Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Reactions: nsvoyageurs

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Draisatl trade. Oil can’t let him go in to next year with no extension. Frees up cap to make a deeper roster for McJesus

I think the roster is already deep and they won't be able to do much better than Draisaitl with what ever they bring back.

If there are 2 teams that are going to load to the tits next year, it will be Edmonton and NYR.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Draisatl trade. Oil can’t let him go in to next year with no extension. Frees up cap to make a deeper roster for McJesus
Whatever happens with Draisaitl, I doubt even Ken Holland (or his follower) knows 24h after the cup was awarded.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't think he'll be moved, but I can see a sceanrio where a team who isn't on his protected list, and misses out on FA signings, does ask Drury just how much caphit the Rangers are prepared to eat.

Leadership/intangibles seem to mean a lot to GMs, he has hit 50 points (once) while running a pretty effective PP. So if the going rate for FA D is around $6m but they aren't coming to you, and you can convince Drury to eat $2.5m, why not make the trade? Especially as the cost would realistically be SFA and/or a contract you'd like to get rid of anyway

If a team misses out on FA signings for a RD after July 1, so all the good D are gone, why would the rangers then trade one of their top six d when there is nobody good left for them to sign to replace him?

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
If a team misses out on FA signings for a RD after July 1, so all the good D are gone, why would the rangers then trade one of their top six d when there is nobody good left for them to sign to replace him?
Because we can sign D as we appear to be a more attractive destination for a lot of FAs?
Or because we know see him a 3rd pair guys while someone else might see him as a 2nd pair one, so we sign a cheaper guy and then move him.
So Drury ends up having to weigh up the cost of retention and 'downgrade' versus capspace for other things plus a replacement.

Again, not expected, but also not outside the realms of possibility IMO

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It seems that beat writers like Brooks had reliable sources within Gorton's management team that would clue them in on things that were about to or could happen. Since Drury took over those avenues of information have more than less closed and instead of the real or actual we get more of the speculative or sometimes the beat writers mine sources from the league or other teams. Drury keeps things way closer to the vest than previous Rangers GM's. I don't put a lot of credence into the rumors flying about. It's not that they can't happen.....it's more that you can't count on them happening.

After the Rangers failed to get out of the conference finals Drury hinted that he was open to a lot of things. Comments like that are a bit cryptic. For instance among other hints was he was interested in bigger and tougher. I think there are 31 other teams interested in the same thing. People are throwing a lot of balls in the air right now. Trade Kakko....move up in the 1st. Get Zegras and Kane. Move Trouba. There will be more of this, that and the other. Will the Rangers make moves? Sure, they do every year and some might happen when free agency opens up.

What I expect is the Rangers to try to fill the top 6 hole that plagued them all of last year. I see them adding a defenseman. If they move Trouba they'll either bring a D back in the deal or they'll add another. I'd be surprised if they just let Jones walk into the Rangers 6.....they'll make him earn it. Some holes lower down in the lineup they should try to fill from within. Keeping in mind it's very unlikely they'll break training camp with 4 or 5 rookies. So there will probably be at least a little dumpster diving in free agency.

Reactions: leetch99 and AirGut

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I did, and Edge did too. The popular opinion on this board at the time was shitting on both Farabee and Brady Tkachuk leading into that draft. The hindsight on here is genuinely amazing sometimes.
Edge didn’t want Farabee. He liked Farabee but not with the tenth pick. That was pretty much the consensus amongst the guys that pay attention to prospects.

No one really wanted Kravtsov. We thought we were drafting Wahlstrom or Dobson. Farabee wasn’t a realistic first choice for anyone.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I did, and Edge did too. The popular opinion on this board at the time was shitting on both Farabee and Brady Tkachuk leading into that draft. The hindsight on here is genuinely amazing sometimes.
Also, I promise I’m not doing this to be a dick, but I went back and looked at the Kravtsov draft thread and it’s just too funny given what we are talking about right now.
IMG_8060.jpeg
IMG_8061.jpeg

Sorry.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Kakko was a bull with the puck too in the WCs and then looked like a child for 2 years in the show.

Krav owning the crease is crazy talk though. He was always this willowy guy stick handling on the rush.

Wahlstrom would have had a much better career in a different org that didn't play extreme caveman hockey.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Because we can sign D as we appear to be a more attractive destination for a lot of FAs?
Or because we know see him a 3rd pair guys while someone else might see him as a 2nd pair one, so we sign a cheaper guy and then move him.
So Drury ends up having to weigh up the cost of retention and 'downgrade' versus capspace for other things plus a replacement.

Again, not expected, but also not outside the realms of possibility IMO

The problem is it’s too late at that point. Everyone will have already signed.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
So.
And I sadly can’t use my preferred pejorative here, but it starts with an F.
What
Panarin has more points in 2 years than zegras in his 4 year nhl career. Mika has more points in the past 2 years than his career.

He’s never played a single playoff game, and were somehow anointing him the next chosen one.
I just want a little more attitude on this team and not a bunch of passive players or players who shrink. Laffy and Tro have that attitude and always bring it. He’s not a superstar and I’m probably not willing to pay the ransom the Ducks will want. But works hard all offseason and I have a soft spot for guys who take their offseason diet and training seriously. Good buy low option if he’s going for a low price. Stay away if the asking price is crazy.

Kakko was a bull with the puck too in the WCs and then looked like a child for 2 years in the show.
I thought Kakko was a slam dunk alpha personality I’m going to do what it takes to score against you. Then he came to NY and as you said looked like a child.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Friedman saying Konecny/Flyers not progressing. Id love him on the Rangers. I personally never had an issue trading with Philly and I feel like theyve done it a couple times. Drury and Briere also tight. its kinda funny that the both are GMing the teams they left Buffalo for big money. Farabee is a good option too.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Farabee would be a great add. His cap hit and term work out really well for us.

Zegras, I love the idea. His cap hit is fair, still has 2 years left and becomes an RFA. Maybe by some miracle Tuba would waive to go go Cali. They have a boat load of cap space, their right side is weak. They lost Drysdale (RHD) in the Gauthier trade. Zegras give's you flexibility. You acquire him to play RW in the top 6, and barring any injuries he shifts back to center. The other angle here... Zegras is 23. In 5 years or so Mika and Trocheck's careers are coming to an end, Zegras could be the eventual heir when that time comes. For now how this team is constructed, he slots in on the wing.. in the future he could be the center.

Tuba, 1st + Berard for Zegras?

Most of us are looking to ship out Tuba... but what if there's an offer of Schneider and a first for Zegras? That's a tricky one

That sounds like an insane overpayment.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Zegras, I love the idea. His cap hit is fair, still has 2 years left and becomes an RFA. Maybe by some miracle Tuba would waive to go go Cali. They have a boat load of cap space, their right side is weak. They lost Drysdale (RHD) in the Gauthier trade. Zegras give's you flexibility. You acquire him to play RW in the top 6, and barring any injuries he shifts back to center. The other angle here... Zegras is 23. In 5 years or so Mika and Trocheck's careers are coming to an end, Zegras could be the eventual heir when that time comes. For now how this team is constructed, he slots in on the wing.. in the future he could be the center.

Most of us are looking to ship out Tuba... but what if there's an offer of Schneider and a first for Zegras? That's a tricky one

I don't think Zegras is what this team needs right now, unless he's replacing Chytil. But I do think he ends up here ultimately. Training with Kreider & Prentiss is huge, because even if you think he's a bit distracted in his career now, I think attaching him to the hip with Mr. Ranger will lock him in.

If Drury is really looking at young "buy low" guys like Farabee and Zegras (and hopefully McGroarty), I like that line of thinking. We'd become a better team and get younger, and put a stable of players around Fox and Lafreniere's age range, for the next era.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

no x 2, first one ANA declines, second one we do

I have saiid Othmann + or Shesty + for Zeg ++

I don't think he'll be moved, but I can see a sceanrio where a team who isn't on his protected list, and misses out on FA signings, does ask Drury just how much caphit the Rangers are prepared to eat.

Leadership/intangibles seem to mean a lot to GMs, he has hit 50 points (once) while running a pretty effective PP. So if the going rate for FA D is around $6m but they aren't coming to you, and you can convince Drury to eat $2.5m, why not make the trade? Especially as the cost would realistically be SFA and/or a contract you'd like to get rid of anyway
I wouldn't expect too heavy on Lead/int but there is a premium imo for righties who can clear the crease.

Troub retained down 1.5 to 6.5 + 3rd for 2 2nds

everybody, stop being greedy and trying to force where we get some premium asset back for quality but flawed asset
TAKE DRAFT PICKS
can always use or bundle later

Panarin and Kreider + 1st for McDavid + Perry
NO pls stop
not enuf from EDM side and do not want POS Perry
Again take Mikkola + best picks and cap relief from FL for bread.
That is a real deal can be made tom.

again no
Once upon a time, Oil were a mess, Drai + for Shesty ++ was conceptually doable
now no
they have no serious cap juggling this season
they can wait
and whatev happens
unless either of LeoDrai wants out, they are both staying

Knicks made a huge trade including 4 first round picks. They are going for it. Will we be aggressive as well?
Need details, not sure all those picks are worth it
We need to move Randle if nec and keep both Hartenstein + robinson
we need to add Cs
rest of the roster is nice and not unimportant,
but lack of pivot depth is weakness of both Ks and Rs

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I don't think Zegras is what this team needs right now, unless he's replacing Chytil. But I do think he ends up here ultimately. Training with Kreider & Prentiss is huge, because even if you think he's a bit distracted in his career now, I think attaching him to the hip with Mr. Ranger will lock him in.

If Drury is really looking at young "buy low" guys like Farabee and Zegras (and hopefully McGroarty), I like that line of thinking. We'd become a better team and get younger, and put a stable of players around Fox and Lafreniere's age range, for the next era.

What would 3 of those trades look like

Imagine if Drury somehow get Farabee, Zegras and McGroarty this offseason. maybe he gets one at the draft to make a splash.

These would be smart moves.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
If the Buzz on Kakko and Trouba actually happens, it would give 23M in cap which is nuts. I assume they would lock up Lindy, have KAM and BS 2nd pair and sign Tanev, and also feel comfortable with Guenzel long term. Even after that there is still considerable space to sign solid 3rd liners.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I well hes not in a deal then lol

Trouba for Lauzon and Glass ?

Pretty sure Glass is their Kakko but as a 4th line C sure

Give me L'Heureux instead of Glass, even if Rangers have to add. He is a jerk to play against. Kinda like Sean Avery type. Real pest. 19 goals 48 points 197 PIM

Trouba, and Kakko to Preds for Lauzon, L'Heureux and Reid Schaefer?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
That sounds like an insane overpayment.

I wouldn't exactly call the 30th overall pick, a 3rd line prospect, and a guy who should have severe negative value an overpayment. And I'd certainly do the Schneider+30 overall too considering I think Schneider isn't any good. Trading him for a young forward is exactly what I'd look to do before signing him longterm/him losing value (prefer the Trouba trade option of course though)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad