Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
-give Kane 5Mx2

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kane
Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Cuylle-Chytil-Othmann
Vesey-Edstrom-Rempe

-Trade Kakko + 30th to SJ for Walman + 14th

-give Lindgren 3Mx8 (the Lamoriello special)

-draft future Trouba replacement with 14th

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Walman-Trouba

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
-give Kane 5Mx2

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kane
Cuylle-Chytil-Othmann
Vesey-Edstrom-Rempe

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Walman-Trouba

This team blows.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
-give Kane 5Mx2

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kane
Cuylle-Chytil-Othmann
Vesey-Edstrom-Rempe

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Walman-Trouba

Id need to be shocked back into consciousness if Drury gave Lindgren an 8 year deal at any number. he'd be playing the last 4 years of it in a full body cast.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Id need to be shocked back into consciousness if Drury gave Lindgren an 8 year deal at any number. he'd be playing the last 4 years of it in a full body cast.

Hed be a bad player for all 8 years.

I don't get the fascination with the guy. He's not good at anything that isn't PK. He's the defenseman version of Goodrow except we run him out there for 20 minutes a night because he has to play with Fox.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Rangers signed Brendan Shanahan after his age 37 season in Detroit. He came to NY for 2 years and scored 62 points in 67 games followed by 46 points in 73 games but he was a difference maker on the ice and in the locker room for sure and it was a minimal risk move (low term).

I could see Drury looking at Kane similarly. 2 years @ $5m. Limited term, get a still productive veteran RW.

In everyone's eyes, Kane was coming back from a MAJOR surgery after missing all of Training camp and the first part of the season, at age 35, and scored 47 points in 50 games. I have to imagine that he is actually going to improve given a fully healthy off-season and training camp with his next team. 80-90 points isn't out of the realm of possibility. Could he unlock Zibanejad's 5v5 scoring game based on his passing from the right side to the RH shot/one time? That is partially why Zibanejad hit career highs with Buch who was passing from that direction.

This team blows.

I think signing a 3rd line winger there and playnig Berard on that 3rd line, pushing Cuylle down would be a good way to go into the season.

Panarin-Trochek-Lafreniere
Kreider-Zibanejad-Kane
Joshua-Chytil-Berard
Cuylle-Blueger-Edstrom

The big question is the defense but I like those lines going in to next season.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the objective was to get bigger, stronger and faster.

On defense, yes. That's the root of our issues. Our d-man are too slow or passive or just plain bad to get the puck up the ice quickly to the forwards.

At forward we just need more production. At least enough to have 2 working PP units and some depth if one of our top forwards go down due to injury. We have plenty of size and grit at forward.

Reactions: Atax

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The Rangers signed Brendan Shanahan after his age 37 season in Detroit. He came to NY for 2 years and scored 62 points in 67 games followed by 46 points in 73 games but he was a difference maker on the ice and in the locker room for sure and it was a minimal risk move (low term).

I could see Drury looking at Kane similarly. 2 years @ $5m. Limited term, get a still productive veteran RW.

In everyone's eyes, Kane was coming back from a MAJOR surgery after missing all of Training camp and the first part of the season, at age 35, and scored 47 points in 50 games. I have to imagine that he is actually going to improve given a fully healthy off-season and training camp with his next team. 80-90 points isn't out of the realm of possibility. Could he unlock Zibanejad's 5v5 scoring game based on his passing from the right side to the RH shot/one time? That is partially why Zibanejad hit career highs with Buch who was passing from that direction.

I think signing a 3rd line winger there and playnig Berard on that 3rd line, pushing Cuylle down would be a good way to go into the season.

Panarin-Trochek-Lafreniere
Kreider-Zibanejad-Kane
Joshua-Chytil-Berard
Cuylle-Blueger-Edstrom

The big question is the defense but I like those lines going in to next season.

Kane is not really a fit no matter how much people want to paint it as one. He wont produce the way he did in Detroit and theres a ton of risk there even aside from that. You can't sell me on doing things differently and then do exactly what you've been doing this whole time.

I hate the forwards a lot less than I hate that defense where nothing that needs to change changed at all. Lindgren is a worthy top 4 defender for a lottery team that needs to soak minutes and isn't trying to win, not a supposed team with cup aspirations.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
The short answer is yes. He still scores at 5v5. The thing is, I think it's a misconception that we need 5v5 scoring. Kreider, Lafreniere, and Trocheck are very good to great 5v5 scorers. Panarin is a remarkable 5v5 scorer. The main reason this comes up is that Zibanejad is kind of poor at scoring 5v5 goals, but his assist rates are decent.

We need 5v5 play-driving. We don't forcheck, hold onto the puck, or turn possession into offense. In a series matchup, the other team can adjust to what our stars do 5v5 (and on the PP tbh) and we don't give the opponent a different look.

Kane would be more of that. He's not charging after a loose puck and starting a cycle.

He used to be the caliber of 5v5 scorer where you didn't worry about fit. He's not that anymore. He's just good at it.
You are describing Kakko if he could just process the offensive game a half step better.

Reactions: bhamill

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Hed be a bad player for all 8 years.

I don't get the fascination with the guy. He's not good at anything that isn't PK. He's the defenseman version of Goodrow except we run him out there for 20 minutes a night because he has to play with Fox.
I just wouldn't be surprised to see something like it happen, Drury had no issue giving term to a player like Trocheck so they could get him at a cheaper price, might be the same sort of deal with Lindgren. The FO is in love with him and he's still good to have for depth purposes.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I just wouldn't be surprised to see something like it happen, Drury had no issue giving term to a player like Trocheck so they could get him at a cheaper price, might be the same sort of deal with Lindgren. The FO is in love with him and he's still good to have for depth purposes.

Trocheck is actually good.

Lindgren regressed so heavily last year that if the FO decides that they want to keep him they should be fired before they even get the chance to make the decision. He isn't good depth, he's a detriment on every level on everything outside of the PK where he isn't exactly elite either.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Not for nothing but Ehlers scored at a 61 point pace and Kane scored at a 77 point pace last year.

I get the bear case on Kane but I feel lik people are just assuming he's old and washed when the numbers dont really bear that out.
Kane also had double the amount of powerplay points and doesn't skate like Ehlers..
Ehlers received 16 minutes a game and finished with a plus 27 while typically being a plus player all his career. (I know, know. +/-... )

I think Ehlers is actually a much better fit, but the issue is you're paying him with term, cap and assets. And you're doing that hoping he can stay healthy.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
-give Kane 5Mx2

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kane
Cuylle-Chytil-Othmann
Vesey-Edstrom-Rempe

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Walman-Trouba

Line one would have been awesome 5 years ago.

Reactions: tiggles

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Lindgren's a Torts guy, Farabee isn't. Seems too easy.
2 2nds >>> Fara

On defense, yes. That's the root of our issues. Our d-man are too slow or passive or just plain bad to get the puck up the ice quickly to the forwards.

At forward we just need more production. At least enough to have 2 working PP units and some depth if one of our top forwards go down due to injury. We have plenty of size and grit at forward.
no, size helps both F and D

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Over on the trades board, someone posted

1719435217830.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad