Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
They’ll spend more than half of it on Tanev
I highly doubt they’d turn around and give that money to another RD.

Kane wants to make things right and the Rangers are aggressively pursuing him. He allegedly wants a deal that’s about double what he was making last year (which puts him at around 5.5-6 million). Which is the exact amount of space this move frees up if Brooks is right, and he probably is.

Not saying it’s a lock. but in this scenario if it walks like a duck and talks like one…..

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I am open to 2.5 retained and hopefully a better return
I was expecting to take Holl back, who makes 3.5 for the next 2 years. If we can retain 2.5 and not take anyone back, even better.
Can't we just waive him & NOT retain?
I don't see why any team would claim him on waivers. There's interest, but that interest is likely predicated on us either retaining or the other team sending salary back. If we can clear 5.5 mil, that's a huge win for us.
Only situation where I’d be fine with retaining is if we don’t take a big salary back. I’d do Trouba straight up for Copp but for 2.5 retained I’d want an actual valuable prospect.
Not Copp. He has 3 years left and makes 5.625 mil. If we have to take someone back, it should be Holl, but then we wouldn't be retaining.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yay let’s spend cap on more small skill guys who are older and disappear when things get rough, getting rid of Trouba just to get Kane is why this team is a joke
Too much here to respond to in one post but let’s not pretend that Trouba was somehow a positive factor this postseason in any interpretation.

I’m not sold on Kane at all. But I do think we are marginally better with him than Trouba. Before we factor in any additional cofounders.

My problem is I don’t think it takes us all the way to where we need to be. We need speed and depth. Kane doesn’t give us either

djzbad

Jun 10, 2022
Too much here to respond to in one post but let’s not pretend that Trouba was somehow a positive factor this postseason in any interpretation.

I’m not sold on Kane at all. But I do think we are marginally better with him than Trouba. Before we factor in any additional cofounders.

My problem is I don’t think it takes us all the way to where we need to be. We need speed and depth. Kane doesn’t give us either
Yea I went back and added getting rid of Trouba is a good thing cause I didn’t mean for it to sound like I wanna keep him at all costs

It’s what they may do with the cap saved I have a problem with and I don’t think Kane gets us to the promised land

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I highly doubt they’d turn around and give that money to another RD.
We've got to sign someone. I can't imagine we'll go into the season with Fox, Schneider and Mancini as our RHD.

Tanev turns 35 in December. He's coming off a 4-year deal @ 4.5 mil per. At his age, he's almost certainly getting less than both of those numbers. I'm not sure if he'd take a 1-year deal, but I'd be open to a 2-year deal if the AAV isn't too high. 2 x 2.5? I'm not sure that gets it done. Other teams may offer more.

• Haha
Reactions: bleedblue94

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I don't see why any team would claim him on waivers. There's interest, but that interest is likely predicated on us either retaining or the other team sending salary back. If we can clear 5.5 mil, that's a huge win for us.
Everything I've read says he's more valued around the league by GMs / teams than we feel on this board.

I wouldn't be surprised however if you're correct. Was just hoping to clear his entire hit.

Reactions: GAGLine

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
If the scenario was retain or take back a contract like Holl, what do we think the return is seeing that reports leading up to this said that Trouba does indeed have positive trade value?

Still afraid Holl is coming back as Detroit has Seider, Holl, Petry for RD.

May be they have another deal for Holl or will waive him?

Edit: They being Detriot.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Replacing Holl with Trouba is a net negative for the Rangers, and I’d honestly be disappointed if that were the move. Getting like $3m in cap and a 2nd isn’t nearly enough to run a RD group of Fox-Schneider-Holl

Reactions: UnSandvich

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
If the scenario was retain or take back a contract like Holl, what do we think the return is seeing that reports leading up to this said that Trouba does indeed have positive trade value?

If the Rangers get Justin Holl, it will be a record that we know who the whipping boy of fans will be by July 1st.

Reactions: bleedblue94

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
I was expecting to take Holl back, who makes 3.5 for the next 2 years. If we can retain 2.5 and not take anyone back, even better.

Not Copp. He has 3 years left and makes 5.625 mil. If we have to take someone back, it should be Holl, but then we wouldn't be retaining.
It’s probably better to take Holl back then the rumored 2.5m retention. Can just waive him at any point and his cap hit becomes slightly less than the 2.5m retained. Or can keep him on the roster for a year. Holl is overpaid, but still a serviceable 6/7 D who can play on the third pair right side this year. And the cap would be about the same as retention plus a min cap hit alternative.

There’s optionally too with his contract. After this year can add something to get rid of him if necessary to clear space. With retention, there’s no way to get that 2.5m cap off the books.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
We've got to sign someone. I can't imagine we'll go into the season with Fox, Schneider and Mancini as our RHD.

Tanev turns 35 in December. He's coming off a 4-year deal @ 4.5 mil per. At his age, he's almost certainly getting less than both of those numbers. I'm not sure if he'd take a 1-year deal, but I'd be open to a 2-year deal if the AAV isn't too high. 2 x 2.5? I'm not sure that gets it done. Other teams may offer more.
They’re going to sign another RD I just don’t think it will be someone of Tanev’s stature or salary. I believe he’ll get more than you listed from another team

Could see it being someone like Veleno and a pick. Detroit has an insane amount of cap space, not sure we’d have to take another big contract back

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
If the Rangers get Justin Holl, it will be a record that we know who the whipping boy of fans will be by July 1st.

Yeah, sorry when I said they in my last post I meant Detriot. Been dealing with covid for the last week, brain fog is real.

They’re going to sign another RD I just don’t think it will be someone of Tanev’s stature or salary. I believe he’ll get more than you listed from another team

Could see it being someone like Veleno and a pick. Detroit has an insane amount of cap space, not sure we’d have to take another big contract back

Too bad the trade couldn't be finalized today and that pick be a 2nd in this year's draft.

Too bad the trade couldn't be finalized today and that pick be a 2nd in this year's draft.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Nothing says it can't be if Trouba waives early. Sounds like they've already approached him & Detroit is clearly not on his list of teams he won't go to. It's all semantics at this point anyway...it's not like he has to report there today or tomorrow. He's probably at some 5 star golf resort anyway.

Started already
No it hasn't. Time zones are still a thing.

Reactions: EEL and UAGoalieGuy

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He is a 3rd pairing defensemen who was glaringly bad all season. He can’t make a breakout pass to save his life. He routinely is out of position. I love his leadership but I can’t see him playing a meaningful role on a Stanley cup winning team.

He’s not THAT bad. He was bad after his ankle injury but he’s a 4/5 who plays a very physical brand of hockey and has proven leadership skills. I mean Zadorov is exactly this and he’s about to get $6m long term.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I just hope this new found cap space is not squandered on UFAs and some of it is invested in extensions for this teams core 2.0 (Laff, Miller may be a trade addition to add to said future core)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad