Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I never understand why
Folks want a clarification of why the Trouba thread was locked?

As soon as there was some kinda doubt and a rebuttal from potentially Trouba’s camp that this is even true, it became speculation ,which is what this thread is for.

So did they jump the gun? Possibly but want to keep things clear to that it has become rumor and speculation now, so not to confuse people thinking a deal is most likely going to happen and is imminent.

It may very well still happen and if it does can make a new separate thread to discuss. Right now it’s speculation and rumor and it belongs here.

Thanks!

Leo
I think this is more than just speculation that the rangers want to move him and have talked to the wings. Theres various outlets all reporting it has serious legs, some even reporting how trouba feels about it.

Reactions: Kravtsov420

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Again, I doubt any of these rumors with Detroit are true and I doubt we are looking to trade Trouba. This reeks of bad Intel. EF and Larry are already walking it back with EF saying what I said in the Trouba thread, that "people" may have taken this too far based on simple run the business requests that all teams make.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Again, I doubt any of these rumors with Detroit are true and I doubt we are looking to trade Trouba. This reeks of bad Intel. EF and Larry are already walking it back with EF saying what I said in the Trouba thread, that "people" may have taken this too far based on simple run the business requests that all teams make.
It's RamseyGate all over again.

• Haha
Reactions: MrAlmost

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
No one can say with certainty, but it's a bit naive to think talks haven't progressed at all.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Rangers could go over the cap by up to 10%. The last resort would be buying out Trouba in all of this. That penalty for this year & thus savings is what they know could be the minimum they could go over the cap if they cannot make a trade happen or he goes unclaimed on waivers.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
If none of the Trouba’s rumors were coming from the NYR, and lacked all credibility, wouldn’t the team have tried to aggressively walk them back via Brooks or Staple?

If the NYR played no part in putting this out there, they played a risky game letting it ride to potentially generate interest vs immediately shutting it down given all the logistics to this deal and the fact that the player is so prominent in the org.

If the NYR played a part in putting this out there, before having their ducks in a row, it is incompetence of the highest order.

Neither reality is a good one and neither reflects well on this FO.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
If none of the Trouba’s rumors were coming from the NYR, and lacked all credibility, wouldn’t the team have tried to aggressively walk them back via Brooks or Staple?

If the NYR played no part in putting this out there, they played a risky game letting it ride to potentially generate interest vs immediately shutting it down given all the logistics to this deal and the fact that the player is so prominent in the org.

If the NYR played a part in putting this out there, before having their ducks in a row, it is incompetence of the highest order.

Neither reality is a good one and neither reflects well on this FO.
The rumors for sure came from our side. Brooks isn't putting out a 4:30AM article unless he has full trust in the source.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If we look at the teams still in need of defensemen the list is LONG.

Tanev is going to Toronto
Pesce is going to NJ
Rumors of Montour to Utah
Rumors of Dillon to NJ
Myers re-signed

Roy
Walker
Zadorov
Cole
Schultz

The list of UFA d-men is growing shorter. There will be teams who miss out on their guys and need a top-4 defenseman. That’s when the list for Trouba’s services likely expands.

I’m still looking right at Nashville. It make sense after losing McDonagh

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I could not disagree more.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY

Pesce is going to NJ
Rumors of Dillon to NJ
Myers re-signed

Roy
Walker
Zadorov
Cole
Schultz

The list of UFA d-men is growing shorter. There will be teams who miss out on their guys and need a top-4 defenseman. That’s when the list for Trouba’s services likely expands.

The team that potentially claims Trouba is a team incapable of signing a UFA and has the cap space to do so. If Utah is really in on the Zadorov sweepstakes and misses (which seems likely), it will be interesting to see if any of their fallback plans actually come to fruition.

Reactions: NYR Viper

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Pesce is going to NJ
Rumors of Dillon to NJ
Myers re-signed

Roy
Walker
Zadorov
Cole
Schultz

Don’t forget Skjei. Saw him linked to Nashville somewhere.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
You could be right. Maybe Larry schilling for the Rangers. Putting out there that if a Smart and respected GM like Steve Yzermen is interested, maybe they should be too.
I think back to when Kevin Weekes tweeted that the Rangers had a fourth round pick on the table for Kravtsov.
I threw a lot of shade on him for weakening Drury’s position.
Turns out he was overtly/inovertenly helping when Kravtsov got moved for a 7th.
And for this Kevin Weekes iam truly ashamed.

Reactions: MrAlmost

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don’t want to hear anything about the Rangers “incompetence” here. Tampa did this exact same move to McDonagh last year when they threatened him with the trade to Columbus. Alls fair in business, and if Trouba is upset he should’ve played better. Drury wanted this out there imo.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I don’t want to hear anything about the Rangers “incompetence” here. Tampa did this exact same move to McDonagh last year when they threatened him with the trade to Columbus. Alls fair in business, and if Trouba is upset he should’ve played better. Drury wanted this out there imo.

Not sure if you’re referring to me…the incompetence I am talking about if if the deal falls through. I.e. Drury put it out to the media too early to increase bids, giving Trouba the chance to block it with his formal 15 team submission, killing the deal and resulting in the options being hoping for a waiver claim, being forced to go to a buyout, or keeping a captain who is now a public malcontent.

I agree w everything you said.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Drury is extremely tight-lipped *when he wants to be*. It doesn't mean he always is.
He's obviously a smart dude who thinks several steps ahead. I'm sure he's very aware of Overhart's rep around the league, so it would be out of character for Drury not to play this out in his mind move by move like a chess match.

Anything is possible & I doubt it will ever come to light, but at this point it's all just speculation by all of us.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Not sure if you’re referring to me…the incompetence I am talking about if if the deal falls through. I.e. Drury put it out to the media too early to increase bids, giving Trouba the chance to block it with his formal 15 team submission, killing the deal and resulting in the options being hoping for a waiver claim, being forced to go to a buyout, or keeping a captain who is now a public malcontent.

I think there are levels to this. Whether you love or hate the core it’s impossible to deny we’ve all felt some complacency from the team. Drury shining a light on the fact that these guys are very comfortable. Every player should be on notice regardless of outcome here. Winning is the only thing that matters.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

But now the cats out of the bag , how can Trouba continue to be on the team after it’s made public they’re trying to get rid of him, if he does everything in his power to prevent the Rangers from getting rid of him, that would be a huge distraction . They’d probably take the C from him. Does he love NY that much to go through another season or 2 like that?

Crazy to me.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
But now the cats out of the bag , how can Trouba continue to be on the team after it’s made public they’re trying to get rid of him, if he does everything in his power to prevent the Rangers from getting rid of him, that would be a huge distraction . They’d probably take the C from him. Does he love NY that much to go through another season or 2 like that?

Crazy to me.

I have a tough time envisioning this happening as well. We’ll see what happens I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad