Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
did anyone else see Stamkos was offered an 8 year deal for $3m per season and he turned it down. That’s clearly a contract they don’t expect to have the player around for. Probably one that is easy to buy out or bury.

Theoretically, Stamkos or Kane?

Also, I heard multiple times that the Rangers want to get YOUNGER this offseason. To me, that means they may be looking at younger UFA’s…

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Also, I heard multiple times that the Rangers want to get YOUNGER this offseason. To me, that means they may be looking at younger UFA’s…
Or RFAs. Or younger players under contract.

Sharangovich would be a good target IMO. I wonder if we might trade for Marino if we move Trouba. He makes 4.4 mil for 3 more years, which would eat up the majority of our cap savings from the projected Trouba deal, but he's only 27 and a solid player.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Or RFAs. Or younger players under contract.

Sharangovich would be a good target IMO. I wonder if we might trade for Marino if we move Trouba. He makes 4.4 mil for 3 more years, which would eat up the majority of our cap savings from the projected Trouba deal, but he's only 27 and a solid player.

Alexandre Carrier was a guy who popped in my brain when they kept saying get younger.

I also wonder if a young center is coming back for Trouba. Veleno?

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Only situation where I’d be fine with retaining is if we don’t take a big salary back. I’d do Trouba straight up for Copp but for 2.5 retained I’d want an actual valuable prospect.

Did we not qualify Matthew Robertson? I’ve read a few posts here sounding like moratoriums on his NYR career but haven’t seen anything official
I know Mollie Walker had an article that said the Rangers aren't expected to give the QO to either Trivigno or Robertson, the latter being mildly surprising to me. I trust what she said, though. The deadline technically isn't until Monday, but it sounds like the decision has been made.

Reactions: mike14 and Fitzy

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I know Mollie Walker had an article that said the Rangers aren't expected to give the QO to either Trivigno or Robertson, the latter being mildly surprising to me. I trust what she said, though. The deadline technically isn't until Monday, but it sounds like the decision has been made.
I liked Robertson when I saw him in his first Traverse City tournament....however, he hasn't really progressed as much as I thought he would. The injury he had really didn't help his progress either. At this point in time, I'm not surprised at their (supposed) decision.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I liked Robertson when I saw him in his first Traverse City tournament....however, he hasn't really progressed as much as I thought he would. The injury he had really didn't help his progress either. At this point in time, I'm not surprised at their (supposed) decision.
Yeah my thinking with Robertson was that given he's still a young 23, they'd want to give him another year to try to show he has a future. His play the past three seasons hasn't really warranted it, other than a few stretches. I guess though if they've decided he doesn't have it, then no sense keeping him around. I also had to remind myself he's not a Drury pick, so there's no real attachment.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Yeah my thinking with Robertson was that given he's still a young 23, they'd want to give him another year to try to show he has a future. His play the past three seasons hasn't really warranted it, other than a few stretches. I guess though if they've decided he doesn't have it, then no sense keeping him around. I also had to remind myself he's not a Drury pick, so there's no real attachment.

I wonder if he’s one of those AHL players that quietly asked for a trade that you never hear about, and it’s just Drury doing him a solid letting him pick his own team this summer to give him the best opportunity in the league, knowing it wasn’t going to be here.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Interested to see what kind of return Trouba brings with 2.5M retention. Will put to the test the idea that he had any sort of positive value. Also I’m kinda disappointed to see that Kane and Stamkos are the names popping up, neither is an answer to any of the Rangers problems at forward. Like I said I wouldn’t mind Kane but if the top 6 is the same as last year except Kane included the same outcome will result.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Interested to see what kind of return Trouba brings with 2.5M retention. Will put to the test the idea that he had any sort of positive value. Also I’m kinda disappointed to see that Kane and Stamkos are the names popping up, neither is an answer to any of the Rangers problems at forward. Like I said I wouldn’t mind Kane but if the top 6 is the same as last year except Kane included the same outcome will result.

I think Kane is being sold short. He’s the best natural RW we’d be going into the season with since Buch left. Older players can still have an impact and he showed he wasn’t cooked last year. Marty St. Louis raised the game of everyone on the team at 39 once upon a time. They’d still have ample space to upgrade the 3rd line and defense.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
For Kane, honestly it comes down to cost and term. 1 or 2 years around $3-4M AAV is probably the best the Rangers are going to get for that RW spot with Kreider and Zib. Unless Stamkos is reasonable and they shift Zib to RW.

Reactions: bleedblue94

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think Kane is being sold short. He’s the best natural RW we’d be going into the season with since Buch left. Older players can still have an impact and he showed he wasn’t cooked last year. Marty St. Louis raised the game of everyone on the team at 39 once upon a time. They’d still have ample space to upgrade the 3rd line and defense.
Kane is also deficient when it comes to doing anything the rangers need to improve on, which is board battles, puck retrievals, forechecking. It’s just going to be more rush-based, east-west offensive attack. If he’s going to play with Kreider and Zibanejad it’s the same issues as they have had for years. Upgrading the 3rd line and 3rd pair D isn’t really enough to overcome that.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
For Kane, honestly it comes down to cost and term. 1 or 2 years around $3-4M AAV is probably the best the Rangers are going to get for that RW spot with Kreider and Zib. Unless Stamkos is reasonable and they shift Zib to RW.
Stammer hasnt played center regularly in years. He is a winger at this point fyi. Stammer and zib on the same line would be putting two of the same player together with no natural playmaker on the line. Stammer is a better skating version of zib

Reactions: UAGoalieGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad