Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
May be overly optimistic, but I think Trouba would actually get claimed if he were waived. Only 2 years left on his deal at 6m per of real money. It’s fairly reasonable for a non-cap team. If he were a UFA this year, what would he get? Just a guess, but probably something like 3-4 years at 5-6m per.

Anyways, if he’s not claimed, he’s definitely tradable and probably has value with 50% retention.
I was going to write something about Drury playing with fire, waiving two very well liked veterans. How that would sit with the locker room and the players around the league.

Then I decided, f*** it. That's the way it should be. Playing for the New York Rangers should be a privilege, not a right. And if you aren't contributing enough, consider yourself gone. Vegas is still an attraction for the players, and look how shit they treat theirs. They just throw overboard whoever they need to, to get better.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

If Trouba is going to be bought out, it probably means that Lingren will be re-signed. I still think a trade is more likely.
I don’t see Lindgren resigning as part of the plan. Let’s step back a bit. What’s the reason for Trouba’s trade? It’s his cap hit “efficiency” but it’s the cap hit to be spent. So the next question is on what position. There are really two spots 1LD and 2RW. Getting 1LD IMO means that Lindgren is moved. Keeping him around on the 3rd pair will once again result in cap inefficiency. Also moving Lindgren while still having one more year of RFA control could also be a factor in finding a good trade.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The thing about him being waived and claimed, there's still the distinct possibility that he doesn't want to go to the team that claims him. He was pretty particular in leaving Winnipeg about where'd he go and I think it's clear that right now he's being particular about where he'd be willing to go. If his agent for example puts it out there that he's really only open to playing for five other teams, then even the waiver option becomes less realistic.

Of course anyone can still claim him, but that team then has to deal with a potentially uncomfortable situation.

If Trouba wants to be a real hardass about it, which is his right, a buy out would be the only option where we have the control. I don't see that magically materializing in the next two hours, which leads me to believe Drury thinks he'll be able to get a trade done.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So f***ing what? He fails to report, the team will terminate his contract and he's a free agent. And loses out on millions of dollars. It's not his choice, he goes or he's out of a job.
My point is I don't think a team would claim him if they believed he didn't want to play there. Teams don't want that headache.

Imagine you're, I don't know, Calgary. You claim him knowing he doesn't want to play in Western Canada. He reports, because of course he will, and is unhappy. Sulking. Publicly requests a trade. And has a big cap hit. Now you have to deal with that, after just claiming a guy?

You can take the "so f***ing what" approach to it but that doesn't resolve the potential conflicts lots of teams face when acquiring Trouba, especially through waivers.

Reactions: bernmeister

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
My point is I don't think a team would claim him if they believed he didn't want to play there. Teams don't want that headache.
What is the headache? If a team claims him, it's most likely a shitty team that's not in on top D free agents (or trading for a top defender) anyway. There is no risk. If they call Trouba and he says he will not play for them, they will suspend him without pay. It doesn't count against the cap.

I mean Goodrow didn't want to go to San Jose either, they were on his NTC. He's still going to report, because he likes to get paid for playing hockey.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
What is the headache? If a team claims him, it's most likely a shitty team that's not in on top D free agents (or trading for a top defender) anyway. There is no risk. If they call Trouba and he says he will not play for them, they will suspend him without pay. It doesn't count against the cap.

I mean Goodrow didn't want to go to San Jose either, they were on his NTC. He's still going to report, because he likes to get paid for playing hockey.
How many teams are itching to bring a potential malcontent into the fold?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I built out the scenario above.

It's not as if Trouba hasn't gone through a messy, public separation with a team before. And he may be doing so now.

The transactional stuff that you're focused on is pretty cut and dry, but that's not really what I'm talking about. Whatever, not worth arguing over. I think he'll end up being traded, eventually.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I built out the scenario above.

It's not as if Trouba hasn't gone through a messy, public separation with a team before. And he may be doing so now.

The transactional stuff that you're focused on is pretty cut and dry, but that's not really what I'm talking about. Whatever, not worth arguing over. I think he'll end up being traded, eventually.
In a sense, you are right. On the other hand, we just saw Goodrow have San Jose in his NTC, getting waived there, and being upset about it. And I doubt anyone is talking about it when the training camp starts.

Money is a hell of a motivator for these players.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Too much typing and speculation from some that (may be enthusiastic, which is great!) but have no idea what they are talking about.

Trouba would be claimed. There’s no buy out. His options are somewhat limited, it’s up to him how ugly he wants to make it.

This weekend is about getting the emotions down, and the logistics in place.

I think we have an official Detroit announcement tomorrow.

Reactions: mas0764

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Trouba is going to try to decapitate Mika when Zibs has his head down from a bad pass in his skates by Patrick Kane.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don’t see Lindgren resigning as part of the plan. Let’s step back a bit. What’s the reason for Trouba’s trade? It’s his cap hit “efficiency” but it’s the cap hit to be spent. So the next question is on what position. There are really two spots 1LD and 2RW. Getting 1LD IMO means that Lindgren is moved. Keeping him around on the 3rd pair will once again result in cap inefficiency. Also moving Lindgren while still having one more year of RFA control could also be a factor in finding a good trade.
I suggested that a buyout of Trouba would likely mean that Lindgren is re-resigned because the only way we can buy out Trouba after 5 pm tonight is if we settle the arbitration case with Lindgren. I don't think trading him after he elects arbitration would qualify to open the 2nd buyout window, but I may be wrong on that.

But like I said, I still think a trade is the more likely option.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Is there anything solid out there that suggests that Trouba is making this difficult other than the speculation of what and his agent “can” do?
I mean if he was fully cooperative, the deal probably would be done already. When EF and others have said that deal is being worked upon and even close, that's obviously coming from one/two of the teams.

Re: England vs Slovakia

Did you watch that game? That was an awesome comeback. England, bitches.
I would've enjoyed the drama of an England loss. It's kinda like the Maple Leafs losing in playoffs, except 100 times better.

That said, not sorry that Z loving Slovaks are out of the tournament.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I suggested that a buyout of Trouba would likely mean that Lindgren is re-resigned because the only way we can buy out Trouba after 5 pm tonight is if we settle the arbitration case with Lindgren. I don't think trading him after he elects arbitration would qualify to open the 2nd buyout window, but I may be wrong on that.

But like I said, I still think a trade is the more likely option.
Understood. I don’t think buyout is part of the plan. If anything there maybe more than one team that could be looking into obtaining Trouba.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $14,488.00