2023-2024 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Friedman says that some expect the Blues to be active. Rutherford says the Blues are expeccted to be quiet.

View attachment 890291
This sounds accurate to me and Army’s usual MO.

Let the game of musical chairs play out. There’s always a few good players that overestimate their value and then after a day or two, they look around and see there’s hardly any chairs (roster spots) left and virtually none with the good teams they actually wanted to play for. They’re then left with what’s left - the Blues and other middling teams (and a few that are even worse options). Army can then sign them for cheaper - basic supply and demand.

Reactions: Blueston

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
If we bring Pietro back, I'm going to be furious. And I'm the VP of his fan club. To not sign him then, but to take the contract we wouldn't give him back at the tail end would be dumb. That contract was always going to be better on the front half. Then we are going to pay assets to get the back half only? There would have to be retention, or payment to take it on now.
I’d agree and I’m also one that’s consistently said that letting Petro go effectively closed the Cup window (ripped out our support beam as @PocketNines accurately puts it). But that window is slammed shut now! We need a #1D badly but a younger one for the next wave.

Maybe it’d make sense with a good amount of retention but I also seriously doubt it happens.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Kapanen is fine on a really cheap deal. Our best prospects aren’t ready or are returning to school so we need to fill out a lineup each night and he’s definitely one of the 12 best forwards in the organization currently. It’s only a problem if it’s a medium to long term deal which I highly doubt it is.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

200w.gif

Reactions: tfriede2

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'd rather take a risk on some other cheap vet or young player that didn't receive a QO, on the slim chance that they improve on a different team. I understand we know what we have in Kap, but might as well try for something else.
I didn't want him back after lackluster season, but at 1x1 we can literally let him rot in springfield at no cap charge if we have better options. of all the things to potentially be frustrated or upset about with this team, this barely registers for me.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I didn't want him back after lackluster season, but at 1x1 we can literally let him rot in springfield at no cap charge if we have better options. of all the things to potentially be frustrated or upset about with this team, this barely registers for me.
Also true, either way, it still falls in the who cares bucket. Not much benefit in Kap, and not much opportunity cost lost.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The only positive I can come up with is at least we can bury the entire contract if we want to. There’s always a plethora of fourth line guys to be had for league min. Why bring Kapanen back instead of doing that?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Do we know Kapanen is signing 1x1? Or is that just speculation. I'd be surprised if he didn't try other teams if that was our best offer. Last year was a career low for him. I'd try elsewhere even at $1m, if only to have a better chance at boosting my value on the next deal.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Wonder if we'll see more of the short stint of Kapanen we had after we acquired him vs the one that was tied to Hayes most of last season.

Regardless, I don't mind this 13/14th forward who can jump in and can be removed from the lineup when Snuggerud finishes his college season.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I like Kap and Toro as 2/3 of our 4th line, good on the PK, fast, can forecheck and disrupt, no skills but won't hurt us being on the ice 10 to 12 minutes a game

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I’d agree and I’m also one that’s consistently said that letting Petro go effectively closed the Cup window (ripped out our support beam as @PocketNines accurately puts it). But that window is slammed shut now! We need a #1D badly but a younger one for the next wave.

Maybe it’d make sense with a good amount of retention but I also seriously doubt it happens.

You mean Petro spurning our offer and joining the enemy effectively closed our window? Don't think having Petro at the contract Vegas gave him would have made much difference, and now we'd be in the same situation they are trying to get rid of him with a NMC.

Kapanen doesn't really move the needle much but I'd like him a lot more as a 4th liner making close to the minimum than a 3rd liner making what he did last year. He definitely showed glimpses of being a decent player, just not often enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad