million for two years. We are already over the cap unless we carry 20 players.

In order to fit him, we would have to move out 6+ million to cover zegras plus league replacements for other players moved out). Glass and Fabbro arent going to cut it. Novak, Glass, Fabbro = 8.5 Million. 5.75 for zegras, 2.75 for replacements of fabbro and glass. Could possibly get 3 players with that to get the roster to 21. Would need to add more value to get them to accept (they probably arent overly interested in Glass/Fabbro) but just showing how much cap we gotta move to make someone like zegras fit on the team

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Anaheim will probably want askarov Novak and a 1st bare minimum for zegras. Maybe even another one of our prospects. Then we would have to dump glass and fabbro in separate deals

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Hmmm . . . maybe we're starting to get to the root of why Poile rarely landed a big name free agent?
I dunno, Duchene was kind of like the biggest name in his free agent year. The main thing is, really top players seldom make it to unrestricted free agency, right? Paul Kariya and Jason Arnott were free agents Poile signed.

Reactions: Kat Predator

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It probably starts with a replace top 6 player, prospect, and a 1st. Think Novak, Wood/Surin/Kemell, 1st
Agreed and then you got to dump atleast glass and fabbro which may cost an additional 3rd or so each if we cant find a legitimately interested team.

Im sure Poile is working the phone trying to figure out what we can do cap wise. Not sure who all are on the table for trades. There was supposedly lots of interest in Novak prior to the deadline so im sure we could find a taker there but i dont think that really benefits the team right now which is what this free agency seems to of been about.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Thoughts on signing Deangelo to play top pair with josi??
That’s a no from me. I’d love to find another legitimate to RHD to put with Josi and run something like:

Josi - ????
Skjei - Fabbro
Lauzon - Carrier
Schenn

But with the current cap situation I think that ship has sailed and unless Molendyk or another youngster forces his way onto the team we’re probably looking at Fabbro or Carrier on the top pair with Josi, at least at even strength.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I just don't see Stastney not in the line-up. He's already proven he can play NHL minutes. At his age the AHL is a detrimental to his development.
I don't think you'll find anybody here who would disagree about his readiness.

The only catch is that he's still exempt from waivers, and if the Preds are scraping the ceiling on the Salary Cap or are worried about losing Del Gaizo on waivers, it's entirely possible they would make a decision on sending Stastney back that has nothing to do with his readiness or development. I don't think Trotz sees the AHL as "detrimental" no matter what. :dunno:

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
He’s got good numbers… I just heard he used to have bad attitude. I dunno
I don't know all his numbers... he is skilled offensively, putrid defensively, and his "attitude" may depend to some extent on your politics (although it really shouldn't - there shouldn't be room for some of that stuff on either side) ... I suspect it will be possible to have good-looking numbers in some ways on some good teams, like especially Carolina the way they tilt the ice for some of the common possession/chance types of advanced stats. But he's a terrible defender, regardless. He would get eaten alive here.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Y’all may want to start getting real comfortable with the defensemen currently on the roster as the defense they’ll have this season like it or not.

They’re currently just a little over $500k under the cap not counting the RFA’s that will be playing on the roster. Trotz has got to move one or two pieces just to make those fit on the roster. Wishing and hoping for a trade for players like Trouba or Gudas that have 4-8M cap hits is mathematically impossible. Hopefully Schenn will have an improved season because he’s not coming in injured and has had plenty of time to figure out how to play and n Brunettes’s system.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Y’all may want to start getting real comfortable with the defensemen currently on the roster as the defense they’ll have this season like it or not.

They’re currently just a little over $500k under the cap not counting the RFA’s that will be playing on the roster. Trotz has got to move one or two pieces just to make those fit on the roster. Wishing and hoping for a trade for players like Trouba or Gudas that have 4-8M cap hits is mathematically impossible. Hopefully Schenn will have an improved season because he’s not coming in injured and has had plenty of time to figure out how to play and n Brunettes’s system.
Yep. We're actually in the position Trotz wanted to exploit last season. We will be forced to get rid of players. Defensive improvement and depth will have to come up through the system at this point, barring some crazy trade involving bigger contracts, which would be antithetical to what Trotz did this week.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I don't know all his numbers... he is skilled offensively, putrid defensively, and his "attitude" may depend to some extent on your politics (although it really shouldn't - there shouldn't be room for some of that stuff on either side) ... I suspect it will be possible to have good-looking numbers in some ways on some good teams, like especially Carolina the way they tilt the ice for some of the common possession/chance types of advanced stats. But he's a terrible defender, regardless. He would get eaten alive here.
Ok well now I know lol. Please don’t sign him hahaha
Didn’t realize he was that bad

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011

Mathematically impossible? Lol
Other team retaining and we move guys like Schenn fabbro carrier glass or whatever. It’s very possible. Not likely but very possibly.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
DeAngelo happens to have supported the wrong political candidate so a good portion of the hockey world (media, journalists, and keyboard warriors) have a bone pick to with him.

I would welcome him to Nashville should he come over

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't really want Trouba... he sounds like he has priorities ahead of hockey... which I don't blame him for... but is also not that good at hockey anymore (if he ever truly was). :dunno:

I guess GIVE him to me at 50% retention and I'll take him anyway. At $4M AAV for just 2 years and $6M real cash money out over those 2 years, he's probably still good enough to help our woeful D. But let's not lose sight of the fact that he got 22 pts and was a minus player on a really good team last year. His reputation definitely vastly surpasses his on-ice performance the last little while.

If we added $4M to our Cap via Trouba, for free, it'd cause us more than enough additional headaches just to make room. That's enough right there. If New York wants to get rid of him so badly, give him to us at 50% retention AND take Glass back. So there! :eviltongu

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
DeAngelo happens to have supported the wrong political candidate so a good portion of the hockey world (media, journalists, and keyboard warriors) have a bone pick to with him.

I would welcome him to Nashville should he come over
The unfortunate thing these days is that "supported the wrong political candidate" isn't just... hey, I support a different taxation policy or wish to reduce government spending or whatnot. It has grown to encompass outright racism and other things which really shouldn't be political, which seems to be where DeAngelo's views became an issue. Most hockey players are probably "conservative"... both socially and in terms of more classical conventional fiscal policy... but they don't all get called out for that. DeAngelo went somewhere else in terms of expressing his views.

Last edited:

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Mathematically impossible? Lol
Other team retaining and we move guys like Schenn fabbro carrier glass or whatever. It’s very possible. Not likely but very possibly.
Schenn isn’t getting traded. They just re-signed Carrier so he’s not going anywhere either. Moving Fabbro and Glass free up 5 million, leaving 5.5 million n cap space. Of that 5.5 million in cap space, the RFA contracts of Parssinen, Tomasino, Stastney will hit the NHL cap and the RFA contracts of Del Gaizo and Wilsby could possibly hit the NHL cap. So yes mathematically impossible. Trotz isn’t going in to the season with zero cap space left, he’s clearly stated this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad