Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
His zero even strength points in the series did that much to sway you?
Wasn't about points but I think goals count on the PP as well. For the whole series Fla probably averaged 1-2 goals a game ES. He was on the ice a lot. Obviously his coach liked his play. In our OT loss I thought Bennet and Reinhardt were looking hungry. Our fans clamor for guys that will shoot. Sam looked ready to shoot. He just looked really dangerous with the puck from 25 feet on towards the goal. I did not think he was that kind of player in Buf.

LannyMcdonald

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
Maybe i missed something or we’re talking about a different Kane. $5mm? Hard pass.

The Rangers signed Brendan Shanahan after his age 37 season in Detroit. He came to NY for 2 years and scored 62 points in 67 games followed by 46 points in 73 games but he was a difference maker on the ice and in the locker room for sure and it was a minimal risk move (low term).

I could see Drury looking at Kane similarly. 2 years @ $5m. Limited term, get a still productive veteran RW.

In everyone's eyes, Kane was coming back from a MAJOR surgery after missing all of Training camp and the first part of the season, at age 35, and scored 47 points in 50 games. I have to imagine that he is actually going to improve given a fully healthy off-season and training camp with his next team. 80-90 points isn't out of the realm of possibility. Could he unlock Zibanejad's 5v5 scoring game based on his passing from the right side to the RH shot/one time? That is partially why Zibanejad hit career highs with Buch who was passing from that direction.

I think signing a 3rd line winger there and playnig Berard on that 3rd line, pushing Cuylle down would be a good way to go into the season.

Panarin-Trochek-Lafreniere
Kreider-Zibanejad-Kane
Joshua-Chytil-Berard
Cuylle-Blueger-Edstrom

The big question is the defense but I like those lines going in to next season.

Reactions: majordomo

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
That's all part of the salary cap era to save cap space for the deadline. Also, thats why you have vets like Kreider, Zib, Panarin, Trochek etc around to mentor rookies. It would actually be a nice mix of vets and new blood. Young legs are extremely useful come playoff time, as evident by our exit.BTW they'll always be rookies if they are never given a chance. Othmann and Berard should have had some games this year to dip their toes in imo. Othmanns fake call up was a waste of time.
Sure, if this was year 1 of a rebuild that would be an alright strategy to throw 5 brand new NHL-hopefuls to the fire. Jones is the most tested of the bunch with 69 NHL games.

The Rangers are trying to win a Cup in the next 1-2 years here. Mentoring doesn't translate directly to on-ice contributions. They're still going to be untested and underprepared rookies, mentoring or not. They are not physically or mentally accustomed to the NHL, the pace, etc.

They will get their chances when they're ready. I didn't said anything about never giving them a chance, but giving all 5 a chance simultaneously isn't the move for a team that could actually stand a chance to win a Cup with some NHL-level tweaking.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Lmaooo if it ends up being Miller.
ezgif-5-8548ba0170.gif

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If the Rangers actually got rid of Lindgren and Trouba, my faith would increase exponentially.

And maybe they still don't win the Cup because it's hard, but I'm more willing to accept "hey, it's hard" if they make an honest effort to put good players at every slot in the lineup.
I don't think both of them are going to be moved, but it seems at the very minimum Drury recognizes this team as currently constructed is not nearly good enough. If he moves out Trouba, and makes the right additions at forward it would be a huge win.

Reactions: Machinehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad