Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Also Arvidsson is a better option than Kane.

Will probably be cheaper too.

AFP has Arvidsson @ 3 years and $4.75m per season

AFP has Kane @ 2 years and $6.3m

I'm less concerned with 2 years as I am the cap hit.

I'd also be intrigued with some 4D chess where Drury:
1) signs Kane for 2 years
2) trades Kakko for McGroarty +
3) Signs Joshua for 3RW

Let McGroarty and Perrault marinate another year or so then it's time to make some decisions. Joshua, Lafreniere, Berard, Cuylle, Panrin, Kreider, Kane, Perrault, McGroarty. Deal from a position of strength

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Great post & what an honest to God STRENGTHENING this would be.
As far as the Laf thing, that's not something discussed here or elsewhere yet, but he very well may not "want" to be here & may desire MTL

Not time to discuss that probably but I agree that getting to AND past FL et all is going to take some dynamic moves.

Does Drury have that in him? Or is it running it back with a few minor moves?
I believe he does -- I just don't see how he can do it in the next year or two, especially with those albatross contracts. I don't see us as a player or two away from beating FL or winning the cup -- those games weren't as close as the scores indicated (IMHO). The first step is to upgrade the defense -- if he doesn't it won't matter what forwards we have.

Reactions: Riche16

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is Kane a good 5v5 scorer these days? I assume the answer is no

If no, seems redundant to bring in another PP feast or famine player

But he does help sell tickets and jerseys
The short answer is yes. He still scores at 5v5. The thing is, I think it's a misconception that we need 5v5 scoring. Kreider, Lafreniere, and Trocheck are very good to great 5v5 scorers. Panarin is a remarkable 5v5 scorer. The main reason this comes up is that Zibanejad is kind of poor at scoring 5v5 goals, but his assist rates are decent.

We need 5v5 play-driving. We don't forcheck, hold onto the puck, or turn possession into offense. In a series matchup, the other team can adjust to what our stars do 5v5 (and on the PP tbh) and we don't give the opponent a different look.

Kane would be more of that. He's not charging after a loose puck and starting a cycle.

He used to be the caliber of 5v5 scorer where you didn't worry about fit. He's not that anymore. He's just good at it.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The short answer is yes. He still scores at 5v5. The thing is, I think it's a misconception that we need 5v5 scoring. Kreider, Lafreniere, and Trocheck are very good to great 5v5 scorers. Panarin is a remarkable 5v5 scorer. The main reason this comes up is that Zibanejad is kind of poor at scoring 5v5 goals, but his assist rates are decent.

We need 5v5 play-driving. We don't forcheck, hold onto the puck, or turn possession into offense. In a series matchup, the other team can adjust to what our stars do 5v5 (and on the PP tbh) and we don't give the opponent a different look.

Kane would be more of that. He's not charging after a loose puck and starting a cycle.

Kane is like Skinner. It can't be the only move.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Someone over here who has a car ready to take him to the airport?

I'd pass out from laughing so hard. Mark Madden might drop dead on the spot.

This also tells me there will definitely be a market for Trouba if Drury chooses to go that route.

And even in the right context, I'd worry about him being with Panarin just because. I didn't like that fit at all in 2023.

Neither guy is the player they were in 2016.

Panarin-Mika-Laf
Kreider-tro-Kane

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'd pass out from laughing so hard. Mark Madden might drop dead on the spot.

This also tells me there will definitely be a market for Trouba if Drury chooses to go that route.

Panarin-Mika-Laf
Kreider-tro-Kane
Kreider-Tro-Kane was amazing for the 40 seconds they were together and then Gallant just decided he hates having the puck.

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
Someone over here who has a car ready to take him to the airport?

1000018249.gif

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Imo we need younger legs not an old repaired version of Patrick Kane. Ehlers would be an immense upgrade over him, and while the cap hits will be way different you still need to dress a better team than we had and I don't know if Kane makes us that much better.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Imo we need younger legs not an old repaired version of Patrick Kane. Ehlers would be an immense upgrade over him, and while the cap hits will be way different you still need to dress a better team than we had and I don't know if Kane makes us that much better.

Not for nothing but Ehlers scored at a 61 point pace and Kane scored at a 77 point pace last year.

I get the bear case on Kane but I feel lik people are just assuming he's old and washed when the numbers dont really bear that out.

Reactions: AirGut

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
How much better a team? We went to the ecf 2/3 years.
We just won the presidents trophy.

We have a core mostly locked up in deals that are mostly fair market value or bargains.

Aside from Trouba and Lindgren who’s wildly overpaid in our top 9/top 4, where we can upgrade without weakening a different aspect of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad