Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Hartford is not realistic nor leverage...The Rangers aren't wasting $7M on cap space to have Trouba ride the buses in the AHL.
I’m not saying it would happen, but if assigned Trouba would not be there for long anyway. I think he would very likely cooperate. It’s a matter of who wants to call whose “bluff” or who is willing to go to the wall.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I don't think "circumvention" is the right word -- "collusion" seems more appropriate.
Colluding to circumvent? I guess what we want to label it doesn’t matter. “Trading” a player by a waiver and “separate” deal that appears to be related compensation would gain the ire of the league and the NHLPA.

Reactions: majordomo

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I would think that the Trouba situation will be resolved one way or another long before we'd even be able to assign him to Hartford. There's zero chance this drags on into camp--he'll either be gone or we'll have kissed and made up (to some degree) and he'll be sticking around.
I’m trying to look at this with a glass half-full approach and hope this situation is motivating him to come back better next year (if he doesn’t get traded).

If the Detroit deal doesn’t pan out and he’s still going to be traded, I liked RB’s idea of Dallas. I don’t think they’d move Marchment, but they have the need with losing out on Tanev

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yeah, I'd only take Kane's old ass at a discount... I'm talking a Blake Wheeler-esque deal, lol.
I'm fine with giving him money, but it has to be short term. We can give him 6mil or plus for next year easily no? After that it gets harder. Or then you sign him for 4 years at 3mil or something, could do that. Either or. You wanna desperately play in New York? Show it.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Nate Schmidt would be a solid addition as a #7 if he’d come to NY.

The fact that talk on Lindgren has been silent makes me think there is an opportunity to move him.

I truly don’t think Drury goes in to next year with a near identical team.

Also, with Stamkos hitting UFA, I get the sense that may have paused the Trouba to Detroit talk.
Schmidt is beyond cooked……
Winnipeg is going to be celebrating in the streets he’s off their roster.

Reactions: NikC

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I would think that the Trouba situation will be resolved one way or another long before we'd even be able to assign him to Hartford. There's zero chance this drags on into camp--he'll either be gone or we'll have kissed and made up (to some degree) and he'll be sticking around.
Me too. That’s the absolute worst case scenario. Also, I don’t think he would report tbh…
at that stage he’d prob sit out and wait for a trade

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I would agree these are the two most likely scenarios.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It’s the same thing with most of these guys. Yes, he was overpaid, but at $1m? He’s not worse than Kulikov…
I was advocating for kuli on a 1-2 yr deal. Thought he’s a capable 3rd pair vet and was coming off a solid year in Minn at the time….
Only times he was exposed was when they relied on him to do too much.
I’d stay away from Schmidt…. Rather have Gus back if he wants to grab a cheap vet. At least he’s familiar with running the system.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I was advocating for kuli on a 1-2 yr deal. Thought he’s a capable 3rd pair vet and was coming off a solid year in Minn at the time….
Only times he was exposed was when they relied on him to do too much.
I’d stay away from Schmidt…. Rather have Gus back if he wants to grab a cheap vet. At least he’s familiar with running the system.
I haven't watched him, but the people in the buyout thread are saying he's still a good dman, just not worth what he was getting paid.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Trouba’s situation will be resolved. The one thing that he won’t be doing is going to the AHL where the vast majority of his money still counts and his trade value gets cratered.

Chytil is virtually immovable right now until he shows he can stay healthy and produce.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Trouba’s situation will be resolved. The one thing that he won’t be doing is going to the AHL where the vast majority of his money still counts and his trade value gets cratered.

Chytil is virtually immovable right now until he shows he can stay healthy and produce.

Buy him out

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
May be overly optimistic, but I think Trouba would actually get claimed if he were waived. Only 2 years left on his deal at 6m per of real money. It’s fairly reasonable for a non-cap team. If he were a UFA this year, what would he get? Just a guess, but probably something like 3-4 years at 5-6m per.

Anyways, if he’s not claimed, he’s definitely tradable and probably has value with 50% retention.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Buy him out
We have until 5 pm today to buy him out in the regular window. The only other option is the second window, which only opens if arbitration is elected for Lindgren (whether elected by him or the team).

If Trouba is going to be bought out, it probably means that Lingren will be re-signed. I still think a trade is more likely.

Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad